USPSA - Vintage Rifle Match - New Bedford - 11/23

USPSA Vintage Rifle Match - November 23, 2008

Have a Garand, an SMLE, a Mosin Nagant or an M1 Carbine and what to have some fun? How about
a 'vintage' rifle match! A USPSA recognized rifle match featuring only small-arms rifles that
had been issued before the end of WWII and used by a major military force. Rifles must be 'as
issued' (meaning no after-issue optics, no after-issue compensators, no add-on weights, etc -
only equipment as issued will be allowed - for example, an M1-C Garand (sniper model) can have
its original scope, not a modern scope; a standard M1 cannot have a scope) and been in
service, or that model of rifle was in service, before the end of WWII. Post-war production
rifles allowed as long as it's a model that was designed and issued before the end of WWII.

This will be a 4 stage match on 5 pits, each stage having between 20 to 40 rounds. All stages
will have paper and clay targets only, so steel core/penetrator ammos is OK (tracers and
incendiary rounds not allowed). Distances will likely not be more than 40 yards, but could be
as much as 100 yards.

Divisions:
* Semi-Auto (or semi-auto versions of machine/full auto guns OK, but no full auto versions)
* Bolt (also includes lever action guns)
* Carbine (pistol caliber only, including the .30 Carbine; no full auto; semi-auto variants OK)

Magazine capacity for the different guns will be based on standard issue capacity. Examples:
- M1 Garand: 8 rounds/clip
- G43/K43/Gew43/Kar43: 10 round magazine
- StG44: 30 round magazine
- M1 Carbine: 30 round magazine
- PPD 40: 25 round magazine
- M1928: 30 round magazine (drum mags not allowed)
- Sten: 32 round magazine
For reference, check www.Wikipedia.org for standard issue feeding device info, or contact Match
Director for clarification BEFORE match day (so I can have some time to research your
particular question).

Major/Minor Power Factor:
For Semi and Bolt divisions, major power factor is 320. Minor power factor is 150.
Carbine power factor for major is 165 and minor is 125.

We will still be using standard USPSA hit factor scoring.

Examples of rifle models for the different divisions:
* Semi-Auto: M1 Garand, StG44,Gewehr 43, VG 15, SVT 40, M1941, AVS 36
* Bolt: 1903 (1903A2, A3), SMLE's, K98 Mauser, Lee Enfield, Type 99, Mosin Nagant,
MAS 36, Carcano, Krag Jorgensen, Winchester 1895
* Carbine: M1 Carbine, 1928 Thompson, Sten, MP18, KP31, MAS 38, MAB 38,
PPD 40, M3 (Grease Gun), M50

If you're not sure, or have something that's not common, or have questions on magazine
capacity, please contact the match director ahead of time to ensure you're rifle will be
allowed and classified as you expect. There will be no internet access on match day to
conduct research, so please do it ahead of time.

All USPSA rules for safety and scoring will be followed. The only deviations from the
standard rules are the above 3 divisions and what equipment (i.e., magazines, scopes, comps,
etc) makes up those divisions.

Pre-Approved list of division, examples and magazine capacity:

Semi Auto:
AVS 36 (15 rd mag, 7.62x54R)
SVT 38 & 40 (10 rd mag, 7.62x54R)
Gewehr 41 & 43 (10 rd, 7.92x57mm)
Kbsp wz 1938M (10 rd, 7.92x57mm)
M1 Garand (8 rd, 30-06)
StG44 (30rd, 7.92x33mm Kurz)
VG 1-5 (30 rd, 7.92x33mm Kurz)
M1941 (10 rd, 30-06)

Bolt:
1903, 1903A2 & 1903A3 (5rd, 30-06)
Krag Jorgensen (5rd, 30-40 Krag)
M1917 Enfield (6 rd, 30-06)
K98 Mauser (5 rd, 7.92x57mm)
Lee Enfield & SMLE's (10 rd, .303)
Type 99 (5 rd, 7.7x58 Arisaka)
Mosin Nagant (5rd, 7.62x54mmR)
MAS 36 (5 rd, 7.5x54mm)
Carcano (6rd, 6.5x52mm or 7.92x57mm)
Winchester 1895 (5 rd, 7.62x54R, .30-40 Krag or .303 British)

Carbines:
MP18 (20 or 32rd, 9mm)
MP40 (32 rd, 9mm)
Sten (32 rd, 9mm)
M1 Carbine (30 rd, 30 carbine)
Thompsons (30 rd, 45acp)
M3 Grease gun (30 rd, 45acp)
M50 Reising (20 rd, 45acp)
PPD 38 & 40 (25 rd, 7.62x25mm)
MAS 38 (32 rd, 7.65x17mm)
PPSh-41 (35 rd, 7.62x25mm)
KP31 (36 rd, 9mm)

Where: Rod and Gun Club of New Bedford (www.rodgun-nb.org)
When: Sunday, November 23, 2008

Signups start at 9am, first shots at 9:30am. Match fee is only $20. Bring 200
rounds of ammo. All rifles should arrive at the range unloaded and in a range
bag or case. Rifles can be un-cased at the safe tables only and they must be
carried unloaded with muzzle up or muzzle down with bolts open and/or empty
chamber flags in place (we will provide a flag for those who do not have one).

For more information, please contact Dave via email at [email protected].

Last edited:
Time to bring out my 1895 Winchester in 30-03.
DSC_1228.jpg

Sounds very cool! Can you give us an idea of the course of fire?

Also, what's the round count per stage? I only have 2 clips for my Garand - will I need more?

Also, what's the round count per stage? I only have 2 clips for my Garand - will I need more?

This will be a 4 stage match on 5 pits, each stage having between 20 to 40 rounds. All stages
will have paper and clay targets only, so steel core/penetrator ammos is OK (tracers and
incendiary rounds not allowed). Distances will likely not be more than 40 yards, but could be
as much as 100 yards.

It's in the original post.

I've got plenty of Garand clips. I'll give you a couple when we meet up for the M1 carbine mag and Timney trigger.

Tony, I picked up a case of the HXP ammo in clips; I've now got approximately a bazillion of them. If you want a set of clips (complete with bandolier) I can bring 'em to Mass Rifle sometime. (Same for anyone else in need, subject to availability.)

Hi folks,
Just found out that the Club's kitchen will be open for breakfast the morning of the match. Good food at good prices.

As for the match, minimum round count will be in the 110-115 range. I would suggest folks bring no less than 200 rounds. This is going to be fun!

I bought 100rds of .30 carbine ammo at four seasons last week for this match. 15 bucks a box!!!!! I think I have to start reloading another caliber.

I still don't have enough clips - if someone who is going has a few extra Garand clips they can let me borrow, I'd realyl appreciate it (I think I need 3 more).

I'm unemployed right now and currently looking for a job so money is tight so i cant go to this match. will there another one in the future?

Last edited:
TD, I'll bring a few along for you. I'm still deciding whether to use an M1 carbine, a Mosin M44, or a Finn M39.

Had a great time. Nice to see the old rifles getting run through the courses instead of the prototypical EBRs. I'll put my carbine up against an EBR any day.

Mostly Garands and Carbines (expected) but one guy in our group had a Mosin.

Hi folks,
This was a bunch of fun. Even though it was a tad cold, I'm sure it's nothing like the Ardennes Forest in Belgium in Dec '44 - Jan '45.

For those interested in what targets we used:
- Full size USPSA 'Metric' targets
- Reduced USPSA 'Metric' targets from C&M Targets in Albuquerque, NM
- Standard trap clay targets (108mm diam)
- MINI clay targets (60mm diam)

Results posted at:
http://www.uspsa-ne.org/results/20081123_newbedford.txt

I was really disappointed that I wasn’t allowed to shoot on Sunday. Shortey and I got lost looking for the range and got there at 9:50, 20 minutes after the match began. I was told it was too late to join in on the match and that we needed to leave. I understand that we missed the first course of fire and wouldn’t have had competitive scores, but it would have been nice to be allowed to join in and shoot the rest of the match.

Now I have 400 rounds of ammo I don’t know what to do with (no, you can’t have it).

I was really disappointed that I wasn’t allowed to shoot on Sunday. Shortey and I got lost looking for the range and got there at 9:50, 20 minutes after the match began. I was told it was too late to join in on the match and that we needed to leave. I understand that we missed the first course of fire and wouldn’t have had competitive scores, but it would have been nice to be allowed to join in and shoot the rest of the match.

Now I have 400 rounds of ammo I don’t know what to do with (no, you can’t have it).

I think the more important issue is probably that you missed the safety briefing. I know that you're a safe shooter, but the people running the match probably didn't know you from Adam. Imagine what would happen if they let you shoot and you were involved in some kind of accident. When it came out that they let you shoot after missing the safety briefing, they'd probably be in a world of hurt.

It still sucks, but I think they had a valid reason. I was late to a match once and was allowed to shoot, but everybody there knew me. I would've understood if they wouldn't have let me shoot, and would have expected it if it were a new club to me.

I was told it was too late to join in on the match and that we needed to leave.---

I can understand not letting you shoot but telling you that you had to leave, really?

Respectfully,

jkelly

Hi,
Not sure who you talked to but next time come ask the match director (me in this case). I don't know if the answer would be different but at least you'd get the complete answer from the source. I'd like to think we'd had tried to accommodate you. Certainly no reason to leave as long as you had the requite eye and ear protection. Sorry for your trouble.

Rob: I think you would have had a blast. I know I did (no pun intended)

Back
Top Bottom