What's the point of an enhanced end plate for an AR?

Snora

NES Member
It's Friday, I'm shopping for parts for a new build and I come across this for the first time:

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 5.07.44 PM.png

I know there's some tacticool / aesthetic decision here, but seems like a very complicated way of reinventing what was otherwise a simple, affordable, and functional design. Does anyone here run one? And why?

Seems like an answer in search of a question. Took me a bit to figure out where it even went :) but it looks like it might take care of locking the castle nut so you don't have to stake it ... staking it has worked for decades and isn't difficult to do right. I'd be a hard pass on this one ... but some may like that zero anodizing is harmed in the install :)

Personal tastes are personal.

Also saw this one which has a mechanism to keep the nut from backing out. Interesting solution to a problem I'm not sure we have. I don't shoot as much as some guys here, but I wonder how often even a castle nut that isn't staked is going to back out.

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 5.37.01 PM.png

Also saw this one which has a mechanism to keep the nut from backing out. Interesting solution to a problem I'm not sure we have. I don't shoot as much as some guys here, but I wonder how often even a castle nut that isn't staked is going to back out.

View attachment 805481
$50! Lololololol

View attachment 805481
That looks like the tool I use to remove the cap to get to the spring on my mountain bike's suspension fork 🤣

First AR build I ever did I put red locktite on the castle nut instead of staking it. I ran it that way for several thousand rounds before I took it apart. Castle nut never moved then I added a fancy QD end plate and staked the castle nut on reassembly.

It's Friday, I'm shopping for parts for a new build and I come across this for the first time:

View attachment 805468

I know there's some tacticool / aesthetic decision here, but seems like a very complicated way of reinventing what was otherwise a simple, affordable, and functional design. Does anyone here run one? And why?

Because there are people who need to buy expensive parts just to show the poors where they stand.

@SOTAR just did a video on these

View: https://youtu.be/LJ979IVAdNw?si=IRLTJmHaOVgRgz84
(Not sure these ones ratchet, but the idea is the same)
Edit: just watched the video for the one in the OP. It is actually worse. They're just saying this one doesn't need to be staked. No info on why. Maybe because there's more thread area, creating more fiction? Maybe the torque deforms the castle nut? Maybe because it looks cool for folks who won't shoot a lot?

Last edited:

View attachment 805481
I've never staked one and none of them have backed off. Even if it did it's not very hard to tighten it back down.

View attachment 805481
Jezus really, Maybe under high use machine gun use your castle nuts might come loose?
Tighten the f***ing thing.
My bottom of the tier parts build took 6k rounds of steel case crap with minimum maintenance and the cheezy parts stayed together?

Back
Top Bottom