What's my best option for heating if the power goes out?

Please, Chris - do NOT go with kero. First off, they stink. And second off, I've gone to one funeral for an entire family thanks to one of these inventions of the devil; I'd rather not go to another. (little girl wasn't warm enough in her bedroom so she went to the living room where the kero heater was; the investigators think that she let a corner of her blanket drape on or near the kero heater... which started the fire that killed her entire family. Seven closed caskets.)
I can't really see how a kerosene heater is any more or less dangerous than a gas heater that you recommended. Any space heater, gas, kero, electric, or a fireplace or wood stove is dangerous for an unattended child. If you have children in the house, I would not recommend running ANY space heater unattended. Also lock you guns up, keep sharp knives out of the reach of children, car keys out of their site, etc. Just like anything else as regards keeping children safe.ETA

ETA: kerosene heaters properly set up do not stink.

My gas forced hot air system is 110V and only draws about 150W to run the blower motor and control electronics. During the last extended power outage, I got it up and running off a small inverter running off my car. It was a jury-rigged hack job, but it was enough to warm the house back up. Cost less than $100 and now I have an inverter and a bigass extension cord that I can use for all kinds of things.

Harbor Freight has adequate Generators for $129.99 63cc, 900 Watts Max/800 Watts Rated Portable Generator - Certified for California

Furnaces are usually hard-wired - this is in the Building Code. If you're not concerned about code just put a Grounded Plug on the wires coming from the Furnace, and a grounded Wall Outlet on the house wiring.

When power goes out, just unplug your Furnace from the Wall, and then plug into an 12ga or heavier Extension Cord attached to your Portable Generator outside.

All these components are at Harbor Frieght for short money.

If you're inexperienced with wiring, please have a Licensed Electrician do it. It's probably a two hour job. Wiring is not a hobby.

Last edited:
Another good option would be a kerosene heater. You would use 1-2 gallons a day to heat the main floor of the house. It's easy to store a couple of 5 gallon cans in a shed, or even outside under a small tarp. The heaters don't require a vent, and when used correctly are almost odor free. The advantage is they are very efficient compared to propane, and more convenient to use than wood, especially for emergency use.

Lots of info at this site: Miles Stair's Wick Shop. Miles is a bit of a prepper if you poke around on his site.

Take a look at Kerosene heaters. They throw a lot of heat and don't need to be vented. They do stink for the first few minutes after lighting so put near a window and crack it a bit until the heat starts kicking in.

This. Go Kerosene. I grew up using them. They are a perfect fit for what you ware trying to accomplish and when used PROPERLY they do not make a house smell. Small storage for a high heat output.

Kerosene heaters are no more dangerous than guns in a house with children. Teach the kids to respect tools, not fear them.

Seriously guys. Saying "Don't use a kerosene heater because I know someone who died!" is like saying don't buy a gun or a car because they kill people. Stupid people get killed by lots of things. Don't be stupid, educate yourself and reap the rewards.

This. Go Kerosene. I grew up using them. They are a perfect fit for what you ware trying to accomplish and when used PROPERLY they do not make a house smell. Small storage for a high heat output.

Kerosene heaters are no more dangerous than guns in a house with children. Teach the kids to respect tools, not fear them.

Seriously guys. Saying "Don't use a kerosene heater because I know someone who died!" is like saying don't buy a gun or a car because they kill people. Stupid people get killed by lots of things. Don't be stupid, educate yourself and reap the rewards.

This, only I wouldn't have been so eloquent.

My gas forced hot air system is 110V and only draws about 150W to run the blower motor and control electronics. During the last extended power outage, I got it up and running off a small inverter running off my car. It was a jury-rigged hack job, but it was enough to warm the house back up. Cost less than $100 and now I have an inverter and a bigass extension cord that I can use for all kinds of things.

