• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Utah CCL Renewal...we really suck !!!

EddieZoom

NES Member
Utah non-resident CCL is expiring in April...forgot all about it. The nice people in Utah sent me a letter reminding me 3 *months* before expiration. Ten minutes online, one headshot selfie, and $25 later and my renewal application is complete.

Compare/Contrast this with process here in MA.....f@ck you we're not sending you a reminder, local PD (nice guys, no complaints) doesn't want you to start the renewal *too* early but then turnaround times from the state are completely unpredictable leaving you to wonder what happens if it doesn't get renewed before your B-Day.

Even the Utah gov website....it's *excellent*.

We really suck....

I'm pretty sure my local PD sends a reminder. They do want you to come in for a fresh 'interview' to make sure you are not Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, but short of that it's pretty much a rubber stamp deal, just a little inconvenient. I know a lot of the cops in this town, so it pretty much ends up being social hour for me (actually about 10 minutes). As far as Mass goes, we are pretty damn green. I much prefer that we just follow the Constitution, but it's about as good as it gets in this commie state.

In MA you get a receipt when you apply. Depending on the agency either they send it to you or if your town allows on line renewal you can print it out on line. That receipt acts as your LTC even after your expiration date. That comes from the Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) under which the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) falls.

When you get your LTC, you will also get a letter from CJIS with a new PIN number.

It's a less than ideal system, but it more or less complies with the law. CJIS has also sent out notices advising people of delays and telling them to renew early.

The only hitch is that FFLs are not required to accept the letter for sales of firearms and ammunition. Mountain is correct, it's about as good as we can expect in the PRM.
Utah non-resident CCL is expiring in April...forgot all about it. The nice people in Utah sent me a letter reminding me 3 *months* before expiration. Ten minutes online, one headshot selfie, and $25 later and my renewal application is complete.

Compare/Contrast this with process here in MA.....f@ck you we're not sending you a reminder, local PD (nice guys, no complaints) doesn't want you to start the renewal *too* early but then turnaround times from the state are completely unpredictable leaving you to wonder what happens if it doesn't get renewed before your B-Day.

We really suck....

In AZ, they send you a notice of expiration.
You then go to the website, fill out a form that includes your LTC number and they send you a new one that arrives before the expiration date.

The Massachusetts process is a feature not a bug…

My daughter - first time at the Registry for anything - went to the local one in Missouri after she moved there. She needed to change her Reg and DL to Missouri.

"Wow. That was so great. They were so helpful. Why do you say that always sucks?" [rofl]

3 years ago, she moved home. And had to change the DL and Reg back to MA. LOL. Yeah. They weren't too friendly.

It's just something about mASS. I'd fire every citizen-facing employee in the state and make them have to reapply for their jobs. Every last one of them. I don't care how many years you have. Not concerned with who you know. GTFO if you're gonna have that attitude.

I know it would never work and it's ALSO why I'd never make Governor in the first place. But it would be absolutely ugly. I'd spend the first 5 days of my administration going department to department telling people to shape up or I'll ship them out. I'll fight the lawsuits in court later but in the meantime, they are either changing or out of a F'ing job.

I just received the renewal reminder for my Utah NR permit. Appears someone got to them as renewal now requires you to view a video about firearm safety and suicide prevention. Well, it's a small price to pay for their efficiency in renewals.

Question is: is the Utah NR worth renewing now that 27 states have some form of Constitutional carry, including the three to the north of Mass. Of course RI and CT don't nor do most other states in the northeast.

Any thoughts on this?

We really suck....
Well, No Shit.

View: https://youtu.be/24GoZHci7b4

I just received the renewal reminder for my Utah NR permit. Appears someone got to them as renewal now requires you to view a video about firearm safety and suicide prevention. Well, it's a small price to pay for their efficiency in renewals.

Question is: is the Utah NR worth renewing now that 27 states have some form of Constitutional carry, including the three to the north of Mass. Of course RI and CT don't nor do most other states in the northeast.

Any thoughts on this?
I used to have Utah NR but I switched to PA NR. It’s $20 for 5 years. Can’t carry in PA with Utah NR

We really suck....
I got a reminder 3 or 4 months early in the mail.

Got my new permission card like 2 months early, sat on my kitchen counter the whole time, invalid lol

Lastly, stop complaining and move to Utah.

I believe its permission to carry in Acadia National Park. But i could be wrong. and dont have to let Leo know your carrying in a traffic stop....
Yes, very good. Conceal carry in ANP and no duty to inform officer.

Last edited:
The only hitch is that FFLs are not required to accept the letter for sales of firearms and ammunition. Mountain is correct, it's about as good as we can expect in the PRM.
Not the ONLY hitch.

There are states that recognize any out of state permit. Success at these states recognizing an expired MA LTC + renewal receipt == valid permit at the first interaction with the sysem (i.e,. before legal fees start to accrue) may vary.

Not really.... The paper they give you when renewing (as long as you renew before expiration date) is that your license is indefinitely active until your new one arrives. The paper allows for purchase of and carrying of firearms and ammunition.
If an FFL decides not to "accept" that, I would move on to another FFL. It is, in fact, the law.
My PIN is no longer active, which means they have renewed my license, but I do not have it in hand yet, and I made a purchase yesterday.

Not really.... The paper they give you when renewing (as long as you renew before expiration date) is that your license is indefinitely active until your new one arrives. The paper allows for purchase of and carrying of firearms and ammunition.
If an FFL decides not to "accept" that, I would move on to another FFL. It is, in fact, the law.
My PIN is no longer active, which means they have renewed my license, but I do not have it in hand yet, and I made a purchase yesterday.
You need the pin for the FA-10.

I’m assuming whatever you bought only required a 4473 and you did NOT have to do a FA-10, correct

Any thoughts on this?
I would. I have four non-resident permits in addition to my resident permit and there’s a fair bit of overlap. I keep them all because reciprocity agreements are subject to change.

Back
Top Bottom