USPSA 3 gun equipment

I am hoping those of you that have shot in a 3 gun match can help out a newbie. Looking forward to shooting the three gun match at Harvard in June, but have never done it before. What do I need for equipment as far as loading the rifle and shotgun? Will be shooting an AR-15 and a Remington 870I have plenty of mags for the AR, but nothing to hold them in, and as far as the shotgun, all I have is my shell bag for trap. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

P.S. yet another pleasurable experience at Four Seasons tonight, kudos to Carl and the gang!

Nothing to hold your extra AR mags in? oh for shame!
I actually don't have anything I hold mine in either, I just clamped two mags together, so if I reload I'm just moving one mag over
If I need a third, I've got one 30rnder stuffed in my back pocket, thats quick enough to pull out, and if I have had to go through 60 rounds already, and need another 30, I should have started with a C mag

The shotgun- at least get yourself a bandolier to load from so you can wear it around your waist and not worry about tossing shells all over the ground when you're running

Matt has good suggestions but just to add, side saddle on the SG works, as do Cal Comp shell holders. I can hold 8 rounds on the gun and 18 in shell holders (If I could just figure how to reload I would really be all set)

For the AR, 45 round mag is nice with a 30 in a Kydex belt carrier.

Here are a couple links

SIDE SADDLE

BELT SHELL HOLDER

AR MAG HOLDER

I will probably be there. Look for the slowest guy there [wink]

Last edited:
Both Matt and Gary have good suggestions. Gary with actual equipment links. The Progressive Machine shotshell carriers are supposed to be the top of the line for use in Limited/Tactical class. I use Choate 6 round, and they work fine with some adhesive velcro stuck in the channel to keep the shells secure. Since you're using an 870 you won't be shooting Open, so the speedloaders don't have to be considered. The Brownell's/ BladeTech AR mag holders with the Tech Lok are the way to go. A clamp for the mags are a good thing to have for at least 1 pair. The only other thing is practice shotgun loading, it's all a reloading test!

The Brownell's/ BladeTech AR mag holders with the Tech Lok are the way to go. A clamp for the mags are a good thing to have for at least 1 pair. The only other thing is practice shotgun loading, it's all a reloading test!

I don't have much experience but that's what I have. One BladeTech mag holder that just snaps on and a mag cinch. Just make sure the mag on your belt isn't where it will jab you if you have to kneel or go prone.

If you order some shell holders from Brownells get some 12ga dummies, and practice loading them from wherever you put them. Loading the shotgun is the biggest time eater.

it does have a comp and a scope on it.
thanks for the offer round gun.....I think I'll take you up on that.

Find me at the match and we can squad together.

ShortBusRear1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom