what guns?

recently went for my ltc and wondering what guns everyone started with or would recomend to a noob. history on me is 43, ex navy loved the m16 hated the 1911 (did ok with it but to big for what i'm looking for) but it has been 20+ yrs. looking to take my wife and kids (12+10) on a regular bases, thinking ruger 10 22 for a long gun to start, i want a 9 to carry ( this is what i realy need recomendations on) and a 22 pistol for everyone else to play with.

smileyfish said:
recently went for my ltc and wondering what guns everyone started with or would recomend to a noob. history on me is 43, ex navy loved the m16 hated the 1911 (did ok with it but to big for what i'm looking for) but it has been 20+ yrs. looking to take my wife and kids (12+10) on a regular bases, thinking ruger 10 22 for a long gun to start, i want a 9 to carry ( this is what i realy need recomendations on) and a 22 pistol for everyone else to play with.

Stay ruger if you like the brand.

My choice will be
1. Glock 19 for CCW
2. Ruger SR 22 for plinking fun
3. Ruger 10/22 for plinking fun
4. Add one more for HD, pump shotgun (moss erg, Remington)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Last edited:
+1. Ruger 10/22
+1 Ruger SR22
SR9c, s&w shield, Sig 938, glock something for ccw. 2 of them u have to wait to become approved.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One S via tapatalk

I love my S&W model 41 22 pistol. For budget you cant beat a ruger MK III .
there are tons of older 22 rifles out there. My favorites
Remington 552 speedmaster. 513t target master. This is a big heavy rifle for a 22
Then there's the lever actions.....silly fun to shoot.
Hand gun for carry.....this is the hardest. After several types I found a S&W 4013 tsw in 40 to be my best carry. Holds ten rounds had a thick grip that I can grab well in a hurry. It hides well draws smooth and I can shoot it well under a fast draw. I carried a 1911 for a while. It wad fine but heavy.

Can't go wrong with a 10-22. I have a M&P 15-22 and love it. If you are used to an AR it will be like an old friend.

I have a Ruger Mark III and it's great except cleaning it.

Carry guns are really impossible to recommend. Some folks like Glock, some M&P, some Sig. You really have to handle some guns and see what feels right in your hand. You might also consider a revolver

smileyfish,

First three guns were (thirty years ago), in order:

S&W Model 19 .357 revolver with 4" bbl.
Ruger 10/22
Ruger Mark 1.

I still have them all. I still shoot them all, too. The Mark 1 doesn't get shot much because I have a Mark II, too... but I keep the Mark I for when I have guests at the range. If I had to buy them new now, they'd be a S&W 686 and a Mark III but I'd still buy them again.

'Nuff said?

PHP:
Buy a glock 19, then a glock 26, then something even smaller:)

The more you carry the smaller the better , thats why i love the glock 26 10 rds and a backup 17 rd mag from my fullsize glock 17.

Btw im a 9mm glock fangirl... Lol

But just bought a ruger lcp for summer , no where to hide a 26 in a tank and shorts.

Last edited:
First 3 guns for me, in order as well:
Springfield XD40 Service Model
S&W1911SC E Series
Mosin Nagant 91/30

Next purchase for EDC: S&W M&P Shield 9mm

Glock 19 or sr9c for your carry 9. Honestly the sr9c has a better trigger and will be way cheaper than most ma Glocks Any m&p will need 100 dollar trigger job.

10/22 for a plinker

Ruger mark 2 or 3 for 22 pistol

Second vote for SR9c, definitely worth a look. Compared to Mass triggers, the SR9c will surprise you, and the slim grip helps with concealment.

Can't go wrong with a 10/22..decently accurate, insanely customizable.

Round out the trio with the Ruger MKIII, though as others have said, the cleaning process can be...interesting.

For a .22lr pistol, the advice I got from a wise old man was: "Buy a Ruger MKII or MKIII, otherwise you will wish you had bought one in the first place".
No offense, but to buy anything besides a MK series .22lr is a foolish mistake. [grin]

1a45eb6a.jpg

Stay ruger if you like the brand.

My choice will be
1. Glock 19 for CCW
2. Ruger SR 22 for plinking fun
3. Ruger 10/22 for plinking fun
4. Add one more for HD, pump shotgun (moss erg, Remington)

Excellent start for a noob...

I'd add that a 9mm is very cheap to shoot. So, that is a great all around handgun...cheap and low recoil. Ruger is a solid brand and make excellent firearms.

