Wasr-10 lo -> high cap.

So right now I have a lo cap wasr 10 that I got while I had an FID, but as of this morning I have an LTC-A. How hard is to modify it to a high cap, and how do you do it? Or would it be easier to buy a high cap and sell the lo cap. Assuming I could even find one now anyway.

Um you sure it's a Wasr-10? Wasr-10s come equipped with detachable mags so im surprised you were even able to posses it w/ an FID. It's not an SKS is it? That's the only other rifle I can think of that has the specs you're mentioning. If I'm wrong here by all means release the peanut gallery on me but considering I have a WASR-10 I think I'm pretty familiar w/ its capabilities...

nope. its a lo cap model that has a narrow mag well and can only accept 10 round single stack magazines. The 30 round mags wont fit into the mag well so its not considered a high cap firearm and therefore legal to posess with an FID. I got it from Zero Hour.

Hmm consider me enlightened. I remember seeing a video on Youtube by a Survivalist that said I guess Wasr milled out their receivers to accept the double stacks. Maybe you can get that looked into? Good luck w/ that.

Bring it back to Mark, he's the dremil master!

But if you do decide to dremil it on your own, I advise stripping the receiver.

I've seen the low capacity WASR-10's before too. Plymouth Bay Outfitters, or M&M's, whichever they go by these days, had one. Pete said the mag well can be dremel'd to accept the high cap mags.

Bring it back to Mark, he's the dremil master!

But if you do decide to dremil it on your own, I advise stripping the receiver.

Dremils can be a dangerous tool in the wrong hands. Looks like the 'gunsmith'
really butchered that job.

The cuttings wheels will zip through real nice, but they have a tendency to wander a bit. Instead of cutting along the lines, he should have cut just a tad inside and completed the final fitting and cleanup with set of jewelers files.

It also didn't help that his template was poorly laid out. Best way to do that is with some layout fluid, straightedge and a fine metal scribe.

Maybe I'm being anal about it, but he really ruined that rifle.

Not really relevant. While the text of the law talks about "capable of accepting" a large capacity magazine, which would include damn near everything with a detachable magazine, the accepted interpretation is only those firearms explicitly designated as large capacity on the published EOPS list or those that actually accompanied by a large capacity magazine require the higher level license, i.e., any LTC for long guns or an LTC-A for handguns.

Ken

Not really relevant. While the text of the law talks about "capable of accepting" a large capacity magazine, which would include damn near everything with a detachable magazine, the accepted interpretation is only those firearms explicitly designated as large capacity on the published EOPS list or those that actually accompanied by a large capacity magazine require the higher level license, i.e., any LTC for long guns or an LTC-A for handguns.

I agree with your interpretation, Ken. But additionally Scrivener had talked several times about guns that come from the factory with a large capacity feeding device also being considered large capacity weapons and therefor unacceptable for an FID, even if they're not on the list nor have a large capacity feeding device present. I still haven't found the legal foundation for that position, but if the lawyer said it...

Anyway, that situation wouldn't apply here, since the lo-cap WASR's specifically come from the factory with only 10 rounders.

Last edited:
I think that you're misinterpreting what Keith posted. The EOPS list is made up of those guns that they've determined to be normally marketed with large capacity magazines. There's no reason that anyone who purchases a gun with a lo cap magazine should be expected to know that that gun is "usually" sold with a large cap magazine. That's what the list is intended to determine.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom