• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA vs IDPA

Action work also makes a tremendous difference in these guns. It's legal in USPSA, but I dont' know about IDPA. Either way, I don't think any of the allowed changes to Production guns in USPSA puts anyone in danger of getting into an arms race. There really is a limit to how much money you can pour into a Production gun. After a few hundred bucks there's not much more you're going to get out of the gun. It really comes down to the shooter at that point.

The IDPA Stock Service Pistol equipment rules are 95% the same as USPSA production. The only differences I can think of is that in IDPA you can't use heavier aftermarket guide rods or stipple grips. In both games, anything beyond good sights, a decent trigger, and grip enhancement(like skateboard tape) are window dressing.

My take on the two.

USPSA = Slicky boy shit. [smile]
MaggiePistol.jpg

IDPA = No Airgunning [thinking]
IDPA_2004_6_21A.JPG

Last edited:
I'd agree that most production gun part upgrades probably only provide marginal performance improvements in the short term. However, if you're going to take a production gun and shoot 5k-10k rounds our more out of it per year, it can't hurt to upgrade things like plastic guide rods and plastic hammer strut boots. Most of these are cheap, easy, reliable and things I'd do, or have done, to a carry gun.

Action work also makes a tremendous difference in these guns. It's legal in USPSA, but I dont' know about IDPA. Either way, I don't think any of the allowed changes to Production guns in USPSA puts anyone in danger of getting into an arms race. There really is a limit to how much money you can pour into a Production gun. After a few hundred bucks there's not much more you're going to get out of the gun. It really comes down to the shooter at that point.

What about the $400 Bruce Gray trigger job?

Is that the winner's number of A zone hits divided by total shots?

No, that is the total points divided by total shots. The A hit percentage is lower since sub-A hits add to the point value.

The percentage of A hits was as follows:

Limited: 74.86%
Production: 87.43%
Limited 10: 77.56%
Open: 84.05%
Revolver: 78.11%

311 A x 5 = 1555
9 B x 4 = 36
48 C x 4 = 192

1783 pts. / 1850 available
96.3%

Looks like we're both wrong. You calculations missed the 2 M's on stage 3 :).

This is an interesting stat, so I'll add it to the web results display - just have to add the calculation code. Hope I get it right :)

rob

Looks like we're both wrong. You calculations missed the 2 M's on stage 3 :).

This is an interesting stat, so I'll add it to the web results display - just have to add the calculation code. Hope I get it right :)

rob

I was told by Bragg during a class that you don't count the penalties, just points shot. Made me feel a little better about my results when I did the total

I was told by Bragg during a class that you don't count the penalties, just points shot. Made me feel a little better about my results when I did the total

I added calculations to do it both ways to the results display page. Existing results on www.uspsa.org since October, 2010 now include this info:

Pistol Statistics
Power factor: Major
Total possible points: 1850
Total points shot: 1783
Total penalties: 20
Pct Points shot (ignoring penalties): 96.38
Pct points shot (counting penalties): 95.30

I added calculations to do it both ways to the results display page. Existing results on www.uspsa.org since October, 2010 now include this info:

Pistol Statistics
Power factor: Major
Total possible points: 1850
Total points shot: 1783
Total penalties: 20
Pct Points shot (ignoring penalties): 96.38
Pct points shot (counting penalties): 95.30

Thats awesome. thanks for doing that

Last edited:
I have only shot IDPA. I find that most of the complaints people have against IDPA tend to come from poor MDing. Good IDPA stage designs should allow choices for the shooters, challenge all levels, and allow testing of real world applicable skills. I enjoy the emphasis on accuracy and the attempt to simulate scenarios. Most of the things that people complain about are at clubs where you end up shooting the same stages every other month. All of that being said now that I am in a free state I will be able to get some new big boy mags (left the old ones back in MA!) and try out some other games!

Changes I would like:
-higher DMG round counts
-Allow flashlights but keep with the existing rule of, "you have to shoot the match with all of your equipment at all times". Keep the light on the gun the entire match and start the stage with it turned off.

Haha, that's funny.

Since IDPA doesn't allow guide rods of other material than the factory guide rod, which is plastic on my Glock, can you get 'regular non-captive' plastic guide rod so at least I can use a non-standard reduced recoil spring that seems to work fine with my loads that I use in USPSA?

Haha, that's funny.

Since IDPA doesn't allow guide rods of other material than the factory guide rod, which is plastic on my Glock, can you get 'regular non-captive' plastic guide rod so at least I can use a non-standard reduced recoil spring that seems to work fine with my loads that I use in USPSA?

The other option is to shoot in ESP.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Let me know if there are any other metrics that can be calculated from results that you or the Mannys of this world consider useful.

Rob, while you're at it, could you make an easy way to look at these for shooters without a USPSA number? You can do it by clicking on someone with a number and changing the competitor ID in the URL manually, but that's a pain. Maybe display N/A for competitors without a #?

Shoot both, decide which you like better.

As long as you don't run matches the same day as established local matches, you're bound to get shooters. If you run them well, you'll continue to get shooters. Look to see if there are more USPSA or IDPA matches in your vicinity, and fill the gaps. You could always do a GSSP or Steel Challenge, if the rest of the schedule was too full. If you can find a spare weekend where there is no shooting, pick the more popular.

I think it really comes down to what the shooters at your club want to do. If they all want to shoot USPSA, then you are guaranteed to have a USPSA gang there, even on busy weekends. Same applies for IDPA. If you don't know anyone that wants to shoot either at your club, then there may not be a "market" for it, and not worth investing the time/money into.

Just a thought, why limit it to one? Do USPSA one month, IDPA the next, Steel Challenge the next, etc. I know of a club in the Western US that does this.

Just a thought, why limit it to one? Do USPSA one month, IDPA the next, Steel Challenge the next, etc. I know of a club in the Western US that does this.

I bet they didn't go from nothing to that all at once.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I like the scenario shooting of IDPA, firing from cover, forcing you to reload from cover, conceal aspect.

There are clubs in MA that do both every month (New Bedford and Harvard, and possibly others), and they throw in a Steel Challenge once in a while on top of that.

Back
Top Bottom