• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your favorite pocket folder?

greencobra

NES Member
always curious what other people think is their favorite pocket folder. what do you carry. an espada, mr. @T-Unit? teasing, but i actually know a couple of guys, besides yourself, that are hot for one. they don't have one yet. only one would carry it daily though.

i've never subscribed to the knife of the month club. of course i own dozens of knives like most of you. damn addictive, right? but i carry only one daily as my main go to. i'm predictable, so like glock for my daily pistol carry, i carry a spyderco delica. i've had one in my pocket daily for the good part of over 35 years. not the same one, i've lost at least 2 over the years. i've given several dozen out as gifts. i just posted several weeks ago of my latest spyderco. it's a full serrated delica. never owned a spyderedge blade before except i do have a little spyderco ladybug 3 salt on my keychain. 1.88" full serrated hawkbill H1 blade. very useful believe it or not. benchmade and victorinox are two other daily drivers. i admit to only having one benchmade, a mini grip modified sheepsfoot. super knife. and always have at least one SAK on me at all times. lately i've been carrying a tec-knives otf. i've been known to carry 3 or 4 knives at a giver time.

what about you guys? what's your favorite folder and what do you carry daily. do you switch them out? i know i'm not the only one who carries multiples. i bet this could turn into an interesting thread, let's see.

I have a Ladybug H1 hawkbill in SE on my keychain, too. Toxic green grips, it was a LE grp buy on the Usual Suspects Network (USN) forum

My most frequently carried is a Spyderco Dragonfly with a burnt orange FRN grip. Keeps a razor edge and is light as a feather

I mean, I'm not going to carry the Espada often or at all, it's simply a bucket list knife.

Don't carry a knife everyday, those I do I usually want more than just a knife and my Victorinox is slim enough it gets brought most and IMO the Victorinox multi-tools have the best feel when using the knife, my Sog multi-tool with the pliers the knife is in the worst location, uncomfortable to use, basically useless.

For just a blade, nothing more, I would probably bring the CS Luzon or Broken Skull for any concerns about social work, but if that wasn't an issue I really find myself liking Opinel. The ring lock isn't strong, but it's not like I'd be riding it hard and what the Opinel lacks in strength it makes up for in extreme lightweight, classic looks, and quality feel. I have the 7 and the 12, the 7 is a good size, but a bit small for me, the 12 is too big usually, so I'm thinking of getting the 9 or 10 probably in stainless. The carbon blades would likely rust fast in a pocket.

Have to locate it again but a small thin utility blade folder that I grabbed at Home Depot. Doubled as a money clip (on the rare occasion I have money 🤣).

Right now it's one of these as I'm working on the house a lot lately.

2012_xlarge_44__08541.1445543364.jpg

I have so many expensive knives from Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT, etc, and many more mid tier blades from Civivi, Kizer, CJRB, Vosteed etc, I try to rotate through them all, and yet, I find myself more often than not pocketing and fidgiting with a sup $50 Byrd Tern. I bought it for a vacation in the UK this summer and fell in love with its super slicey blade and extra fidgety light slipjoint-that-is-totally-finger-flickable action.

i had a leek for a while...a few weeks. i thought the blade was too thin, i retired it.

i took to a scallion. the blade was just a bit shorter and not as "bendy" as the leek. carried it as a companion knife to my delica in work for 15 years. like most kershaws, it sharpens scary sharp. i think it's 420, i might be wrong. still have it, the little scallion. i've sent it back for a factory re-sharpen twice cause i lost the factory bevel over the years. still reach for it now and then. i like the patina it took on.
My most frequently carried is a Spyderco Dragonfly with a burnt orange FRN grip.
sus410 steel? i have a meerkat and delica with the burnt orange scales. they reserved the burnt orange for sus410. yeah, they are sharp. edge retention is very good also.

zt 0450cf

End thread

ETA: I’m a big knife guy. This is my daily for the past few years.
That’s a great EDC, I love how lightweight it is. That is my “Inside the office” carry.

My ”outside the office” carry is a 0308.

Attachments

• B4C75384-449C-432E-87F5-9E754CFEC4DE.jpeg
    B4C75384-449C-432E-87F5-9E754CFEC4DE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
i had a leek for a while...a few weeks. i thought the blade was too thin, i retired it.

i took to a scallion. the blade was just a bit shorter and not as "bendy" as the leek. carried it as a companion knife to my delica in work for 15 years. like most kershaws, it sharpens scary sharp. i think it's 420, i might be wrong. still have it, the little scallion. i've sent it back for a factory re-sharpen twice cause i lost the factory bevel over the years. still reach for it now and then. i like the patina it took on.

sus410 steel? i have a meerkat and delica with the burnt orange scales. they reserved the burnt orange for sus410. yeah, they are sharp. edge retention is very good also.
The Dragonfly is VG10 from Seki City Japan. These are EDC and available everywhere, not the special runs

Discontinued.
I'll check and see how many I have left. If it's more than one I might part with one.

They were around $40 @ the time and I liked it so much I bought a bunch. Others liked them as well so I think I'm down to 1.
There are a couple on E-bay for $300 & $350. 🤣 on the upside those prices include shipping... so theres that. 🤣
Can’t find this in the catalog???

Last edited:
Discontinued.
I'll check and see how many I have left. If it's more than one I might part with one.

They were around $40 @ the time and I liked it so much I bought a bunch. Others liked them as well so I think I'm down to 1.
There are a couple on E-bay for $300 & $350. 🤣 on the upside those prices include shipping... so theres that. 🤣
What description can you give?
I might like to buy one, if you have surplus.

i've taken to auto openers recently, within this past year. i've posted about this knife before, the boker kalashnikov. it's been out for several years but it still gets a lot of chatter. nothing special, inexpensive, aus8 blade. holy shit, out of the box sharp as all hell. i picked it up on sale, i think from smkw, for 39 bucks. but the price is climbing. several blade styles as well as handle colors. i got the stone washed drop point w/black scales. those are just painted aluminum and the paint wears fast off the hot spots. i use it a lot, mainly to dispatch amazon boxes for the trash. another thing clipped to a cargo pocket. usually comes out to play when i don't want to mess up a better blade. it was a steak knife not long ago. real easy clean up cause there's not many closed spaces besides the pivot area. i find it useful.

photo below is my knife but not MY knife, just a generic photo

1693213111560.png

I've got several that reside on top of my dresser to be used for daily carry.

My work pants I always keep my Benchmade (not sure the model) that I got as a retirement gift from my troops. That's my special knife, and I make sure to carry that as much as possible. I've never really had an expensive knife before, and my guys asked that I not just stick it in a drawer but actually use it.

A Boker Kalashnikov auto knife or a CRKT Mt. Ranier is usually clipped in the pocket of my non work pants. I like the CRKT because it isn't overly large or bulky, and does everything I need a knife to do. The Boker I use because I think switchblades are just cool.

My favorite knives though by far are, in order, my Buck 112, Schrade LB-7 and Buck 110. Only "problem" with these is that they don't have a pocket clip, and I'm not used to a knife free balling in the pocket any more. I usually wear them on my belt, either in the regular sheath or in one of several horizontal sheaths I have. I just like the "old school cool" factor of these non tactical OG knives. I find the 112 to fit my hand and uses much more than the 110 sized knives. I just wish Schrade had a 112 sized folder, I don't know what it is, but my old LB-7 just seems to be "better" than my Buck. Of course, all of these knives are old enough to drink - but I've been eyeballing the "new" Buck 110 Auto.

Back
Top Bottom