Harbor Freight has Inverters, too.

no, wood stove or fireplace
no electricity. no generator

Sounds to me like your only alternative is a propane heater. They have infrared ones that put out about 1000 BTUs I don't know how well it would heat the whole house though, or if they might need to be vented (so you don't all die from CO2)

no propane heaters inside a building....

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds to me like your only alternative is a propane heater. They have infrared ones that put out about 1000 BTUs I don't know how well it would heat the whole house though, or if they might need to be vented (so you don't all die from CO2)

- - - Updated - - -

Get a Honda EU2000i inverter/generator. Small footprint but they're great. They can easily power a refrigerator, an electric space heater, and a TV without missing a beat.

During extended outages when we were living in an apartment, I'd just have to unplug the refrigerator and plug it into the Keurig or microwave when needed.

They are a bit pricey, $1000, but you'll be able to get safe, electric heat. Propane heat is an option, but way too risky since you'll be introducing a CO source into your living space.

Guy has a gas stove and you all are clamoring about not having space heaters.

Please get a grip on reality and stop acting like a bunch of anti-gun million mom nut bags, because that's exactly what you all sound like. People survived raising families with fires and open flames in there homes for the first 10,000 years of human existence. Calm the **** down with the captain OSHA safety bullshit.

There are people on this board with children who have it on winter nights using a propane Buddy heater. They didn't die and were happy to have the heat.

They also make these fancy new inventions called CO alarms. They run on batteries.

Try rubbing your hands together but better yet, lots of sex. [smile] Since you live in a condo, the propane option is the best for you. A small generator would be best if you want to live without the interruption of electric service. An electrician would install a hookup to your electric panel so you can run your whole condo.

Propane heaters are not a good idea for indoor use. However, I have used one in an enclosed garage, with the bay door open, on a cold day to work on the car, etc.

And if I can remember High School chemistry, I think you mean carbon monoxide (CO). Not carbon dioxide (CO2). CO2 is a byproduct, but that's not the one that's going to kill you in your sleep.

Propane heaters are not a good idea for indoor use. However, I have used one in an enclosed garage, with the bay door open, on a cold day to work on the car, etc.

And if I can remember High School chemistry, I think you mean carbon monoxide (CO). Not carbon dioxide (CO2). CO2 is a byproduct, but that's not the one that's going to kill you in your sleep.

We use them all the time on job sites and those things put out a lot of heat. You just open a window every hours or 2 and it's fine.

Please get a grip on reality and stop acting like a bunch of anti-gun million mom nut bags, because that's exactly what you all sound like. People survived raising families with fires and open flames in there homes for the first 10,000 years of human existence. Calm the **** down with the captain OSHA safety bullshit.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to xtry51 again.

Do you have a tent? Three people sleeping in a closed tent and just the body heat and hot breath alone will warm it up pretty darn good. Throw a couple of those hand warmers in the sleeping bags and maybe talk the wife into a little bump and grind and it will get warm enough in your nylon tent to grow tomatoes

Unvented kerosene space heaters are dangerous and illegal in MA. (Ref 148 MGL 25A)
Propane space heater installations are regulated by 527 CMR 30. (Require permits, permanent gas line, oxygen depletion auto shutoff, CO detectors, etc etc)
The only viable option is to install a transfer switch that would allow your furnace to run from either line or generator.
The trustees may or may not allow usage of generator, so you would need to get an opinion prior to making any commitments.
My advice? Move to a single family house.

Unvented kerosene space heaters are dangerous and illegal in MA. (Ref 148 MGL 25A)
Propane space heater installations are regulated by 527 CMR 30. (Require permits, permanent gas line, oxygen depletion auto shutoff, CO detectors, etc etc)
The only viable option is to install a transfer switch that would allow your furnace to run from either line or generator.
The trustees may or may not allow usage of generator, so you would need to get an opinion prior to making any commitments.
My advice? Move to a single family house.

This is MA. There must be a regulation to cover that. 527 CMR 20, Use and Maintenance or Temporary Portable Space Heating Devices and Equipment Used in the Construction Industry That might be the one.

