Where is the law on high cap mags (MA)?

I'm going back and forth with a guy on another forum who's living in MA but carrying daily with 14rd mags he bought out of state. I'm trying to convince him he can't but as you know an LTC-A says "Large Capacity" so he's convinced he can, I looked up the law on the MGL site and can't find anything saying you can't. Same with following the links from GOAL. Does anyone know where in the law that is? Like a Chapter and Section #?

More specifically.

Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

MGL C. 140 S. 131M

"Large Capacity Feeding Devices" should be defined in MGL C. 140 S. 121

Related question... When I moved here, I brought my Springfield xd45, which came with 13 round mags. Since the gun didn't exist before 96, what is the deal on the mags? Since it is no Mass compliant, I obviously ciuldnt buy it here...

Related question... When I moved here, I brought my Springfield xd45, which came with 13 round mags. Since the gun didn't exist before 96, what is the deal on the mags? Since it is no Mass compliant, I obviously ciuldnt buy it here...

They're obviously post-ban, and basically felonies in MA. Either relocate the mags out of the state or somehow block them in a permanent fashion so they only hold 10 rounds, assuming you want to make them legal, of course.

-Mike

The magazines are illegal for you to possess in MA, and it is a felony. Get rid of them out of state ASAP.

Can't buy it there but still legal to own, I've read of a lot of people and the nightmares of finding 10rd mags for XDs. Still can't have the 13rd ones though.

Even if some how you avoided the fine and jail time I believe you'd never see another LTC for as long as you live in MA.

Others please correct me if I'm wrong.

Even if some how you avoided the fine and jail time I believe you'd never see another LTC for as long as you live in MA.

Worse than that. It is a felony conviction --> federal prohibition for life.

It depends on what you mean by that. If you mean the charges got dropped, or you were shown to be "not guilty", then at least statutorily you would not be disqualified. Then at that point it might be a suitability issue, which as you are aware of, is up to the whims of the issuing authority.

On the other hand if you got convicted but got a watered down sentence, you would still become a federally prohibited person, which sucks.

Chances are though anyone facing an AWB conviction in MA is in for a world of crap otherwise. Most of the time when someone is charged with it its not the only thing they are being charged with. Whether or not your attorney can get the AWB charge dumped or not all depends on the hand of cards hes playing with. If you are pleading out even if the AWB charge is dropped you'd probably get screwed by some other felony anyways.

-Mike

If you have to worry about shooting an XD in MA you might want to find a different club to shoot at. The only time I've ever heard that kind of BS (wrt handgun compliance) is when there are lots of ignorant fudds around.

-Mike

I'd be really careful about where you store the mags if you are choosing to keep them and also where you shoot the gun. I would not put it past sheep at MA clubs, range officers, whoever to rat you out. Some get jealous when they see a toy they can't have. What I'm saying is I'd stay out of MA when shooting the thing. As for storing it at home, you play the odds. Odds are you won't get "caught" but who knows, your relying on all those self proclaimed pro 2A MassCops to "look the other way"... Would not bet my freedom on it.

Why hide the gun? There's nothing illegal about it. You just need to get compliant mags which are available online cheap enough.

I was thinking of the XDm 9 which, to my knowledge, does not have 10 rd mags for it.

People have "made" 10 round "blocked" XDm mags. So just because it's an XDm doesn't mean it's using an "illegal" mag.

-Mike

Is there a capacity limit in Boston (regardless of being preban)? The reason I ask, a gentleman at Four Seasons had mentioned he wasn't sure if you possess a pre-ban mag in Boston. Obviously there's an AR ban, but I don't recall it covering pistols (I'll go re-read it now, before I get flamed for overlooking it).

Last edited:
Is there a capacity limit in Boston (regardless of being preban)? The reason I ask, a gentleman at Four Seasons had mentioned he wasn't sure if you possess a pre-ban mag in Boston. Obviously there's an AR ban, but I don't recall it covering pistols (I'll go re-read it now, before I get flamed for overlooking it).

No rifle mags >10 rds regardless of when mfd. Law was put on the books as the Boston Ban in 1989.

Yup. The AWB link in my sigline has links to people being investigated, charged, convicted and imprisoned for AWB violations.

Back
Top Bottom