Weird Federal Gun Purchace Question...

OK, here's my question.

How would it work, if you were allowed to purchace a gun in your state, whatever that would be. Now, I want to get you a firearm as a gift but I can't buy in your state, but I can't send you a firearm either.

SO, what I want to do, is call up the dealer near you. Pay the dealer for the firearm, and you go in and fill out the paperwork and pick up under your name.

Is that possible??

I pay in your town over the phone, you pick up under your name. The firearm is for you, not me. I'm I'm going to do is pay for it.

Good question

I'm just guessing but I'll bet you'll have to send your friend the money and let him buy it. THere's a question on the federal about whether you are actually purchasing the gun for yourself. He'll have to sign the form, but if he is not actually purchasing it, it might not work.

Hope you get a real answer

100% legal to do. What CAN'T be done legally is for your friend to transfer to you after.

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2000_ref.htm

16. "STRAW PURCHASES"

An example of an illegal straw purchase is as follows: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. If Mr. Jones fills out Form 4473, he violates the law by falsely stating that he is the actual buyer of the firearm. Mr. Smith also violates the law because he has unlawfully aided and abetted or caused the making of false statements on the form.

Where a person purchases a firearm with the intent of making a gift of the firearm to another person, the person making the purchase is indeed the
true purchaser. There is no straw purchaser in these instances. In the above example, if Mr. Jones had bought a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Smith as a birthday present, Mr. Jones could lawfully have completed Form 4473. The use of gift certificates would also not fall within the category of straw purchases. The person redeeming the gift certificate would be the actual purchaser of the firearm and would be properly reflected as such in the dealer's records.

(Mr Smith could also do the 4473)

And that's what I'm thinking here.

I live in State X, my friend lives in State Y. I pay Joe Dealer in State Y 500 bucks for firearm as a gift for Friend. Friend goes to Joe Dealer and picks up the firearm at local shop in State Y and fills out proper paperwork. He keeps the gun for himself. I'm happy in State X because I gave friend present that he wanted. Not bag of Potporri.

And you can check the info by going to the link I gave. You should download that reference, or at least bookmark it. It is THE reference for Federal Gun Laws.

Or...
You could just simply call the shop and ask if they would sell you a gift certificate for the exact purchase price and then give your friend the gift cert...

Adam

Thanks Nickel...I will check it out.

And Adam, this is really the start of something else. I don't want to buy a gun for someone... I was just wondering how it would be if Someone wanted to buy a gun for someone.

I just got to thinking about that post that SiameseRat rat put up...That's all...

Back
Top Bottom