Want to know about MIM ?

Thanks for the info. Wikipedia also has some interesting links to more info.
It seems that the use of MIM parts in guns, particularly by S&W, has resulted in controversy.
The processes of MIM and PM have been used to make gun parts since at least the 60s. As an unabashadly unrepentant former machinist, I prefer milled steel and walnut in my guns. OTOH, I have and have had guns with MIM or PM parts and have not had any problems related to the processes. I have heard stories of these parts breaking, but have also seen many hardened steel parts fail due to fatigue or improper heat treatment.
The pluses of MIM parts is their consistency of size, which eliminates the need for hand fitting. The minuses appear to be high surface hardness with much softer substrates, which eliminates the possibility of modifying the parts.

When I had a Dan Wesson revolver, back in the late 70s, I wanted to cut off the hammer spur for concealed carry. One of the DW engineers cautioned me that I might seriously compromise the hammer by releasing unpredictable internal stresses. The gun went back to the factory for a complete rebuild every couple thousand rounds, due not to issues with the MIM parts, but simple poor design. After the second rebuild, I sold it to someone who was happy to simply admire it rather than to shoot it.

I think I said this before but, MIM done correctly by a quality company is nothing to worry about but if a company sees it as a cheap corner to cut then you should not buy anything from them with or without MIM parts.

Back
Top Bottom