• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What would have happened, and listen to your press!

So the other day I forgot EC’s lesson about if the press suddenly responds differently, something went wrong, and I loaded some 380 super auto. What is 380 super auto? I loaded a 147FMJ on top of 4.0GR power pistol, 1.160”, in a .380 ACP case. (Actually, I did this 6 times). Each time, I thought "wow, that sized easy”. The 7th time, it tripped at the primer station and I realized what happened.

After looking at all ~600 loaded rounds to make sure I got them all, I wondered what would have happened had I not caught this or failed to notice while loading a magazine. It would have been fired out of a Ruger PCC, 16” barrel. What would the failure mode have been?

Buck up and get the Dillon case separator trays. $40 plus shipping and I put off the purchase for years. I save so much time and hassle sorting pistol and rifle cases, it’s worth every penny.

For thread relevance and just for future reference, no 147gr bullets are recommended for barrels longer than 10”. So, minus the case fails, who knows? Do plenty of people use 147’s in PCC’s? YUP! Should they? Apparently not?

And for the record, I was not aware of this until last year when I read it (about 147’s) multiple times on different reloading forums and manufacturers websites and reloading manuals. Save the heavy bullets for your pistols.

Last edited:
Buck up and get the Dillon case separator trays. $40 plus shipping and I put off the purchase for years. I save so much time and hassle sorting pistol and rifle cases, it’s worth every penny.

For thread relevance and just for future reference, no 147gr bullets are recommended for barrels longer than 10”. So, minus the case fails, who knows? Do plenty of people use 147’s in PCC’s? YUP! Should they? Apparently not?

And for the record, I was not aware of this until last year when I read it (about 147’s) multiple times on different reloading forums and manufacturers websites and reloading manuals. Save the heavy bullets for your pistols.
Hmm never heard of that. Interesting

What is the explanation for this?
Are they worried about a bullet getting stuck in the bore?

No reason given...I think it was Delta Precision’s website that had the disclaimer under their 147’s, but of course it’s not there now.
Yeah that’s my guess. Probably not enough oomph with most of the common fast burning powders guys use.
Not everyone looks that deep into reload data or takes into consideration barrel length especially talking about a cartridge whose data is probably fired/developed 99% of the time in and for pistols.

I've accidentally loaded .380 cases while loading 9mm. I usually find them during the sizing operation but once in a while one gets by. I've only used them in a full auto and they just fall so far into the chamber that the firing pin can't reach them. I guess in a closed bolt gun, the extractor would hold it against the bolt face so the firing pin could set it off. I think the shorter case would result in higher pressure but I don't know if the increase would be enough to cause problems.

So a few observations at the range today
I easily spotted a 380 cartridge when loading my PCC magazine, where not specifically looking for it.

Using 4.0 power pistol under a 147Gr FMJ, at 1.160, I got
810, 826, 861,854,849,834,832,832,810,861 out of a 4.7” P320 barrel
789,817,826,838,828,818,817,825,756,832,833,739 out of the 16” Ruger barrel
Nobody got stuck in the barrel, and I shot ~50 rounds of the same load on Friday, but I was very surprised to see that the velocity results were basically the same. So apparently there is an issue with 147gr FMJ bullets in long barrels?

Using 4.3gr of Win244 under a 115 coated RN, I got
an average of 1086 in the 4.7”, and an average of 1300 in the 16"
This is more like what I had expected, and what similar to what I have observed in all my other 115gr loads.

So a few observations at the range today
I easily spotted a 380 cartridge when loading my PCC magazine, where not specifically looking for it.

Using 4.0 power pistol under a 147Gr FMJ, at 1.160, I got
810, 826, 861,854,849,834,832,832,810,861 out of a 4.7” P320 barrel
789,817,826,838,828,818,817,825,756,832,833,739 out of the 16” Ruger barrel
Nobody got stuck in the barrel, and I shot ~50 rounds of the same load on Friday, but I was very surprised to see that the velocity results were basically the same. So apparently there is an issue with 147gr FMJ bullets in long barrels?

Using 4.3gr of Win244 under a 115 coated RN, I got
an average of 1086 in the 4.7”, and an average of 1300 in the 16"
This is more like what I had expected, and what similar to what I have observed in all my other 115gr loads.
I wouldn’t call that an issue really I would just say that 9mm doesn’t gain too much with heavy bullets in long barrels.

The little 9mm case is very small and burns pretty efficiently. The 147 is like running a 200 in a 357. There just ain’t enough case to get the speed up with that heavy of a bullet.

There’s no room for the extra dose of slow powder you would need to get the increased speed out of the longer barrel and a faster powder burns up in the first 5” and you could lose velocity in the longer barrel. That being the main concern.

I could see it as a concern with factory cheap plinking ammo. Those guys want to use a pinch of fast burning powder instead of twice the dose of the slower powder so they can save money. They also tend to understate their velocity.

However with hand loading you can work with whatever powder is available and make sure you get the proper results.

Back
Top Bottom