Walther P22 Update

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Many know that the Walther P22 that I bought has been a "jam-o-matic", with the -A mags, with a number of different brands/flavors of ammo.

At Jim Conway's suggestion, I tried one last time . . . and bought a box of the Remington bulk .22 at Wally World.

Damn, the stuff fed reliably every time! I fired 40 rounds thru it the other night, using both mags twice with no problems.

So the solution is buy the cheap stuff at Wal-Mart and the gun appears to be fine. Anything else, you may regret it! [roll]

Glad you got yours to work.

I have been told that sending it to Walther was the only option, but when it comes back, it will be perfect.

I had nothing but problems, and drew the line when I had a case get stuck behind my back inside my shirt burning me. It was ejecting all the cases strait back at my head, which isn't right obviously....
So I called them, walther, and sensed a little attitude, so i sold it that day.

Replaced with a Mk3 hunter, 3000 rounds later, not a single problem.

I wish the Walther worked, I like it, especialy for its "typical" semi type design, but I just had enough of it. I tried every type of ammo on Walmart's shelves, nothing worked at all. At least I had a huge pile to burn through when I got the ruger!

Like I told Len, I've had mine for about a year and a half. I don't know if it's another design, but I've never had a problem with mine.

I've tried about 5 different brands of .22 ammo and never had a feeding or FTE.

I love mine.

Many people recommend hotter ammo such as the CCI Mini Mags. Mine seems to run well with CCI Standard.

They are such a cool little .22. However, the two I've had experience with both had failures to either extract or feed a new round. Be nice if they ever work the kinks out.

Tony D
My P22 has not burped. not even once. I think that Len's problems can be classified as "operator error". I know that len is very talented with cumputers and such, but a firearm is a mechanical device. and they require a different skill set. No, Len you can not press the "ESC" key to solve the firearm problem.

JimConway said:
Tony D
My P22 has not burped. not even once. I think that Len's problems can be classified as "operator error". I know that len is very talented with cumputers and such, but a firearm is a mechanical device. and they require a different skill set. No, Len you can not press the "ESC" key to solve the firearm problem.

Ohhh... That sounds like a burn to me if I ever heard one! :D

Adam

Jim needs to learn to never piss off the Moderators or Admin! [roll]

Also Mr. Wiseass, my Wife had the same problems with that P22 (it is an early S/N), whereas neither of us have problems with the Hi-Std Supermatic Tournament with the same ammo.

I suggest that you behave yourself or we'll have to put you on double-secret probation! [twisted] [wink]

I'm with Jim on this one. Hell, when I take it to the range with some of my buddies, I almost never get to shoot it becuase they are all shooting.

I think that they will end up putting a couple hundred rounds through it at each session.

And, just to see if it was something else. I took it to the range three times letting everyone shoot it without any issues before I cleaned it. So I couldn't even claim that it was because it was grimy. And trust me, it gets grimy.

Like I've said before. My only gripe is that it's a pain in the ass to clean. Well, not to clean, but to put back together when you're done.

JimConway said:
Len
When can I start the "double-secret probation"? Does that mean that i can throw more harpoons at you?

Watch out when I throw them back at you. You're a bigger target than I am!! [roll]

Expect to see us Sunday morning at choir practice. Then you can coach Deena with the P22!

We are both big targets. What I may have over you in height you more the make up for in girth.

Thanks for the warning about Sunday Choir Practice. I guess that I will have to be somewhere else. On second thought, why doen't Deena shoot and you can stay in the car and read the Sunday paper.
I would be pleased to work with Deena on her shooting

P22 & ammo

RE: the P22.
Got mine in Sept 2002. It did have to go back to Walrep (S&W) in Jan 2003 for a weak fp spring, and also a hammer shaving.
It's been fine since with the "proper ammo" (proper that is for my particular P22). Two of my frineds also bought P22's. We broke them in with CCI mini mags. The Remington HV bulk works fine (that is, if there's any primer in the rim!). I've used Velocitors, Stingers, AE HV, CCI Greentag, CCI Stds in my P22.
I do get an occasional stovepipe with Std Velocity stuff.
Mine is a 3.42" brl, my friends have 3.42" and 5" barrels.

Bought a P22 for my wife, we probably have around 2000 rounds through it now, not one problem. Bought it around october, perhaps they have gotten a little better.

I bought another P22, this one as a Christmas present for my nine-year old. Tried it with some Federal bulk pack earlier this week. It shot very well, but the slide would not strip the next round for about the first four or five shots in each magazine. When it got down to five rounds left in the mag, it seemed to work better. The Stingers did not have this trouble. I plan on taking my older one out soon and trying the Federal to see how that one works.

It's still a fun pistol and a good teaching tool.

Back
Top Bottom