USAF ditches ABUs, returns to real camo

General Goldfein said:
Fellow Airmen –

After careful consideration, we’ve made the decision to transition from the Airmen Battle Uniform (ABU) to the Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP) uniform. The following factors influenced this important decision for our service:

1. OCPs have been part of our Air Force uniform inventory since 2012. Over 100K Airmen have been issued OCPs for deployed use in CENTCOM, 100% of our AFSOC Airmen wear it as their standard, and all of AFGSC’s Security Forces members are authorized OCP wear. We are not adopting a new uniform, we are choosing the best of what is already in our inventory and in use.

2. Surveys of the force indicated that Airmen overwhelmingly prefer OCPs over ABUs for functionality, fit, and wear; specifically:
    1. OCPs work in all climates and across the spectrum of our mission sets. It is equally suitable on a flight line, in a launch control facility, and on a JTAC calling in fires.

2. OCPs are a better fit for both men and women. We heard loud and clear that the ABU has not been functional or sized correctly for women.

3. Already in our inventory and in use, the OCP 2-piece flight suit has overwhelming support from aircrew. This uniform will be authorized for all non-ejection seat wear and made available for purchase/issue. In addition, it will be tested for use in ejection seats for those who may prefer it over the one-piece flight suit.
  3. OCPs will become the joint combat uniform for Airmen and Soldiers while patches and nametapes will identify our respective services. Service distinction will be maintained in our Blues, Service Dress, Mess Dress and PT uniforms.

4. OCPs allow us to bring back squadron patches and heraldry which is central to our culture as Airmen. While we will no longer allow squadron colored T-Shirts with OCPs, we will celebrate unit integrity with appropriate patches and insignia.
OCP guidance and timelines are available for review on MyPers. In order to allow squadrons to develop patches and ensure the correct accoutrements are available, we have set 1 Oct 18 to begin wearing OCPs for those who have them. Transition details can be found in the guidance.

Thank you for your active engagement and your patience as we made this important decision for our service. We remain committed to listening to you, Airmen in the fight and command teams on point.

We’re proud to serve with you –

DAVID L. GOLDFEIN
General, USAF
Chief of Staff

KALETH O. WRIGHT
Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force

Airmen will have something like 2.5 years to switch over.

The Air Force is picking a new uniform. Does that mean it’s Thursday? They seem to do this kind of thing weekly. I can’t keep up.

As long as the ONLY people wearing flight suits are crew members CURRENTLY engaged in flying an aircraft, I don’t care what the rest of them wear.

This “everyone gets to wear a flight suit” crap from the early 2000s was as silly as the Army going to black berets.

Yes. I called them out too.

The deeper institutional problem is that the USAF isn’t looking for a new uniform. They’re looking for a new mission, a new identity. The independence of the old SAC days is gone, and once again they’re back in support of the ground pounders.

A vastly reduced strategic role. Must be very frustrating. I don’t blame them for wanting their people to feel relevant, but I do wonder how much it all costs.

Perhaps thats why the Civil Air Patrol has received a lot of ABUs just recently, and are authorized to wear ABUs now.

Interesting as the Navy is in the process of changing uniforms, again. They went from blue to green camouflage and are now looking to go back to dungarees. Complete waste of money

Uniform lifecycle vs extended wear dates, not really a problem, essentially just changing the color/pattern

Disagree with the poster above on the AF and it strategic, air dominance mission. Near peer competitors have made it a tougher mission

Interesting as the Navy is in the process of changing uniforms, again. They went from blue to green camouflage and are now looking to go back to dungarees. Complete waste of money

Ah yes, the Navy’s blue uniform, designed so that if a sailor falls overboard that they blend in well with the sea. Such a great idea.

I’m just happy for the two piece flightsuits. I love the bag but when it’s 120 degrees, not being able to take your top off of something that doesn’t breathe is not fun.

Back
Top Bottom