I used a propane torpedo one winter before I had the windows in. Very toasty, very noisy, and requires electricity.

My non-government sanctioned advice is to ignore the law, get a kerosene heater and don't tell anyone. Like a lot of other laws, one must put personal survival above bureaucratic nonsense.

My non-government sanctioned advice is to ignore the law, get a kerosene heater and don't tell anyone. Like a lot of other laws, one must put personal survival above bureaucratic nonsense.
But... but... they are against the LAW in Mass! They MUST be dangerous, just like those post-ban 30-round magazines.

It's for the children, after all. Don't you like children? [rofl]

I hate all three of my children. I purposely leave loaded firearms and full kerosene lanterns all over the house and they still haven't managed to shoot each other or burn the house down [smile]

.. . People survived raising families with fires and open flames in there homes for the first 10,000 years of human existence.....

No. Check again. All of those people are dead. ...

Check cabelas or basspro for anything rated to heat a tent. Should be fine to heat your kids room safely.

They make safe ventless propane heaters for indoor use, I used them in a log cabin I built for years. If you follow space to btu ratio, and output you are fine .if you're still worried get a detector. I stand by my post. You should research the products before making blanket statements- nothing personal

Hey, pal... this is NES. Don't quote that law shit here; we're all rugged individualists! [laugh]

But... but... they are against the LAW in Mass! They MUST be dangerous, just like those post-ban 30-round magazines.

It's for the children, after all. Don't you like children? [rofl]

Yeah... watch how fast an insurance claim gets denied if something DOES happen with one of those illegal heating units. And he survives to make a claim. Not to mention what the reaction of the condo association will be if a maintenance mammal comes in and happens to see one of those illegal units parked in Tony's condo.

Seriously, folks... recommending someone deliberately break the law?
jpshakehead.gif
It may or may not be an intelligent law... but you can still get in trouble anyway. If you're planning to make a stand about laws, at least make it about something you want to live or die for. And no one ever went over the top shouting "For the Kero-sun!"

Where can you even buy kerosene these days? I haven;t seen it for sale anywhere in a long time. I believe the Mr Heater Buddy can be used indoors.

Lowes or Home Depot. 1gallon or 5gallon pails

- - - Updated - - -

Where can you even buy kerosene these days? I haven;t seen it for sale anywhere in a long time. I believe the Mr Heater Buddy can be used indoors.

Lowes or Home Depot. 1gallon or 5gallon pails

Hey, pal... this is NES. Don't quote that law shit here; we're all rugged individualists! [laugh]

Yeah... watch how fast an insurance claim gets denied if something DOES happen with one of those illegal heating units. And he survives to make a claim. Not to mention what the reaction of the condo association will be if a maintenance mammal comes in and happens to see one of those illegal units parked in Tony's condo.

Seriously, folks... recommending someone deliberately break the law?
jpshakehead.gif
It may or may not be an intelligent law... but you can still get in trouble anyway. If you're planning to make a stand about laws, at least make it about something you want to live or die for. And no one ever went over the top shouting "For the Kero-sun!"

I don't live in MA, so it's perfectly legal for me to buy and use a kero heater. My point was that just because Mass says something is illegal doesn't make it dangerous. Kerosene heaters are used all over Japan for primary heat, and I'm not hearing of mass casualties due to CO poisoning or fires. And they are legal in 48 of our 57 states :)

As far as the OP using it in his condo, he's a big boy and can understand and deal with his state's laws, I'm sure.

I don't live in MA, so it's perfectly legal for me to buy and use a kero heater. My point was that just because Mass says something is illegal doesn't make it dangerous. Kerosene heaters are used all over Japan for primary heat, and I'm not hearing of mass casualties due to CO poisoning or fires. And they are legal in 48 of our 57 states :)

Japanese houses are made of paper walls! CO2 will bleed through the walls. [smile]

Anyone got a match?

2de6f797.jpg

Back
Top Bottom