VA checks and the Gov shutdown

cams

NES Member
Check didn’t arrive yet, usually comes on the 31st if the 1st falls on a holiday. Does the shutdown affect the checks or did you guys get square this month?

Check didn’t arrive yet, usually comes on the 31st if the 1st falls on a holiday. Does the shutdown affect the checks or did you guys get square this month?
Why are u not on ebenefits???? I didn’t think they sent checks anymore. Please get on ebenefits and do direct deposit my fellow Veteran! Your money will hit a day early every month. Good Luck!

My military retirement arrives on the first of the month, or the last work day of the previous month if the first is on a weekend or a holiday. in nine years it has never failed to be there.

Why are u not on ebenefits???? I didn’t think they sent checks anymore. Please get on ebenefits and do direct deposit my fellow Veteran! Your money will hit a day early every month. Good Luck!

I’ve been holding off as long as I could from that. Years back the .gov seized my bank acct and cleaned it out, at the time I had like 2K in it but it was all I had to my name, custody battle and DOR involved, they took every penny I had and left me to fight for months to get it all back, I didn’t owe anything but they don’t care when they take. The paper check to my PO Box was all I had to eat with until I was made whole again. I’m in a better place now, but that’s still a sore spot for me.

I’ve been holding off as long as I could from that. Years back the .gov seized my bank acct and cleaned it out, at the time I had like 2K in it but it was all I had to my name, custody battle and DOR involved, they took every penny I had and left me to fight for months to get it all back, I didn’t owe anything but they don’t care when they take. The paper check to my PO Box was all I had to eat with until I was made whole again. I’m in a better place now, but that’s still a sore spot for me.
I guess the reason he is surprised might be the same as why I am. I got letters back in like 2014-2015 stating I was required to switch and that they were stopping the checks. That being said I specifically put any money from that not in an account that was with my other money. But shame that happened to you, definitely can see why that is still a sore spot.

Have it electronically deposited in "a" checking account with a short balance in it. Write a check on that account to a different bank and account. Keep the deposit to the minimum in account #1.

I feel for your pain with that "theft". My mom passed, she was getting VA retirement checks. They sent her one after they were informed of the death. I left it in the bank as direct deposit. I bitched, they sent a second check the next month. I bitched some more and was told, don't worry, you will get a bill, just pay that when you get it.

Third check third month, no bill. I bitched some more. run around as the checks come from one place and the notification of death goes to another. Anyway, 4th month I get a bill and no check. I wrote a check and paid it. Next month the bank withdrew the amount on the bill from the account!!! I bitched to the bank and they said the Fed with held the money. I explained that the check, which had cleared was drawn on their bank. He went and got a copy of the cancelled check. The bank then said, I would have to deal with the VA. I left pissed!

After trying to deal with the various agencies and totally failing, I called the VA head direct. I got to a deputy director and told him the tale of woe. He took my number and said he would look into it and call back. I said thanks, hung up the phone and said a little prayer. He called back in 15 minutes and explained that this is all on my bank and has nothing to do on their end, the bank has to straighten it out.

Back to the bank and when the same guy that I dealt with before was told that the Director's office of the VA said that the bank is responsible. He said he would look into it.

I had my money back in 24 hours.

My SS check goes direct deposit and I deal with it as above.

Sometimes I think about filing a claim with the VA, then I hear about their awesome service.
I have no problem with the VA, because I refuse to deal with them. What troubles I have I can handle without their “help”.

Back
Top Bottom