Learning Traditional Double Action

Any thoughts on Traditional Double Action guns. I really have no experience with them and it seems that there might be a bigger learning curve to them then SA or DAO. I currently carry a revolver and am thinking of getting a semi-auto to carry but have concerns about becoming proficient with a TDA gun.

I am guessing just like anything it is a matter of practice.

Double action guns

There is no big deal about SA, DA/SA or DA only guns. They are fired the same way. This is one of those subjects that keep the gun mags going and is mostly a lot of crap. I find that SA guns like the 1911 are the easiest guns to learn to shoot well.
With that said, there is no big deal dealing with the transition from the first shot being DA and the rest being SA. The only problem is that most folks at the range cock the DA/SA gun so that all of the shots are SA. By doing this, they are cheating themselves by never learning how to use the DA trigger,
I have shot DA only guns, owned DA only guns, and taught the use of DA only guns. I am not covering Glocks as DA only guns, because they are not. The DA only gun was developed for the police as a measure of safety to overcome insufficient training. In my view the DA only gun is a clever solution to a problem what does not exist.

The well known solution to shooting any of these guns is to press the trigger smoothly to the rear until you get a surprise break. What ever you do, do not stage the trigger. I do suggest that for all but the DA only guns that everyone learn about trigger reset and use it all of the time, until it is a firmly embedded habit. Using trigger reset allows the shooter to shoot faster and more accurately.

BTW, last year we had a police officer shooting a SIG (DA/SA) in a class. In less than 2 hours he was shooting the SIG very well and reported that he aced his quals a few months later.

The only problem is that most folks at the range cock the DA/SA gun so that all of the shots are SA. By doing this, they are cheating themselves by never learning how to use the DA trigger,

This what what I had to fight when my department transitioned from the usual DA revolver to the S&W 659. Everyone tried to "cheat" by cocking the hammer at least at the 25 yard line. This was not allowed and after a short time no one had any problem qualifying and the scores went up. It just takes a decent amount of practice. My biggest concern with the traditional DA SA was instilling the habit of decocking the firearm before holstering and when off target.

Rscalzo
I guarantee that If you take just a 2 day class that will never be a concern. You just have to build the habit.
When I took my first class with a 1911, I was worried that I would forget to disengage the thumb safety. For all of my concern, it never happened. I think that we all worry too much about the wrong things

We transitioned way back in 84. The problem was getting them away from the revolver mindset into a SA. They feared it as the unknown. Everyone went through about a six hour course and eventually overcame the concerns. Now the young guys coming on look at anyone with a revolver as a antique.... But you are exactly right. Habit is the key...

In a way, the later DA only solved a lot of those problems as far as use on the street were concerned.

I have a Sig 229... The transition doesn't really effect me at all, since I practice with both interchangeably. I find that in double-action mode I am a little more accurate for some strange reason. I think it's because it allows me to be surprised, instead of expecting the shot.

Back
Top Bottom