water damaged 22lr ammo disposal?

So,

I have about 800 .22lr rounds from this weekend that have gotten wet and the copper has started to corrode (oxidization is setting in).

I would assume that to be safe I would want to dump the ammo somewhere, but I have no idea where. it's abit much to throw into a dud can at the range...

any ideas?

shoot it...

if it happened this weekend then it hasn't corroded through...and rimfires are technically supposed to be waterproof( no water leakage around the primer) so most should still fire.

if all else fails, dry it out in the oven.

Last edited:
ahh,so I dont have to worry about the powder being crapped due to sitting in the rain for a bit? I dont mind cleaning the ammo off, but would hate to risk blowing my barrel with a squib.

you wont (shouldn't) blow up your barrel with 1 squib...it will be the 2nd round, the one that hits the squib. Unless your using your 800 rnds as defense rounds I really wouldnt worry about it, dry em off and go to the range. If it goes bang it will go bang fully, if it doesnt go bang wait 30 sec and eject it into the dud bin.

Just shoot 'em. Keep them close to some dessicant or something. I have a box from the Harvard 'seed in August that was during a Hurricane also. I put them next to the Golden Rod in my safe and they seem fine.

Shoot 'em.

+1

I have a bunch of .22 from the LFOD Appleseed that got pulled off the line after they got soaked.

When I first started to use it, there was a 50 - 50 ratio to click - bang. (Which made it good for my own ball-and-dummy drills [wink])

After letting them dry out for a few weeks the click - bang ratio is more like 1 - 100.

trashcan.jpg

Some of you overthink this too much.

I had some wet .22 LR's, and some of the bullets were a bit loose. Powder didn't burn well, and so I gave em away. Their plan was to let them sit in a warm place for two years, and then use them. Hahahahahaha.. People in Maine......

I have mine 'baking' under two floor lamps after a hand tumble with paper towels, not to close to get hot, but hopfuly close enough to dry them out. we'll see later this week how they work.

Back
Top Bottom