• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US Supreme Court OT 2019

I just had a nap, did I miss CWII?

Definition of civil war

: a war between opposing groups of citizens of the same country

Everyone at Lexington and Concord was British.

CW#1 Started at the North Bridge on April 19 1775.
CW#2 Started at Fort Sumter on April 12 1861.
CW#3 ??? Maybe it already started, only through the lens of history will anyone know.

America has never had a civil war, so there's that...
I see you are in NH, so here are the first couple NH monuments I found:
Alstead-Civil-War-Monument.jpg.opt924x1328o0%2C0s924x1328.jpg

1421856_orig.jpg

Erected in 1910 and dedicated on Tuesday, 21 June 1910, with more than three thousand people attending the event. The monument cost $2500. The south side of the monument's base was inscribed with:
"Erected in 1910 - by the Loyal Sons and Daughters of Raymond in Memory of Her Soldiers and Sailors Who Served in the War that Preserved the Union". The other three sides were inscribed with the names of the following Raymond men who served during the Civil War (note: the inscriptions were not in alphabetical order by surname, they are listed as such here to aid in finding a soldier's name).
Abbott, Richard S.
Bartlett, Samuel G.
Batchelder, Daniel
Bean, Daniel R.
Brant, John B.
Brown, George W.
Brown, Johathan F.
Brown, John
Card, James C.
Cram, George B.
Cram, John E.
Cram, Orin B.
Currier, Hazen
Davis, Benjamin
Davis, Charles A.
Dearborn, John H.
Dodge, Charles E.
Dodge, Orin T.
Dwight, Cyrus W
Edgerly, Charles H.
Emery, Nathaniel W.
Ferren, H. Bell
Fogg, Alvin
Folsom, John D.
Fullonton, George S.
Fullonton, J. Francis
Gile, Elisha T.
Giles, John
Gilman, George W.
Gilman, Guilford F.
Gilman, John S.
Gleason, Edward T.
Gleason, Hiram G.
Gleason, Joshua L.
Gleason, Timothy
Gove, George S.
Greene, William B.
Griffin, William Y.
Healey, Abraham S.
Healey, David S.
Healey, George W.
Healey, Samuel
Healey, Samuel G.
Heath, Samuel M.
Hill, John H.
Hill, Robert
Hill, William E.
Holman, Jonathan P.
Johnson, George C.
Jones, Charles W.
Kennard, Robert P.
Lane, Josiah W.
Littlefield, J. Anson
Lowell, Abner
Magoon, David L.
Magoon, Nathan W.
Marsh, John
Moore, Elbridge G
Morrison, David
Morrison, Franklin P
Morrison, Horatio G.C.
Morrison, James K.
Nay, Samuel C.
Norton, Alden N.
Norton, David W.
Norton, Nathan
Nowell, Andrew C.
Osgood, Daniel W.
Osgood, David T.
Pecker, James
Perkins, Charles H.
Poor, Cyrus E.
Poore, Charles
Roberts, Andrew J.
Roberts, Aroy Q.
Robinson, George G.
Robinson, S. Henry
Robinson, Samuel H.
Rowe, George D.
Rundlett, Charles L.
Sargent, George P.
Scribner, James G.
Smith, John M.
Smith, Joshua
Smith, William
Spaulding, Samuel
Stevens, Charles
Stevens, James L.
Thurston, William H.
Tilton, Leonard G.
Tilton, Rufus A.
Tilton, Sewell D.
Towle, David W.
Towle, Elisha
Tripp, George
True, Agustus A.
True, Elias Jr.
True, Warren
Tuttle, Thomas R
Wallace, Chase O.
Wallace, William A.
Welch, James
Worthen, John F.
Worthen, Asa T.
Young, Isaiah G.

Over the years, the monument had been damaged and was in need of repairs. With the assistance of the Charles Canney Camp #5, the town had raised the funds needed to restore their Civil War monument. On Memorial Day, 2005, the rededication ceremony took place. For more on this event, see the project page:
Civil War Soldier's Monument Restoration Project

Too many to list here:

If your saying that "The American Civil War" was between the USA and the Confederacy, as 2 different countries, there is some truth to that.
1775-1783 and 1861-1865 were both wars for secession and independence.

A civil war is a war between factions trying to take over the same government. That was not the case in either of those conflicts.

That is not the definition of a Civil War.
That is exactly the definition of a civil war. It is a war between opposing factions of the same country. It is an "intrastate" war.

The American Revolution was not between British subjects: it was between Britain and the Americans who had declared themselves free and independent.

The events of 1861-65 was between the United States, and the Confederate states who had declared themselves free and independent.

In case I have to spell it out, let me say it plainly: the cause of the CSA, which was primarily slavery but included other economic issues, was wrong. Totally, 100%, dead wrong. I do not glorify, romanticize, or defend the cause of the South.

However, I will always defend the right of one group of people to break away from a government they find intolerable, because that is the most American idea that has ever existed.

That is exactly the definition of a civil war. It is a war between opposing factions of the same country. It is an "intrastate" war.

The American Revolution was not between British subjects: it was between Britain and the Americans who had declared themselves free and independent.
As I said before, there is some truth to what you say regarding whats called "The American Civil War" Being between 2 separate countries, and had the CSA won history would see it differently than it does today.

Whats called the "American Revolutionary War" fits every definition I can find for a Civil War.
As I said before, everyone at the North Bridge considered themselves British.
The 14,000 Massachusetts Militia Men that laid siege to the 3500 British Army Regulars in the City of Boston after the battle of Lexington and Concord were all British.
Being Americans came later.

Some other definitions of Civil War

civil war

noun
a war between political factions or regions within the same country.

Civil war, a violent conflict between a state and one or more organized non-state actors in the state’s territory. Civil wars are thus distinguished from interstate conflicts (in which states fight other states), violent conflicts or riots not involving states (sometimes labeled intercommunal conflicts), and state repression against individuals who cannot be considered an organized or cohesive group, including genocides, and similar violence by non-state actors, such as terrorism or violent crime.

The events of 1861-65 was between the United States, and the Confederate states who had declared themselves free and independent.

In case I have to spell it out, let me say it plainly: the cause of the CSA, which was primarily slavery but included other economic issues, was wrong. Totally, 100%, dead wrong. I do not glorify, romanticize, or defend the cause of the South.

However, I will always defend the right of one group of people to break away from a government they find intolerable, because that is the most American idea that has ever existed.
As I said before, there is some truth to what you say regarding whats called "The American Civil War" Being between 2 separate countries, and had the CSA won history would see it differently than it does today.

Whats called the "American Revolutionary War" fits every definition I can find for a Civil War.
As I said before, everyone at the North Bridge considered themselves British.
The 14,000 Massachusetts Militia Men that laid siege to the 3500 British Army Regulars in the City of Boston after the battle of Lexington and Concord were all British.
Being Americans came later.

Some other definitions of Civil War

civil war

noun
a war between political factions or regions within the same country.

Civil war, a violent conflict between a state and one or more organized non-state actors in the state’s territory. Civil wars are thus distinguished from interstate conflicts (in which states fight other states), violent conflicts or riots not involving states (sometimes labeled intercommunal conflicts), and state repression against individuals who cannot be considered an organized or cohesive group, including genocides, and similar violence by non-state actors, such as terrorism or violent crime.

I imagine the results of the war dictate whether it was revolutionary or civil. If Britain won the revolutionary war then the history books would say it was a civil war. If the south won the civil war then it would have been written in history as a war of independence.

So what would the process be for NH to peacefully secede from the USA.... asking for a friend.

Here are some interesting stats from SCOTUSblog on the Court's OT2019 term. Affirms much of what I thought about Thomas. Also interesting how often Kavanaugh ended up in the majority. He seems to be trying out for the 'swing' position.
Roberts is already a switch hitter that appears to prefer the left side of the plate. We don't need Kavanaugh trying out switch hitting...

This could be a game-changer: 9-0 ruling on Electors. Anyone have the data on which states have these laws, and which have laws that force Electors to vote according to the National popular vote? Thinking swing states are even more crucial now depending on their laws.

Link - Supreme Court - Faithless Electors

This could be a game-changer: 9-0 ruling on Electors. Anyone have the data on which states have these laws, and which have laws that force Electors to vote according to the National popular vote? Thinking swing states are even more crucial now depending on their laws.

Link - Supreme Court - Faithless Electors
Don't think so. Freewheeling electors were never, ever a serious concern. Several states have these laws, but from what I'm reading, even without a specific law, states can still keep thier electors from running amok.

Kagan is funny. This is how she cites herself in foot note one: "See Me. Rev. Stat. Ann., Tit. 21–A, §802 (2006); Neb. Rev. Stat. §32–710 (2016). "

Back
Top Bottom