Where is your guns safe?

I have a 10 gun security cabinet and I was wondering if I should even bother anchoring to the wall cuz it is so light and if someone wants to they can just yank it off the wall. What do you guys do with your cabinets ?

Last edited:
I have a 10 gun security cabinet and I was wondering if I should even bother anchoring to the wall cuz it is so light and if someone wants to they can just yank it off the wall. What do you guys do with your cabinets ?
That is exactly why you do anchor it (and anchor it well!!!). [wink]

I wouldn't even bother anchoring a security cabinet. A cabinet may make you legal as far as storage goes and keep out a curious child but isn't going to deter a thief. A pry bar would get you in almost as fast as a key.

I wouldn't even bother anchoring a security cabinet. A cabinet may make you legal as far as storage goes and keep out a curious child but isn't going to deter a thief. A pry bar would get you in almost as fast as a key.

yup...as long as they have one with them...better off getting a home security system and a dog

Any recommendations on wireless door and window alarms ? I wouldn't be able to afford a security system (if you meant ADT or something similar).

Any recommendations on wireless door and window alarms ? I wouldn't be able to afford a security system (if you meant ADT or something similar).

ADT is only like $50 a month, and if you can negotiate (and get a referral) install is anywhere from free up to the moon in price. I just get need sensors every once in while when I save the dough.

I have one sensor right on the security cabinet door, and the cabinet bolted into the wall and floor. If they pry to door, the alarm goes off, if they try and rip it from the wall, the alarm goes off, and if they were to get it off the wall, as soon as they remove the safe from the house (it's heavy with all that ammo, lol) the alarm goes off.

Cabinet keeps the kids out, and me MA legal. The sensor makes me feel secure and know if one of my kids starts snooping around. The added bonus is, I can just open the safe door from our bedroom to trip the alarm if something is going on I want to stop. (Which shouldn't happen without the alarm going off to begin with, but...)

Look into Simplisafe. I have it and love it. No contract if you don't want it. Can just be a local alarm if you want. I pay and get emails/texts when alarms go off. The calls come quick too. 15 seconds or so before they call after an alarm goes off.

... and a $14.99 HF 4" grinder ($11.99 w/coupon) can get into any RSC classified gun "safe" in 12 minutes or less... [thinking]

12 mins is a long time if you have the proper (imo) security layers, IE: an alarm that alerts the police.

Look into Simplisafe. I have it and love it. No contract if you don't want it. Can just be a local alarm if you want. I pay and get emails/texts when alarms go off. The calls come quick too. 15 seconds or so before they call after an alarm goes off.

this sounds like a good option...could probably get a good system from a local security system guy too...tell them you want it installed with the intention of monitoring it later on down the line...so install all the hardware necessary to be monitored and then just not have it monitored

the moving quotes seem insane to me. guy at work just had a 1200lb cannon moved to his second floor for 175$.

12 mins is a long time if you have the proper (imo) security layers, IE: an alarm that alerts the police.
Sorry, I was just making the point that those who think a $500-$1,000 gun safe buys you a whole lot more protection than a properly anchored (and ideally hidden) $100 gun cabinet are fooling themselves. You are absolutely right about layers... stealth, cameras, alarms, decoys, insurance, etc.

Sorry, I was just making the point that those who think a $500-$1,000 gun safe buys you a whole lot more protection than a properly anchored (and ideally hidden) $100 gun cabinet are fooling themselves. You are absolutely right about layers... stealth, cameras, alarms, decoys, insurance, etc.

^^^key word right there

12 mins is a long time if you have the proper (imo) security layers...

You are absolutely right about layers... stealth, cameras, alarms, decoys, insurance, etc.

Exactly why I hardened the whole room (see posts 21&23 of this thread) I'm hoping that alarm will bring a response before they even get to the safes. Cameras will get their images in any event.

Yeah, on the 2nd floor. A carpenter friend told me place it on an outside wall and if I could, on the other side of the wall where the bath tub is located. I guess the flooring is reinforced there???? So that's where I was putting it anyway, been in the same location for over 20 years with no ill effects. It's about 700 lbs empty.

You always want to put something heavy like that over a bearing wall.

Safes are both full. So I hardened the whole room to hold the overflow.
Solid door with 3 class 3 locks mounted on 5 security hinges welded to a 2" angle iron frame. Wall studs are 8" on center, walls are 3/4" plywood glued and screwed every 8"

View attachment 127379

View attachment 127380

Unless you have concrete walls, I can cut through that wall in seconds with a cordless saw.

Themunsters11.jpg

Pretty sure my wife wouldn't believe me when I said ti was for the guns if I tried putting a camera in the bed room, lmao

Unless you have concrete walls, I can cut through that wall in seconds with a cordless saw.

Right up until you run into the surprises between the studs that I am not going to discuss on an open forum.
As we've pointed out here, nothing is impenetrable, it is just another layer.

Personally I think it's more about the total solution than just if it's a safe or cabinet. I've seen the remains of a recovered stolen safe.

I used a good solid security cab. Lag bolted to the bearing wall in the basement. 3/8 bolts, be sure to drill first. This is inside an "office", walls are plywood under drywall, door is solid with bolt. No windows and the basement door is also solid w/bolt. House doors are also solid w/bolt. Windows are all double-pain (the weakest part). But the topper is the dead-end road (no reason anyone should be driving by) and neighbors who keep an eye on the neighborhood....and have guns. And then I moved out of NH.

Back
Top Bottom