• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What should my next training be?

J

Jose

OK, two weekends ago I completed a 10 hr advanced CCW class. Lots of repetitions of the basics: draw, shoot, reholster. Plus a good dose of shooting while moving, one and weak hand draws and shoots, and some lecture time on the legalities.

What to do next?

I have two opportunities in early August within my budget:

A two day Level II and Level III handgun training at the Tactical Defense Institute in southern OH.

or

A two day intermediate carbine course in Michigan with 10-8 Consulting.

Hive mind sez?

I already know how to shoot.
So you can consistantly hit a man-sized target at 500yards with just a rack-grade rifle, mil-surp ammo, no scope, no bipod, and no benchrest?

I am familiar with the program Nickle is alluding to, and he has already taught many shooters of all skill-levels to shoot at the level I described, and for a better price than any 'tacticool' class can hope to offer.

'Course, if you have money to burn...

I'd rather spend my money on ammunition, personally.

I guess it all depends on what you want to get out of the training. The carbine course is something that would interest me, but then again a close quarters combat, or a force on force training is something that I am looking forward to taking personally.

What course next.

I would be concerned about any 10 hr advanced CCW class that had lots of repetitions of the basics: draw, shoot, reholster. Plus a good dose of shooting while moving, one and weak hand draws and shoots, and some lecture time on the legalities. That is simply not enough time to cover all of these things even superficially.

The question of what course to take next is something that I am often asked. The answer that I give is to keep taking basic classes until you can do all of the above list without a conscious thought. In each class you will learn the basic material better and will become a better fighter.

I train for 18 to 20 days a year with some of the best in the training industry and still take a basic course at least once a year. The basics are all that there is and all that you need. Remember that there are no advanced gunfights.

So you can consistantly hit a man-sized target at 500yards with just a rack-grade rifle, mil-surp ammo, no scope, no bipod, and no benchrest?

With each and every shot. In fact, I do it at 600 too.

Give me a scoped rifle and good ammo and I'll do it at 1000.

How many times do we need to repeat the fact that neither highpower (in which I have a Master classification) nor derivatives like the Appleseed teach people how to FIGHT wth a firearm?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be concerned about any 10 hr advanced CCW class that had lots of repetitions of the basics: draw, shoot, reholster. Plus a good dose of shooting while moving, one and weak hand draws and shoots, and some lecture time on the legalities. That is simply not enough time to cover all of these things even superficially.
I can understand your concern. But it was never touted as "this is all you need". The "advanced" adjective was applied in relation to the rather pedestrian training requirements placed by the state of Ohio on CHL applicants. I got more than my money's worth.

The answer that I give is to keep taking basic classes until you can do all of the above list without a conscious thought. In each class you will learn the basic material better and will become a better fighter.
I agree. Now the question in mind is this: carbine or handgun?

The fun side of my brain says "carbine" just because.

The logical side of my brain says "handgun" because that is what I carry when I carry a firearm in public. The chances of me needing to wield a firearm in earnest for self defense are statistically small, but in the event that my number comes up I will almost certainly have a handgun in my hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jose',

Take a look at the schedule of Instructors we have coming starting this month and the next 5 months. You will not find a better group or variety to choose from. If you want in your face CQB handgun then Craig Douglas aka Southnarc is your man www.shivworks.com and Jeff Gonzalez for CQB carbine

Check out whos coming to New England this summer at www.neshooters.com

Quote; Its easy to be Brave from a distance.

If you can take the Pat Rogers carbine course, take that.

Other options geographically close are the Jeff Gonzales carbine course,
southnarc course
Tactical Response Fighting Pistol and Advanced fighting pistol in Sanford, ME
can't go wrong with any of them.

Jose, have you considered teaching?

No, this is not a jab/joke/flame. It sounds like you are well-skilled; others could benefit from your expertise. Again, I'm not being a dick, here (for once).

Jose',

Take a look at the schedule of Instructors we have coming starting this month and the next 5 months. You will not find a better group or variety to choose from. If you want in your face CQB handgun then Craig Douglas aka Southnarc is your man www.shivworks.com and Jeff Gonzalez for CQB carbine

Check out whos coming to New England this summer at www.neshooters.com

Quote; Its easy to be Brave from a distance.

Thanks for the heads up but it needs to be one of the two choices I gave due to the limitations of vacation and travel budgets both in terms of money and time.

Jose, have you considered teaching?

No, this is not a jab/joke/flame. It sounds like you are well-skilled; others could benefit from your expertise. Again, I'm not being a dick, here (for once).

Thanks for the compliment. I am nowhere near good enough to teach anything related to defensive shooting.

I can, and have, coached others in competitive HP rifle shooting.

The logical side of my brain says "handgun" because that is what I carry when I carry a firearm in public. The chances of me needing to wield a firearm in earnest for self defense are statistically small, but in the event that my number comes up I will almost certainly have a handgun in my hand.
It seems to me you've already made up your mind but don't know it yet. I'd respectfully suggest following your instinct on this one.

Thanks for the compliment. I am nowhere near good enough to teach anything related to defensive shooting.
Sounds like a worthy goal to me.

Have fun, learn well, whichever you choose.

Back
Top Bottom