Veterans with PTSD and Fireworks.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
I stumbled on this Veteran related site this morning......and the subject was Fireworks.

After reading the first 100 or so comments, my head was ready to explode!

I didn't want to offend anybody......so I kept my thoughts to myself.

A Desert Storm Vet, saying how the fireworks are giving him flashbacks, and he wants to beat the shit out of his neighbors?[rolleyes]

Give me a freaking break!

Let the flaming begin.......but better yet, can someone enlighten me?

Because, in some cases, I think people use PTSD as an excuse for just plain bad behavior!

Last edited:
A Vietnam era Force Recon friend of mine can not attend firework festivities without breaking into a profuse sweat. It manifests differently in everyone, but wanting to punch your neighbors is outside my realm of understanding.

Dave

My son (Iraq vet) was fine when he was the one firing them (he was on a crew) but could not be around them otherwise. My dad (korea Marine) we didn't go to fireworks when I was young by time I was 10 or so we went and he still flinched at times. and dad didn't believe PTSD existed. Both were shelled as part of their deployments. so yes more than possible.

Because, in some cases, I think people use PTSD as an excuse for just plain bad behavior!

I agree, lot of people running around with anger management issues calling it PTSD. Suspect they had "PTSD" long before their service.

I can do without fireworks, but generally because I can't stand being in a crowd of more than 2 people.
Flashbacks happen fireworks or not. Sometimes I'll watch one that burns out slowly and it will remind me of parachute flares drifting down, I'll remember the hissing, how everything was black and white, or it seemed that way, how totally black it was when they went out. Sometimes the finale will remind me of a battery of 105's tearing up the trees. Many times I will hear fireworks in the distance and will think of 105's or mortar's.

and I really don't like the helicopters tearing back and forth across the harbor... and I won't get into how calm cool and collected I am all day every day.
but anger because of fireworks???? I don't think so.

I agree, lot of people running around with anger management issues calling it PTSD. Suspect they had "PTSD" long before their service.

I can do without fireworks, but generally because I can't stand being in a crowd of more than 2 people.
Flashbacks happen fireworks or not. Sometimes I'll watch one that burns out slowly and it will remind me of parachute flares drifting down, I'll remember the hissing, how everything was black and white, or it seemed that way, how totally black it was when they went out. Sometimes the finale will remind me of a battery of 105's tearing up the trees. Many times I will hear fireworks in the distance and will think of 105's or mortar's.

and I really don't like the helicopters tearing back and forth across the harbor... and I won't get into how calm cool and collected I am all day every day.
but anger because of fireworks???? I don't think so.

I think this is educational for the rest of us. Appreciate all of the comments and to Sky for starting this thread.

A Vietnam era Force Recon friend of mine can not attend firework festivities without breaking into a profuse sweat. It manifests differently in everyone, but wanting to punch your neighbors is outside my realm of understanding.

Dave

Maybe his neighbors are *******s and need a beating

I have a buddy who's humvee got blown up in Iraq a few years ago. He lost two of his Marines and got hurt pretty bad himself (he recovered physically.) He still gets a little weird around stuff that goes boom. Not angry / violent but definitely on edge.

PTSD? Thankfully I wouldn't know personally. In "Into the Fire" Dakota Meyer talks about a lot of guys in his PTSD group therapy sessions being full of shit, but he and others definitely did have some issues when they came back. I suspect like everything else in the suck you have shitbirds that scam the system and regular guys who don't. (And probably a bunch more who don't get help but who should.)

Last edited:
Usually the ones who make a big deal about it are attention whores or drama queens. In my experience the guys who need help dont get it and the guys who dont need help all of a sudden have a huge rating. This isnt always the case.

An awful lot of drunks and *******s go to war and come back and try to use it as an excuse for being a drunk or *******. Frankly im sick of it.

One of the side effects of ptsd being more socially acceptable is that its almost the "cool" thing to have so to speak. Ive heard multiple accounts of va reps insisting those who dont have ptsd do. One of my good friends was shot on our deployment, has ALWAYS been a little bit crazy, and was forced into treatment. He does not have ptsd. I have other friends who really could use the help and arent getting it, and I know a lot of *******s who drink and claim ptsd... but they were drunk *******s before they deployed.

Everyone experiences things there own way, Im sure for some fireworks are a trigger. Ive personally been in a patrol that was hit by an IED and I have no issues with fireworks. If theres an unexpected explosion it may catch me off guard, but I attribute that more to training. Its also worth mentioning that the ied strike didnt result in any severe injury or loss of life for my friends, so I have no reason to flip out over thinking about it.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I have ptsd, my uncle has it.
Relaxing, driving down the road, in a flash for a moment, I am THERE!
My uncle Jack would be flipping burgers, and flash on WWII Italy.

I don't think PTSD can be cured.
Often a curse or shout accompanies it.
At night, I thrash violently.
My wife quit asking "whats wrong with you?" after I told her what they were about
She wakes me up by standing aside (out of range), touching my foot.

Uncle Jack is gentle and friendly
Still can't abide Germans
Army, mortars, Anzio and points north.
About 90 and in a rest home, won't be long till his fight is over.

I don't drink because it doesn't make it less, just makes me fall over.
Try to keep my mind busy, read, shooting, focusing types of stuff.
Rick

sent from my dell optiplex refurbed pc late at nite because i dont sleep well.

My parents were children in German occupied Sicily during WWII. They endured the carpet bombing of the island by the allies to force the Nazis out. Although they do not hold anything against the allies, knowing it was the only way to drive them out, they were traumatized by the relentless bombings. When I was a kid we never went to see fireworks as it was too difficult for them to hear the blasts, especially the finale. It is a reality that will decrease over time. They now attend fireworks with me every Independence day.

I am not a Veteran nor are any of my family members but I have seen PTSD and explosions first hand.

Disclaimer: this is going to be a long story but it will exemplify PTSD in the only way that I have ever seen. Also there are many things in this story that are just bad. Bad Practice, Bad judgement just all around bad. I know that and believe me everyone that was involved knows that but when the holes line up in the Swiss cheese of life accidents happen.

Back in February of 2003 a day after the Station Nightclub fire I was working construction at a site in MA (I'm going to leave the exact details nameless). It was a monday,the day after a large snowstorm had hit the metro west area. A buddy of mine and myself were working for a Construction company that used large (100 lb) propane tanks to run portable heaters to heat the site. They were set up outside the staging that was covered with a thick plastic sheeting. The hose ran inside the "tent" and to the heater. Before we had gone home for the weekend we had secured the tanks (there were 9 heating locations with 3 100 lb tanks chained together and secured to the staging. When we showed up on monday it was found that one of the sets of chains had slipped down the bottles it was attached to and one of the bottles had fell over and was buried in the snow. Monday morning was spent digging out and getting all of the bottles set up for the day's work. The friend of mine (who had only been working with us for two weeks) was in charge of setting the bottles up. He dug out the propane tank that had fallen and found that the valve assembly had become frozen. He decided it would be a good idea to take that tank to the wood working shed that was heated to thaw the valve out.

Couple of notes about this shed. It was built onsite for the finish carpenters to be able to work outside the house without having to deal with the weather. Inside there was all sorts of carpentry tools, nails and other supplies. It was heated with the same propane type heaters used on the rest of the job with one difference, the propane tanks were inside of the shed with the heater.

Back to the main story: My friend brings the frozen tank inside the shed and closes the door. At this point there really was no return from what was about to happen. I was working about 20 feet from the shed with my back to where the door was. 15 min have now elapsed and in that time the valve of the tank inside the shed was able to thaw. It turns out that when my friend had initially found the bottle he opened the valve. When it was found that the nozzle was frozen he neglected to close it. So for 15 min the shed had filled with propane but was unable to ignite because there just was not enough O2. When the door was opened by my friend it was catastrophic.

The initial explosion blew my friend toward me and caught him on fire, It blew the roof of the building about 40 feet in the air and the fireball was seen by someone in the prudential center (that's what the fire dept told us after the fact) I was thrown back into the building and suffered a separated shoulder. I was able to get up and put the fire out on my friend's face with the snow that was melting from the heat. At this point it was raining nails and saw blades and wood. I grabbed my friend and drug him out and around the corner to try to get away. This is where I seen Billy ( fake name ).

Billy was in Vietnam, he was stationed at a fire base (no I don;t know where, he never ever spoke about it but the owner gave us a little info about him). I guess the fire base had been attacked relentlessly and he was the only survivor from his unit.

Billy comes tearing out of the tent ( I mean directly through the side of the tent, no door, no knife to tear a hole I mean just comes right through the side) he barrels into me and falls down. In that instant that I look into his eyes I realize he is not there. He is back in Vietnam. He tells me that we have to go, we were not going to survive this and I needed to stick with him. He then gets up and just bolts, he runs into the woods tearing through the trees ripping his clothes and does not look back. I have never seen anyone look "Feral" before but he was by far "Feral" and more at that point. We did not hear from Billy for 2 weeks after that and his car stayed at the job site for those two weeks. I still to this day do not know where he went.

The story goes on with multiple propane tanks exploding and nails and tanks raining out of the sky for 10 min. Shrapnel through cars, the house on fire and so forth. It was like what I imagine war could be like.

My one experience with PTSD has shown me just how much it could effect someone. To touch on what the OP said, If my neighbor came up to me and asked me to stop lighting fireworks because of PTSD I would do so.

NOTE: All names have been changed, Yes I have pictures but I am not going to post them due to the fact that there is still litigation pending on the issue.

I know this was long but I felt I needed to talk about it. If I offended anyone I'm sorry, Also yes there was so many things done wrong here, I don't need you to point it out.

ALSO TLDR before anyone else can post it :)

Thanks, everyone here, for sharing these stories, thoughts, and sentiments.

I returned home from Iraq in OCT 2011, so I'm about a year and a half out from war at this point. I'm still discovering what occurrences affect me and how. Last 04 JUL was my first day home after getting out of the Army and following a two-day drive from CO to MA. The combination of exhaustion, drinking, and war-time experiences did not bode well for me when the fireworks started. Flash forward a year to a few days ago, and I had a similar reaction, albeit muted in comparison to the previous year.

The decrease in anxiety when hearing the big boomers (indirect fire) and the poppers (small arms fire) leaves me hopeful that one day I'll be "normal" enough to actually appreciate things like fireworks instead of just dealing with them.

It's good to know I'm not alone in this; Sky, you always start helpful threads. Thanks, brother.

Sky.....I agree that there are plenty of vets out there that are scamming the VA system claiming PTSD in order to get a disability claim. I have heard from some Army buddies that basically to get a claim for ptsd all a vet needs to do is make an apointment, whip up some tears, tell the VA head doc you have bad dreams and you can qualify for a ptsd disability claim. Problem is......how can a va doc disprove nightmares? If they don't approve the claims of ptsd their own heads will be on a pike by the court of public opinion for not caring for our ptsd ridden veterens. Yup.....lots of scammers out there that probalby spent an entire deployment to Iraq/trashcanistan on a FOB updating powerpoint slides for the old man that are claiming ptsd. But on the other hand there are plenty of guys and gals coming back with real problems related to PTSD from experiences in combat.......

As far as guys using it as an excuse for bad behavior.....absolutely! I'll probalby get flamed for this one but they guys that drink alot and claim ptsd is their reason for their alcoholism are full of crap. My opinion is that alcohol problems stem from low character to begin with. And I am saying that as a man that has a father, two uncles, a brother, and two grandparents that are alcoholics. I believe that alcoholics get into their jam because they originally made bad moral decisions to begin with......its called lack of self control.

FLAME AWAY!!!!

I'm not sure if this counts as PTSD as I never thought of it until I read this thread. My father beat the shit out of us. I mean I was beat with a broom stick and it broke, thrown into a wall face first, have climbing spikes come inches from my head and this was before I reached the age of ten. He use to make me run while he tried to shoot me with a bb gun. Luckily I ran like a mofo and was skinny I never got hit :). I couldn't say that for the neighborhood cats as he use to shoot them with a 22. I've seen my mother beat so bad we had to call the ambulance and my sister picked up by her head and thrown across a room she was three.

I hate crowds as well and I rather stay home and be a recluse. I'm very laid back and it takes an act of congress to get me mad that I see red.

I don't mind talking about it and maybe that's why I'm pretty even keeled. I do drink, but a six pack last me two months and didn't really do drugs either.

As for my father since he was a IV drug user he caught something that only had one cure and that was death.

Last edited:
I know people that served in T.W.A.T and they're affected by fireworks and loud noises. I don't think they were officially diagnosed as having been or being afflicted by PTSD though.

What's very interesting is that some of the PTSD symptoms which afflict me are related to experiencing incoming indirect fire, and some are related to the intelligence functions I performed for "the old man" while updating power point slides. Having to constantly review battlefield assessment information, scour photos of suicide attack scenes, going over the ultra high-resolution pictures of corpses (including those of children) mangled nearly beyond recognition....yeah...you bet your ass this "fobbit" "P.O.G." has some horrific dreams as a result.

After one suicide attack in Tikrit outside our base where 75 Iraqi men died, and 20 more lost their legs, I barely slept for two or three weeks.

Understand that PTSD is caused by different events and affects every person differently. I know a UAV operator who has PTSD from killing "so many people" with hellfire rockets. Tell me he doesn't have a valid claim. Tell me he doesn't relive those moments. Go ahead.

What's very interesting is that some of the PTSD symptoms which afflict me are related to experiencing incoming indirect fire, and some are related to the intelligence functions I performed for "the old man" while updating power point slides. Having to constantly review battlefield assessment information, scour photos of suicide attack scenes, going over the ultra high-resolution pictures of corpses (including those of children) mangled nearly beyond recognition....yeah...you bet your ass this "fobbit" "P.O.G." has some horrific dreams as a result.

After one suicide attack in Tikrit outside our base where 75 Iraqi men died, and 20 more lost their legs, I barely slept for two or three weeks.

Understand that PTSD is caused by different events and affects every person differently. I know a UAV operator who has PTSD from killing "so many people" with hellfire rockets. Tell me he doesn't have a valid claim. Tell me he doesn't relive those moments. Go ahead.

Buddy....and I mean that for real....buddy......you act like I'm talking about you! Relax. My comment about the power point guy on the fob is about someone I personally know that claims mild traumatic brain injury and ptsd because he is 6 foot 5 and hit his head on the low doorways in the plywood shaks! I'm not joking! And his powerpoints were BN maintenance slides not intel ones like you are talking about. Yes.....there are POS guys out there scamming......I certainly did not say you are one of them! Chillax

Forgive my snapping at you, brother (and I mean that, brother). I'm so used to everybody writing off support roles, especially intel dweebs (like me and mine!) as over-dramatic or not worthy of PTSD feelings.

Brother......no problem. I'm actually a support guy myself.....spent my first tour in Iraq in a transportation company on the road....and the second in an Forward Support Company. As much as it is hard for me to accept there is a large number of vets out there scamming the system......and it plugs up and delays help for soldiers that truly need the assistance. I've seen my share of it but deal quite well with it....guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I feel for the ones that are not so lucky. Hey.....hope all is well with you man! Keep up the good fight!

Last edited:
my 87 yo father in law was in about every major Naval battle in the Pacific during WW2. He had several really close calls with the Jap Zeros bombing his ships and even kamikaze attacks. He doesn't like fireworks and gets very irritated, angry and argumentative when he hears them.

It's a little annoying when all the family wants to watch them and he doesn't want to be with the rest of us, but he earned the right to not attend any fireworks event, if he chooses.

Back
Top Bottom