Where can't I concealed carry in MA ? Part Deux

Hi -

I Just moved to Ma and just got my LTC.

Reading through the 19 page thread that came up via search, my brain started to gloss over

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/18800-Where-can-t-I-concealed-carry-in-MA

I was thinking, it might be worth while to start a fresh thread so others, like myself won't get lost in the weeds.

From my reading retention, I gathered I can't LTC in the following places.

1. All Federal and/or municipal buildings (including court houses).
2. Any School property without special written permission from the school (including OC spray)
3. On a waterway within 500 feet of Logan.
4. National Parks where posted.

Other than the specifically stated bans on certain knives, like double edged, auto's, schools, there seems to be no consensus on if a LTC preempts and size or other restrictions

Are there any errors or omissions?

Thanks in advance

The laws on where you can/can't carry haven't changed since 1998 (at least), so even old threads on here are still valid.

MGL ONLY prohibits carry on school property (elementary, secondary and college levels), whether they are private or public schools.

Federal Building prohibition is Federal law, not state law and applies everywhere.

Waterways within 500' of Logan is also illegal. I believe that is in a CMR.

That's it.

Some buildings ban guns/knives/sharp wit but they aren't codified in MGL.

The laws on where you can/can't carry haven't changed since 1998 (at least), so even old threads on here are still valid.
Waterways within 500' of Logan is also illegal. I believe that is in a CMR.

That's it.
OK Len, you know I make sport of arguing technicalities with you. You missed one.

If you are going to include CMRs, you need to include 740 CMR 30.04 which prohibits carry of loaded and operational firearms on Logan airport property by all except the usual special people (LEO, military, etc.).

http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawlib/700-799cmr/740cmr30.pdf

The penalty is the "maximum fine the authority is allowed to assess" and, as such, is not a firearms crime with a possible jail/prison sentence, and is (unlike almost all MGL gun law violations) not a statutory lifetime disqualifier.

Some buildings ban guns/knives/sharp wit but they aren't codified in MGL.
Mentioned many other places but, unlike some other states, violation of a sign or policy of a private business is not a crime under MGL. It's legally in the same category as entering while in violation of a dress code - it becomes a crime (trespass) if you refuse to leave when ordered by someone with dominion over the property.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom