Vickers Versus: Single Point Versus: Traditional

I put this out there on an M4 dedicated forum and thought I'd post it for the gurus here as well. I'm guilty of thinking too much and rambling often, but thought there were some things to put out there to those wiser than me:

The wait for my AR-15 M4 build had afforded me much opportunity to think, read, view and rethink. Everything from rails, to no rails, to sights, to stocks, to grips to slings and beyond has been pondered. This morning I woke up thinking about my AR-15, (I must be twisted) and returned again to the "sling thing".

I understand the concepts of side mounting a sling - my SOCOM-16/Troy MCS is set up for a Vickers. Initially, I tried to single-point it, but quickly discovered the disadvantages of a heavy rifle beebopping into my knee while transitioning to my pistol on the move...(ouch). I was considering revisiting the single-point with my lighter carbine build until some sage advice from our own F2S had me putting the one-hitch to rest.

This morning, I wondered why traditional sling mounts are offered on nearly every configuration of AR-15 at all? It seems to me most of you are popping them off, adding plates and going on your merry way with side mounted slings. Somewhere, there must be a home for wayward traditional sling mounts, sad and alone, piled up in the corner of a scrap yard - waiting to be melted down into toaster parts. I am ordering a Sully for my build and notice a old fashioned sling mount as plain as day. The FSB for my build also has the mount, so my question is: why? If side sling is the "end all", why would Defensive Edge not make a stock in this configuration? Why does every FSB come with one? Am I missing something?

If I traditionally mount my sling, besides being scoffed at by the tactical and tacticool, are there any advantages?

Thanks for entertaining my ramble....

I really like my Viking Tactical sling. Works well, and is strong, and is easily adjustable.

My good friend has a single point sling and finds it uncomfortable to have his rifle dangling from his neck.

If I traditionally mount my sling, besides being scoffed at by the tactical and tacticool, are there any advantages?

With the AR platform I have tried the traditional, single, and 2 point mount slings. The 2 point (I love the Vickers) is superior in my opinion. A 30 rd magazine, pistol grip, and often a VFG make the traditional mounts much less usable.

It's part curiosity and part planning what I'm going to do with my rifle. I'm no stranger to side sling - as I used to get gawks at the range back in 84 from AR shooters with my weird to them HK93 side sling - I loved it. I'm just wondering why CAR stocks, A2 stocks, FSB are still equipped with traditional get ups. I also want to keep the lines of my coming build clean and have been resisting a railed handguard, or a FSB side sling mount. I'm wondering how much of a disadvantage I'll be in with a traditional set up when it comes time for a carbine class with my AR. My SOCOM is set up with a Vickers and I love it, by the way....Just thinking out loud....

Funny you post this, Mark... I was pondering nearly the same thing this
morning- and for that reason, my AR is currently sling-less.

I'd like to find a solution that works good for carrying the rifle more than one
way... I'm going to eventually replace the rear end of the thing with a
new buffer tube and a Magpul CTR (my gun is preban... ) so if I'm going to
put one of those ring things on it, that'd be the time to do it.

-Mike

I'm torn between my desire to keep this a clean simple fighting rifle and going to rail-city. I was thinking about keeping the M4 handguards and adding a short 3" rail at rear 9pm and adding a receiver QD for a Vickers and another short rail front at 6pm for the light. I may just wind up slinging it up traditionally at first and see how I like it.

I have a single point on my AR and love it. If you wear it the right way, you will not have your gun "hanging from your neck". The sling I got was called the "Franken-Sling" it used a 1" webbing that went to a quick release tab on the sling mount in front of the buffer tube, and then goes to a 2.5" (I believe) larger web that goes over your shoulder and around your neck. You can keep the sling on you, and by pressing the release buttons take the rifle off the sling all together in all of 1 second, and leave the sling on you. I like the single point because it is easier to have the rifle hang in front, beside, or behind you than it is with other slings.

I forget who makes it, and I didn't have much luck looking it up on the web, but if you want, I can get the name off it, and even post some pics for you.

I'm torn between my desire to keep this a clean simple fighting rifle and going to rail-city. I was thinking about keeping the M4 handguards and adding a short 3" rail at rear 9pm and adding a receiver QD for a Vickers and another short rail front at 6pm for the light. I may just wind up slinging it up traditionally at first and see how I like it.

I fought with the same thing with my last build. I was ready to order an upper with M4 handguards, but found what I wanted (Noveske) with a DD Omega installed at a great price. You can have clean and simple and still run a rail. The DD Omega rail has a side sling mount recessed into the rail, eliminating the need for another thing hanging off of the rifle. The only thing I have on the rail is a flashlight. Overall it is a fairly light "clean" rifle. I didnt have the sling yet when I took this pic:
nov4.jpg

+1 for the Viking Tactical sling. I tried a number of configurations, and ended up favoring this sling setup. I got the sling and hardware from Larue Tactical.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sling.jpg
    sling.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I fought with the same thing with my last build. I was ready to order an upper with M4 handguards, but found what I wanted (Noveske) with a DD Omega installed at a great price. You can have clean and simple and still run a rail. The DD Omega rail has a side sling mount recessed into the rail, eliminating the need for another thing hanging off of the rifle. The only thing I have on the rail is a flashlight. Overall it is a fairly light "clean" rifle. I didnt have the sling yet when I took this pic:
nov4.jpg

God, that's a nice rifle...

Back
Top Bottom