Cannot go wrong with a sr22 or the 10/22. Cheap ammo is always good and something with NO recoil will alleviate any fears/anxiety for the wife and kids to get started in the sport.

As for Home Defense (HD), i like the suggestion of the shotgun, only edit I'd suggest is to get a semi-auto...specifically, a SAIGA 12.

I started with a ruger sr9c due to price point. Lived the gun.

I also have a 10/22 perfect for kids too!

As for 9mm I'd carry now, Glock 26/19 for EDC, kahr pm9 (pocketable) that's just me you'll get many many options that'll make great choices.

I also like sig sp2022 for pricepoint or HK usp9c (more $$)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walther PPS for a CCW 9mm. It is reliable, it doesn't have a stupid mag release on the side that you might hit by accident, it has been around for a while, and it will even shoot the cheap crappy Tula 9mm ammo.

A lot of people are talking about getting the shield, like its something new and amazing (it is not). The PPS is smaller and has been around for longer.

10/22 is a lot of fun. So is the new SR22 pistol. I just posted a thread about it.

Last edited:
The 10/22 and the mark III are excellent choices for the range and to teach your wife and kids. As far as carry, find something comfortable for yourself. What might be great for you may suck for someone else. I like to carry my bodyguard 380 or my smith 38 revolver and on occasion my Beretta 92.

pistol skill comes much harder/slower than rifle skill, so you need to practice a lot with a .22 handgun, of the type that you mean to get in 9mm. I recommend the Keltec PF-9, because the front pants pocket holster is the ccw method of choice, due to its unbeatable speed (starting hand on gun, in pocket, discrete) Google for Twisted Industries .22 conversion unit for the Keltec 9mm.

Front pants pocket is the method of choice for CCW? News to me. I understand your thinking, but Im confident its easier to draw from a good waist holster in various positions.

I'm also finding I hate pocket guns. Sr9c is personally about as small as Id go. I got my fiance a kahr mk9 and Ive carried it a few times for !!ts and giggles but it doesn't feel right to me. Im sticking with the P229 for now. Ymmv

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

It's news to most people, cause they aint tried it. NOBODY can match the speed of a hand in pocket draw, using a concealed belt rig, with the hands starting in a discrete position. You give up at least 1/4 second, time for EACH enemy to shoot stab or club you, with EACH hand. Most people are giving up 1/2 second or more, too. If you can't see trouble coming in time to put your hand into your pocket and on th gun butt, no gun or rig is likely to save you. Pull that gun "too soon', and you'll get a brandishing charge and loss your ccw permit. The hand in pocket lets you wait that last "extra" fraction of a second, before declaring yourself. By far the great majority of the time, you don't have to fire, IF you get your gun "on" the miscreant in time for him to see it and stop his attack. Many more times, MISSES suffice to run him off, or fast, solid hits with a "mere" . 22lr suffice, too. It's actually quite rare for a civilian to have to "shoot him into the ground" with solid, powerful, swift repeat hits. That is, IF you are smart enough to leave him an escape route. It's even more rare for you to have to hit more than one attacker to run off his buddies.

It's news to most people, cause they aint tried it. NOBODY can match the speed of a hand in pocket draw, using a concealed belt rig, with the hands starting in a discrete position. You give up at least 1/4 second, time for EACH enemy to shoot stab or club you, with EACH hand. Most people are giving up 1/2 second or more, too. If you can't see trouble coming in time to put your hand into your pocket and on th gun butt, no gun or rig is likely to save you. Pull that gun "too soon', and you'll get a brandishing charge and loss your ccw permit. The hand in pocket lets you wait that last "extra" fraction of a second, before declaring yourself. By far the great majority of the time, you don't have to fire, IF you get your gun "on" the miscreant in time for him to see it and stop his attack. Many more times, MISSES suffice to run him off, or fast, solid hits with a "mere" . 22lr suffice, too. It's actually quite rare for a civilian to have to "shoot him into the ground" with solid, powerful, swift repeat hits. That is, IF you are smart enough to leave him an escape route. It's even more rare for you to have to hit more than one attacker to run off his buddies.
Bull S**T.

My PPS gets caught on the edge of my pocket, and my pants are not big enough to carry in the pocket (thats why it gets caught). So I am a lot faster using an inside the waste-band holster.
You have to remember that not everyone uses big pants with big pockets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom