Walther P99C AS as small Glock alternative

Having owned a full-sized P99 .40 for over a year, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Matter of fact, I was going to sell it when I bought my 1911, but can't bring myself to do it -- it's that good of a gun.

Interesting, I have to check one of those out.

I'm not too interested in paying the extra "Mass tax" either for a compact carry gun.

The P99c/SW99 compacts are small, but they are NOT as small as a Glock 26/27 is. (The OAL is bigger, and the guns are a little bit wider) That
being said, I still think they're pretty decent pistols. I had an SW99c
and the only reason I ended up selling it was I found that most of the
time I could end up getting away with carrying something bigger than
it, so it really didn't fit any need of mine.

-Mike

990l in .40 here. Compared to the G27, I personally think its almost 100% similar. I heard that Walther got sued for stealing ideas off Glock, and they settled out of court (maybe someone else knows more then my scuttlebutt).

I was checking both of them out, and got the SW because the grip felt better, was lower priced, and was brand new!

I stopped wanting a Glock 26 as soon as I took my then-new P99C AS to the range. Yes, it is a tiny bit bigger than a G26, but it actually weighs less. The Walther's ergonomics are far ahead of the Glock and, most imprtantly, it's a great shooter. The Walther P99C is a great handgun. I think I'm going to get some hi-viiz sights for mine.

As a reply to drgrant, my main point is that they're very similar sizewise and you get out from under the need to over-pay for a small Glock in the PRM.

As to size I didn't get out my ruler or really check the size specs. too much. I strapped the P99C on and it rides (for concealed carry) just the same on a paddle as the Glocks I referred to. Also, I'm guessing the size diff. is likely millimeters.

Anyway, I hope my post stimulates a few to check out the "Wally" as a nice alternative to the similarly sized Gs. You get a nice new gun for a lot less money.

The other thing the P99 and S&W variants have is that the introduction of the M&P is going to drive their prices down more. A year ago I paid $499 for my P99, and it was used. I think you can get a new M&P for about that price now. Which leads to another possibility -- a compact M&P.

I've dry fired some SW99/P99 variants and their DA/SA trigger was awful. Is the Quick Action trigger better?

As a reply to drgrant, my main point is that they're very similar sizewise and you get out from under the need to over-pay for a small Glock in the PRM.

I guess, but IMO a G26 and a P99c are not the same size.

G26- L 6.29 W 1.18 H 4.17
P99c L 6.60 W 1.30 H 4.30

The G26 is smaller in every dimension. The only thing the P99c beats
it out on is unloaded weight, but even thats debatable as walther's spec
is with the mag out (and glock doesnt state wether thatas with an empty
mag or not). Yes, I am nitpicking. I tend to do that when discussing
pistols that manufacturers try to call "compact". I feel that discussing
the size of the thing is important.

I guess what I'm getting at is if a person is shopping for something that
is the size of a G26 that a P99c is not a replacement size-wise. Yes, I'm nitpicking... because anyone that's owned and carried both of them knows that the 26 is perceptibly smaller.

If it's size isn't a huge consideration, then it's not really an
issue. The way you posed the question originally though, is to
compare them directly. I think the 99 wins on ergos but the
Glock wins on size. And for some people when selecting a pistol of
this type, the size is paramount.

I'm not bashing the 99 here (as a matter of fact, the other day I suggested
that a good friend of mine check out a P99c, because it is within her
price range and the hand ergos are better than the G26, as she has
hands the size of a kid's) but if you want to delude yourself that they are "basically" the same size, go right ahead. [grin]

-Mike

Is the P99C in the shoot a little carry a lot category or can it stand up to serious practice?

When I had my SW99c I put over 1000 rounds down its pipe without
any issues. Other than getting beaned in the head with brass during the
first 4 or 5 mags, it was great reliability wise. I realize thats not a
high round count by any means. I would venture a guess that you
should replace the recoil spring at regular intervals if you use it a
lot... since IMO smaller recoil springs tend to get the snot beat out of
them.

A friend of mine did have a problem with his SW99c in .40 though. We were
shooting it and a bottom piece of the frame chipped off. (we don't know
why... it just fell off somehow. ) He sent it in and S+W basically gave him
a new frame. I don't know if the walther QC is any better in this
regard. (AFAIK, Walther makes all the frames?)

One gun in the series I -don't- like is the QA though.... because of that
stupid nanny button they put on the top of the thing to decock the
striker. The problem with this button is if you press it on a loaded
gun by accident, you end up with a disabled firearm unless you do a
TRB to get it back into operation. The nanny switch was done a lot
better in the M+P, IMO.

-Mike

I've dry fired some SW99/P99 variants and their DA/SA trigger was awful. Is the Quick Action trigger better?

IMO all 99 triggers are rough out of the box. You have to put some
live/dry fires into the things and then they smooth out and even lighten up
considerably. (at least thats been my experience with the two I've owned
and the two others that my friend owns. )

-Mike

IMO all 99 triggers are rough out of the box. You have to put some
live/dry fires into the things and then they smooth out and even lighten up
considerably. (at least thats been my experience with the two I've owned
and the two others that my friend owns. )

-Mike

+1

I think the trigger on mine is quite good, actually.

I personally hate the sub-compact P99 in .40, and didn't like it much better in 9mm.

I have large hands and it dug into my thumb, and the felt recoil was much worse for me. In fact, of all of the guns I've fired, this was by far the worst (for me).

I have a G27 on the other hand, and can shoot that all day long.

Just goes to show you, try something for yourself, and don't rely on someone else's opinion because one person may love what another hates!

Last edited:
I guess, but IMO a G26 and a P99c are not the same size.

G26- L 6.29 W 1.18 H 4.17
P99c L 6.60 W 1.30 H 4.30

Actually, I looked at the 99c and my impression was that it was not that much smaller than my Glock 19, so I just now looked up the specs of the G19:

L 6.85 W 1.18 H 5.00

The length of the 99 is actually closer to the G19 length than the G26.
The Width of the G19 is actually SMALLER than the 99
but the Height of the 99 is .7 inches shorter.

Bob

Yea, I was comparing these directly and, no, I did not claim the 99C was smaller let alone the same size. I would say you're super-nitpicking ... duly noted for future reference. Your comment about being deluded, based on another inaccurate interpretation of my orig. post, violates the site code.

No disrespect/offense intended, hence the smiley. I apologize if you thought it was some sort of personal attack.

-Mike

I was thinking of getting a G27 as I already own and like a G22 figured why not get the small version and I have been on the lookout for something compact anyway. I will however check out the 99c as a possibility based on the posts here.

Is the P99C in the shoot a little carry a lot category or can it stand up to serious practice?

They are quite durable. I only have a few hundred rounds through mine, but from what I've read on the Walther forums, it's a good idea to replace the main spring at 5,000-round intervals. I've also read about the plastic recoil spring guide breaking and certain pins coming out or loosening up.

I did not think it was a "personal attack" but it was disrespectful smiley or not. I do appreciate the apology, however.

No disrespect/offense intended, hence the smiley. I apologize if you thought it was some sort of personal attack.

-Mike

I got my P99C unfired in 6/06. Since then it has been to two classes and a few IDPA competitions. It has 3500 rounds through it. In one class, I put around 1000 rounds through it over a period of 11 hours. It worked great except sometimes the slide would not completely close to battery thus not allowing me to press the decocking button.
I would say it's definitely a shoot a lot, carry a lot gun. However, I have the recoil spring break around 3500 round mark - rather suspicious. Unfortunately, with S&W was out of recoil springs, and I had to buy it from Earl for $45 shipped, compared to 15 shipped for a Glock 26/7 recoil spring.
I also have Glock 27 that I shot/carried while the 99C was out of service. Personally, I don't like firing 27 too much because it grates against my my thumb knuckle and middle finger. It's not something I can't survive, just not pleasant. P99C does not have this problem. I am also really liking Walther's mag release, since I can eject the mag using my tirgger finger without shifting the grip.
Overall, P99C is my primary carry and class gun, with the G27 possibly going on the sales floor.
The only downside for P99C are:
Higher priced and more scarce replacement parts.
More difficult to detail strip than a Glock.
Preban hi caps are much more expensive than the ones for Glocks.

Andrew.

Back
Top Bottom