UTAH and assault weapons ban?

Fun for all... [frown]
http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/in...&SectionID=32&SectionTree=32&lnk=b&ItemID=675

unconstitutional congresswoman said:
Statement from Rep. Carolyn McCarthy on the Shootings in PA and UT
Tuesday February 13, 2007

Yesterday we learned of more unnecessary deaths from gun violence in Philadelphia, PA and Salt Lake City, UT. I am saddened to hear of these events and have introduced legislation that if enacted will prevent further violence.

In Philadelphia, a gunman opened fire on his colleagues using an AK-47 assault rifle he legally purchased. These dangerous weapons, which are intended to hit multiple targets in a short period of time, were allowed back on our streets when the federal ban on assault weapons expired in 2004. The deaths in Philadelphia could have been prevented if Congress had done its job of protecting the homeland and renewed the assault weapons ban.

I have again introduced legislation to permanently ban assault weapons. These weapons have no practical use. They are not used by hunters for sport or by individuals for self-defense. They are intended to kill as many individuals as possible in a short amount of time and have no place on our streets. The unfortunate situation in Philadelphia could have been avoided if Congress stood up to the gun lobby in 2004.

In Salt Lake City, a young man opened fire in a crowded mall, killing more than 10 individuals. It appears the shooter was not mentally stable and police are still investigating how he obtained the weapons.

It is vital that the background check records are current and comprehensive. I have introduced HR 297, the NICS Improvement Act that would strengthen the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. These records let gun dealers know when an individual should not be allowed to purchase a firearm. Improving the quality of these records will keep guns out of the wrong hands and make our country safer.

I am deeply saddened by yesterday’s events. I remain committed to passing common sense legislation to prevent further acts of gun violence.

More of the same

http://www.expertclick.com/NewsReleaseWire/default.cfm?Action=ReleaseDetail&ID=15522

Big battles on American civil right to bear arms looming on Capitol Hill, observes United States gun law expert

Washington, DC 20036 February 13 2007

Gun rights expert John M. Snyder released the following column today:

With political forces in the Nation’s Capital almost evenly split, the ongoing legislative battle over the individual Second Amendment civil right of law-abiding American citizens to keep and bear arms shows signs of heating up soon in Congress.

Since there are more outspoken advocates of restrictive gun control in positions of legislative authority in the 110th Congress than there were in the 109th Congress, gun rights advocates expect a more concerted effort to push restrictive proposals.

The gun control lobby seems to have coalesced around a proposal put forth by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of New York. Surprisingly and disturbingly for gun rights advocates, Rep. John Dingell of Michigan, a former NRA Director, has joined with McCarthy as an original cosponsor of her bill, H.R. 297.

Although publicly promoted by its advocates as a fairly innocuous attempt to update and clean up the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), H.R. 297, the proposed NICS Improvement Act of 2007, actually contains elements that have led reliable gun rights advocates to oppose it.

One of the major criticisms of H.R. 297 is that, if it became law, the records of individuals who were never convicted of an offense preventing them from obtaining a firearm but had been arrested for such an offense would be included in NICS. This would make them legally unable to purchase a firearm, even if they were never convicted of the crime for which they were arrested.

In other words, H.R. 297 would make the so-called attempt to improve NICS a legal instrument of injustice. McCarthy, Dingell and their supporters may try to persuade some alleged gun rights advocates that if they accept H.R. 297, they will have nothing further to worry about regarding gun control legislation during the 110th Congress. It would be interesting to see what fools get suckered in by this line of argument. True blue Second Amendment supporters will not. They will stand on principle and hold their ground.

If McCarthy, Dingell and the gun grabbers ever got their feet in the door with this obvious legislative injustice, there’s no telling what restrictive gun control advocates might try to include in a legislative package. One of the most likely proposals would be a reinstitution of the Clinton era so-called ban on so-called “assault weapons.” These misnamed “assault weapons” actually were semiautomatic firearms used by an untold number of law-abiding Americans. The ban was allowed to sunset, or expire, during the previous Congress.

There is some speculation that the new anti-gun Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rep. Nancy Pelosi of California, may, with Dingell’s blessing, try to circumvent the ordinary congressional committee process and bring H.R. 297 directly to the floor. If that happens, pro-gun forces in the House would really have a battle royal on their hands, but they would know they have the support of an untold number of their fellow citizens from around the country.

John M. Snyder ([email protected])
Manager
Telum Associates, LLC
PO Box 2844
Arlington, VA 22202
Phone : 202-326-5259

NICS improvement is what this bill is about. This isn't an end to the world as you would think. Wait and see what happens with this one.

HR 1022 is the one to look at but from what I have seen is this is the same garbage she keeps coming to the table with every year since 2004 - where has it gone? You will see how serious it is when you see the co-sponser list on 1022. If it wasn't for the tragic incident of her husband and son, she wouldn't even be there... they just put up with her because of that.

Joe R.

NICS improvement is what this bill is about. This isn't an end to the world as you would think. Wait and see what happens with this one.

Yeah, but we're getting NOTHING out of the deal, so I don't see why anyone
would want to support it. I don't see anything in this bill that would benefit
us in any way- eg, changing identification metrics to prevent false
detections and the like.. there are a whole crapload of people who are
abused by this system via delays and denials.

I'm not so sure about wether the harping about "including arrests" would
make one a PP by default in the system.... is true or not. Regardless of
that, I don't see anything "positive" in the bill for gun owners, period.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom