What does "non-import" mean?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I have seen some M1 carbines referred to as "non-import". What does that mean? How could an M1 carbine be imported? I thought they were all made in the US..

There were a few M1 Carbines that came in a while back with an import mark by Blue Sky I believe. I think these were some of the earliest imports to the US from Korea.
All M1 Carbines were made in the US but a lot were sent out to foreign countries for use and later returned to the US by importers after being reworked with stocks and asst. fittings.
The CMP doesn't have any stampings for importation and considers their firearms as lend lease type guns which come back through the Govt.
Other places like Century Arms will import firearms (even M1 carbines lately) and stamp them somewhere on the rifle (usually on the barrel end or on the reciever) and sell them off to US buyers.
Chances are the "non import" ones you see are ones that stayed here in the US after use and have been designated for sale to civillians from various companies.

Non-imports mean no import stamps. If they were lent overseas then returned and surplused, they would never have been stamped by some import company. Same with GI bringbacks.

Almost all of the common rifles you see for sale from milsurp distributors are import stamped. Like Milsurp said, CMP guns aren't import guns because they were lend-leased and thus no private company had to stamp it to import it.

Should also be noted here that imported rifles were only required to be stamped after a certain date, sometime in the early to mid 80s I believe. You can still find Mosin Nagants, Mausers, etc. that were imported by companies but were never stamped. Those are the early imports.
Anyone know what time frame or date it was that required imports be stamped by the importer?

Back
Top Bottom