• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA - I think I just hosed myself on a classifier.

allen-1

NES Member
We started shooting USPSA matches at my club here in Georgia last year, and we run them every other month. I'm gone part of the year, so I only shoot maybe four of them a year. The rest of the year I shoot IDPA matches and "contact" matches at my club in CT, (where "contact" are informal USPSA format matches).

Saturday we had 59 shooters and five stages including a classifier stage. Most of the match went about as I expected. I shot some of it well and some of it poorly. I ended up about in the middle, which is okay. I'd like to do better, but that's on me. We had some new shooters, and we had some guys that are seriously ranked competitors.

So - that's the background.

This was the first time I've shot a USPSA classifier stage. This one was labelled cm-03-03 "Take 'em Down". There's a diagram here: http://www.classifiercalc.com/classifier_diagrams/03-03.pdf

Basically, you start in a box, the beeper goes off, you shoot two paper targets from one side of the barricade, then two paper targets from the other side of the barricade, advance to the second barricade and shoot three poppers.

All paper gets two rounds, all steel must fall. It's Comstock rules. You can fire as many rounds as you want, the best two on paper count.

Loaded to division capacity, I shot "Production", which is 10+1.

If you do it right, you need 11 shots - if you do it wrong - well.

Unlike every other stage I shot, all of the shooting here was from a static position, and it's all pretty close up, 25 to the paper and 35 to the steel.

I shot it exactly as I planned it. I'm right handed, so I drew and shot to the left of the barricade, the outside target first, then the inner one. Pulled the gun in slightly, pushed it back out and shot the inner target on the right, then the outer target and as soon as I fired the second shot I moved to the second barricade. I basically "pied" the steels, working from the right to the left, one shot each.

I didn't hurry, but I shot the stage in 6.49 seconds. I KNEW I'd shot it well. I didn't realize I'd shot it that well until I RO'd the rest of squad and nobody came close.

This puts me way above my skill level. I'm good at shooting while standing still. That's not USPSA.

Have you checked the hit factor and calculated your percentage for that classifier on the uspsa webiste? What class would it put you in? Is that far above where you placed in production division (not overall) for the match?

Also Remember your classification us "U" until your first four classifiers, then top six out of most recent 8.

Have you checked the hit factor and calculated your percentage for that classifier on the uspsa webiste? What class would it put you in? Is that far above where you placed in production division (not overall) for the match?

Also Remember your classification us "U" until your first four classifiers, then top six out of most recent 8.

My hit factor for the classifier stage was 7.8582. My hit factors on the other stages, (where I actually had to move) were MUCH lower: 3.0091, 3.7585, 2.9543 and 3.3033. I don't know what class this would put me in, but it's not representative of my ability to shoot a regular stage. It's funny and it's sick. I'm betting I'll never shoot it that fast again.

My hit factor for the classifier stage was 7.8582. My hit factors on the other stages, (where I actually had to move) were MUCH lower: 3.0091, 3.7585, 2.9543 and 3.3033. I don't know what class this would put me in, but it's not representative of my ability to shoot a regular stage. It's funny and it's sick. I'm betting I'll never shoot it that fast again.

Maybe you're better than you think you are? Maybe you just need some competition to pull you up to the next level? I know I do better when I'm around people who are better than I am.

That is not one of the easier classifer stages. Congratulations, Your time of 6.49 is an impressive one, and dropping just 2 Charlie's adds to it.

I checked my history, I have shot that stage just once, in single stack major, so a reload was needed for me. My time was 8.08 and I dropped 4 Charlies.

Here is what it looks like, in a poorly recorded video

Last edited:
How certain are you about the time? You shot a 111%
a 16s run would put you in the C range (47%) which is probably more reasonable considering the overall match placement

Last edited:
How certain are you about the time? You shot a 111%
a 16s run would put you in the C range (47%) which is probably more reasonable considering the overall match placement

Damn good question, and one I keep asking. I didn't rush that stage. I felt good when I shot it. I planned it, and I shot it absolutely as I planned it, every motion, (not like there were very many). When I was done, I felt like I'd shot it in about 8 or 9 seconds.

The RO showed me the timer and that was the recorded time. (Subsequently entered into the Nook and uploaded). I didn't get called for jumping the clock. It's possible that the shot timer didn't record my last shot(?); but I asked the RO who ran me and he said he was on me and got my last shot.

It's my timer and we used it all day, didn't have any issues with it.

Damn good question, and one I keep asking. I didn't rush that stage. I felt good when I shot it. I planned it, and I shot it absolutely as I planned it, every motion, (not like there were very many). When I was done, I felt like I'd shot it in about 8 or 9 seconds.

The RO showed me the timer and that was the recorded time. (Subsequently entered into the Nook and uploaded). I didn't get called for jumping the clock. It's possible that the shot timer didn't record my last shot(?); but I asked the RO who ran me and he said he was on me and got my last shot.

It's my timer and we used it all day, didn't have any issues with it.

Sounds like its legit, congrats. Your best runs will never feel fast because there is no extra movement or extra thoughts

Nice run.

Don’t worry, that classifier will get flagged until you shoot a few more like that. You didn’t “hose” yourself.

I do the opposite. I tank classifiers and shoot stages well. (Some at least)

Back
Top Bottom