• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's considered "quality ammo" for use in a rifle or pistol class?

Varmint

NES Member
Does this mean brass and not steel 5.56mm? What would not be 'quality ammo'?

I need 5.56 and 9mm for a carbine class I want to take.

Last edited:
I generally take it to mean... any ammo that doesn't make you 'that guy'. 'that guy' being the guy who is a:

$_35.JPG

because his gun isn't running every 30 seconds.

Does this mean brass and not steel 5.56mm? I need 5.56 and 9mm for a carbine class I want to take.

I don't think they course is requesting you buy a certain "quality" of ammo like steel or brass case.........I think they are nudging you to be sure you are running ammo that will cycle your fire arm properly so you are not holding up the class all day long! THink about it......what good does making sure you are shooting "high quality brass case ammo" do for the guy running the course if you spend the whole day clearing jams! I'm sure the instructor would not care if you were running steel case ammo that is inexpensive as long as your gun is eating it properly. Plenty of guns will cycle steel case but choke on certain types of "quality stuff". Hopefully you have tested a few different brands in your guns and know what works best........don't go out and buy a bunch of shit you have never tested cuz it won't put as big of a dent in your wallet and on the flip side don't take a mortgage out and spend a shit ton of $$ on the "best amo" you can get if you've never tried it in your gun.

If you have not tested any ammo that you know works well I'd wait on the class until I did test some options.......so you are not "that guy".

Last edited:
I have a spikes and WW ar15. the spikes will eat anything i feed it. the WW is picky. it short strokes with tula but shoots just fine with brass 223 or 556. you should buy a couple boxes of what you plan to shoot and try it out. Ive only ever had issues with steel cased ammo. How are your mags? you should try them before your class as well.

I would need some targets for context M1911, but I suspect in your case it was something to be proud of!

If you got the soup sandwich patch... well... sry. LMAO

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they course is requesting you buy a certain "quality" of ammo like steel or brass case.........I think they are nudging you to be sure you are running ammo that will cycle your fire arm properly so you are not holding up the class all day long! THink about it......what good does making sure you are shooting "high quality brass case ammo" do for the guy running the course if you spend the whole day clearing jams! I'm sure the instructor would not care if you were running steel case ammo that is inexpensive as long as your gun is eating it properly. Plenty of guns will cycle steel case but choke on certain types of "quality stuff". Hopefully you have tested a few different brands in your guns and know what works best........don't go out and buy a bunch of shit you have never tested cuz it won't put as big of a dent in your wallet and on the flip side don't take a mortgage out and spend a shit ton of $$ on the "best amo" you can get if you've never tried it in your gun.

If you have not tested any ammo that you know works well I'd wait on the class until I did test some options.......so you are not "that guy".

Ok thanks - i wasn't sure it meant they want rounds that won't be bouncing off steel targets and flying everywhere, but if they're just concerned about ammo that runs I'll try to test it first. I don't even have a rifle yet.

Are you saying that I shouldn't have been proud when the instructor gave me one of these at my last class?

policestuff_2323_105988341

[wink]

That's too funny. I want one of those!

I'd agree, if I could, but everytime Whacko's avatar makes an appearance my brain vaporlocks and I just can't read anymore!

ah yes, because your avatar isn't at all distracting!!!
between the two of you I can't remember WTF I was going to write.

ah yes, because your avatar isn't at all distracting!!!
between the two of you I can't remember WTF I was going to write.

All I can say is it is a damn good thing jtnf's avatar is not animated..........O......M.....G

Most course restrictions on ammo refer to reloads. It would have been much clearer, if they just stated "No reloaded ammo".

Most every course I've taken said no reloads in the coursensign up material and yet most every student, including myself, used their own reloads.

If you reload and your reloads work, then bring them and don't worry about it. If your reloads aren't reliable or accurate, than don't bring them. Don't bring cheap, crappy commercial reloads.

Basically, bring ammo that works and is accurate, whether commercial or your own reloads. You want to be able to focus on the instruction, not clearing failures to feed or squibs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom