VLTOR 1 Compensator

Anyone know what this product is classified as by the BATFE? http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24288. I'm looking for the same type of letter that BATFE sent to Primary Weapons Systems for their FCS556 and DTNC brakes/flash suppressors. I cannot find any information online. I called VLTOR...they seemed clueless. I told them I wanted to install this on a post ban and wanted to know what the BATFE classifies these units as.

They told me it was legal as long as I permanently fixed it. I told them that that is a different issue altogether and the reason to have the device permanently welded is to bring a 14.5" barrel into compliance AND in the case of Mass to not have it count against me as one of the 2 allowed "evil" feature (threaded barrel) - it does not however answer my question as to whether it is a flash hider or not which counts as another "evil" feature. The lady there must have though I was crazy.

Anyway, I thanked her for her "help" and hung up. I'm inclined to think it's "evil". Your thoughts please.

I can't say for sure, but all signs point to it being a 'flash suppressor'. Even though it acts as a comp as well, I doubt this is legal. The description of the item refers to it as a flash suppressor several times, and the opening is wide like a suppressor.

I doubt it is legal, given that it calls itself a flash supressor.

There are technical definitions** but they seem to involve a lot of grey area**
but I would guess that any product that is advertised as a flash suppressor is bad juju.

A couple of points:

There are many examples of compensators which
"unintentionally" suppress flash somewhat,or even slightly but
aren't marketed as such. There are also examples of plenty of
things marked as flash suppressors that fail to perform as
intended. None of this means, however, that the legal designation
of the device will flop one way or the other due to
these realities. The flash suppressor prohibition doesn't have
any real metrics associated with it other than name.

While MA adopts the definitions of the AWB, it is unclear to me
if they also adopt the same BATFE tech branch determinations
as to what does and does not constitute a suppressor. This is
something that either A. the AG's office [laugh] (don't even
think about it... you won't get a response...) or get one thats less
than useless.... or B. Case Law would have to prove out.

Given the above, on a post-rifle I would tread carefully. You
should stick to devices which are marketed and sold -soley- as a
compensator or recoil compensator, and the manufacturer
insists/sells as being AWB compliant.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom