USPSA RIFLE @ New Bedford - Sunday 11/25/2012

Thanks to Matt for his camera work
[video=youtube_share;NBWu4VobwAA]http://youtu.be/NBWu4VobwAA[/video]

[video=youtube_share;erLxfYUmhxw]http://youtu.be/erLxfYUmhxw[/video]

A fun, but cold, day today at New Bedford. I couldn't ask for more - no melt downs other than a couple of missed reloads. One of these days I'll learn how to properly seat a fresh mag in an AR with a closed bolt.

Thank you everyone.

Don't get greedy, put 28 rounds in a 30 round GI mag and you'll be fine. [wink]

I failed to seat a mag there too, (it had 28 rounds in it)

Last edited:
Yup, it's poor technique. Smack the mag, then tug to make sure it's locked.

I'm not sure its just technique. I had the same problem (among many others!) and closely checked both gun and mags when I got home. With a fully loaded GI mag and also some P mags there was way too much effort required to seat the mag. This effort did not decrease until the mag was about half empty (or full for you optomists). There was also way too much tension between the top round and the bolt, enough to cause it to stop when chambering a round as it was released by pressing the bolt catch.

I then brought out some ancient, well worn 20 round GI mags that I used for practice. NO problems. The full mags seated easily and there was no excessive tension on the bolt. Rob C suggested that the mag catch might be the problem as the mags may be sitting too high. I think he's right, thanks Rob, and I am ordering a couple of mag catches to experiment with.

PS Thanks to the NB crew for a great match. The "munchkin" targets were an excellent way to demand some precision shooting on short ranges. Maybe we can work them into the BUAS indoor matches. Hope to see everyone at the steel match on Sat.

Yup, it's poor technique. Smack the mag, then tug to make sure it's locked.

I'm not sure its just technique. I had the same problem (among many others!) and closely checked both gun and mags when I got home. With a fully loaded GI mag and also some P mags there was way too much effort required to seat the mag. This effort did not decrease until the mag was about half empty (or full for you optomists). There was also way too much tension between the top round and the bolt, enough to cause it to stop when chambering a round as it was released by pressing the bolt catch.

I then brought out some ancient, well worn 20 round GI mags that I used for practice. NO problems. The full mags seated easily and there was no excessive tension on the bolt. Rob C suggested that the mag catch might be the problem as the mags may be sitting too high. I think he's right, thanks Rob, and I am ordering a couple of mag catches to experiment with.

PS Thanks to the NB crew for a great match. The "munchkin" targets were an excellent way to demand some precision shooting on short ranges. Maybe we can work them into the BUAS indoor matches. Hope to see everyone at the steel match on Sat.

Back
Top Bottom