Where is your guns safe?

I have a 24 gun Stack On safe being delivered soon. I am just wondering where you keep yours, basement, 1st or 2nd floor? It weighs about 450 lbs and was thinking of keeping it on the 2nd floor.

Yeah, on the 2nd floor. A carpenter friend told me place it on an outside wall and if I could, on the other side of the wall where the bath tub is located. I guess the flooring is reinforced there???? So that's where I was putting it anyway, been in the same location for over 20 years with no ill effects. It's about 700 lbs empty.

I have a 24 gun Stack On safe being delivered soon. I am just wondering where you keep yours, basement, 1st or 2nd floor? It weighs about 450 lbs and was thinking of keeping it on the 2nd floor.
Beyond the fact that there are a thousand plus different house floor plans (each with their own unique possibilities), I am generally a 2nd story gun safe kind of guy. The reason for that is: 1) basement safes will sooner or later cause problems with most guns no matter how diligently you try to protect them... and, 2) a large 1st floor gun safe (or two or three) is typically hard to conceal long-term from unwelcome prying eyes. As long as the stairs and the 2nd story floor can support it (or them), that has always been my preference.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of 2nd floor against the wall where the garage is located. I have a quote of $475 for a safe company to move the safe from my garage to the spot. I don't really want to try this myself.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of 2nd floor against the wall where the garage is located. I have a quote of $475 for a safe company to move the safe from my garage to the spot. I don't really want to try this myself.

seems a bit pricey....cant bribe a few buddies with a meal and some beers?

Mine is in a closet that wasnt really used. Fits like a glove. Didnt want it in the basement and my wife works out of the house so i needed a place her clients couldnt see it. We have zero room in the bedroom and would rather not have it taking up floor space. So closet fit the bill and is working out great.

If your going to do lighting check out http://www.litetechauto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LED_Safe the rolling trigger was a fail for my safe, but other than that it works great

seems a bit pricey....cant bribe a few buddies with a meal and some beers?

I don't think I have enough friends. Also in 2010 I was helping a coworker move a hot tub he bought and I ripped the bicep tendon off of my forearm. Don't want to do that again.

Most of them come apart or you can at least take the door off. They aren't as bad to move as you think. Call a few friends and call them pussies until the thing is in the right spot.

Last edited:
Mine is in a closet that wasnt really used. Fits like a glove. Didnt want it in the basement and my wife works out of the house so i needed a place her clients couldnt see it. We have zero room in the bedroom and would rather not have it taking up floor space. So closet fit the bill and is working out great.

If your going to do lighting check out http://www.litetechauto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LED_Safe the rolling trigger was a fail for my safe, but other than that it works great

I have an nice gun cabinet with a glass door now. I will put the safe in that position so if won't be taking up anymore space than that one. All of closets are full.

I paid professionals to get mine up stairs. They had the equipment and experience to not damage anything. And if they put it through the wall somehow, well, they pay for the repair. Find regular movers, not safe guys. 450 lbs is reasonable for them and you may get the price to 300.

I paid professionals to get mine up stairs. They had the equipment and experience to not damage anything. And if they put it through the wall somehow, well, they pay for the repair. Find regular movers, not safe guys. 450 lbs is reasonable for them and you may get the price to 300.

I have a friend who owns a moving company with his family I will give him a call. I just figure safe guys probably have done it many times and would know what they are doing.

Wherever you put it bolt it down. Don't let the weight fool you. Back in the day a gun safe was stolen from a Natick house while the owner was on vacation. Based on footprints and tire tracks the PD figured it was six guys who carried it out the front door and onto a truck that was backed up onto the front yard. In the end they recovered the safe and all but 2 firearms. The recovered firearms were destroyed when they cut open the safe.

I don't have a safe. Curious when I need one. The guns I own are all easily replaceable, nothing rare or hard to find. How many guns did you have before you got a safe?

I don't have a safe. Curious when I need one. The guns I own are all easily replaceable, nothing rare or hard to find. How many guns did you have before you got a safe?
I don't know where you live, but in MA if you lose or have a gun stolen from you more than once your LTC can be yanked.

I got mine in the basement with 3 rechargeable dehumidifiers inside and I run a dehumidifier in my basement during the summer. Never gets above 55-60%. No issues so far after 2 years.

I had 9 guns before I got a safe, mainly because I was living with my dad and knew I would be moving out and buying a house soon so.

Had mine locked up in the closet with trigger locks. Got mysafe when my two young nieces moved in with us. More a matter of keeping them(the kids) from being able to get to them.

I got mine in the basement with 3 rechargeable dehumidifiers inside and I run a dehumidifier in my basement during the summer. Never gets above 55-60%. No issues so far after 2 years.

I had 9 guns before I got a safe, mainly because I was living with my dad and knew I would be moving out and buying a house soon so.

Had mine locked up in the closet with trigger locks. Got mysafe when my two young nieces moved in with us. More a matter of keeping them(the kids) from being able to get to them.

thanks guys, yeah, our kids are still really little but I plan to get one within a couple years. Not really worried about theft where we live.

I don't know where you live, but in MA if you lose or have a gun stolen from you more than once your LTC can be yanked.

There is no standard on this. Some depts will yank on more than nonce; others will treat you as a victim rather than a criminal as long as safe storage laws were followed.

What is the point of a safe if you're going to hang so many cool guns on the wall?

Safes are both full. So I hardened the whole room to hold the overflow.
Solid door with 3 class 3 locks mounted on 5 security hinges welded to a 2" angle iron frame. Wall studs are 8" on center, walls are 3/4" plywood glued and screwed every 8"

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

I am using my hotel points and getting it for free.

Last edited:
I don't think I have enough friends. Also in 2010 I was helping a coworker move a hot tub he bought and I ripped the bicep tendon off of my forearm. Don't want to do that again.

1st floor for me as stairs won't support safe's 420 lbs + my 200 + 2-3 other 200 pounders. basement could be trouble with moisture.

btw, I ripped my bicep tendon off one arming a sofa bed, like an idiot. what did you do for it? I understand that surgery can repair it. mine causes no pain and I can do almost anything with it. it just looks looks a bit odd if you look carefully.

Back
Top Bottom