Which .40 s&w would you buy?

I am selling my wheelgun and I want to buy A .40 cal, and I am trying to decide between a couple of models. I like the Beretta 96. I already own a 92 and I love it. A M&P .40. Always liked the look of them. Or a Sig 229, because of their reputation. Which one would you suggest?

Thanks, Anthony

I've recently become a fan of the Sig, in .40 caliber.
If I could have only one, it would be the P229.
Since that is not possible, I have the P239, P229, and P226.[smile]
My P226 is the stainless one. It is large and heavy and a great range gun but I'd hate to have to pack that much weight for CCW.
The P229 continues to annoy me by shooting just as well as the P226 for which I paid twice as much.
The P229 is small and light enough to carry easily. Mine went back to the factory for rebuild/refinish before I bought it and has a wonderfully smooth trigger, both double and single action.
I don't think that you could find a better gun than the Sig P229, and very few that would equal it.

I bought a Glock 22 (full size .40) a number of months and it has been very reliable. Although I was growing dissatisfied with it because I couldn't seem to be very accurate with it. I had originally wanted an M&P in .40 but they weren't out yet - so recently when they became available I bought the M&P.
I like the M&P and prefer it over the Glock for ergonomics - but I think the Glock is just a little bit easier to clean and service. I had been more accurate with the M&P (right out of the box - with MA 10 pound trigger) - but I recently put one of those progressive DPS recoil springs into the Glock - and I have gotten much more accurate with it. I am more accurate with the Glock now than I am with the M&P. I still dont like the sights on the Glock much though.

I think to really get the most out the guns the Glock needs the recoil spring - and a set of 3 dot sights - and the M&P needs a better trigger pull - and possibly the recoil spring.

The Sig 229 in .40SW is one of the best all around pistols available. You can shoot at the range, CCW, and use it for home defense with the option of a rail mounted light. The reliability is great, ergonomics excellent, easy to clean and maintain, and very accurate. Buy one.

My vote goes to the Sig P229. As I understand it, this pistol was designed for the .40S&W. Well-made, rugged, and plenty accurate.

Another vote for the 229 .40. Another new contender might be the M&P .40... also a great gun.

My vote the 229 great and proven gun. The MP to new and still some problems with magizines falling out while shooting. The 96 is a good weapon to. Just my 2 cents.

I would vote for the P229, but I would try out the SA trigger in the store
before you buy it. Some of the P229s made in recent years have
terrible, too heavy SA triggers. (like, 5+ pounds of stiffness)

Of course I have some bias... part of my problem is I own two P228's, and both of them have
better SA triggers than my P229 does. One of these days I will have a good gunsmith work some magic on it.

As far as everything else goes, the P229 is robust and hard to beat with regards to accuracy. Y
ou can also get preban hicaps (12 rounds) for them if you look hard enough... which is something that
you can't really do with an M+P. (I like the M+P too, problem is if you want to stay within the law in
MA you're stuck with 10 round magazines. The "free world" can have 14 rounders for an M+P. )

On the other hand, if you -really- like your Beretta, there isn't anything
wrong with the 96, either.

-Mike

Single action single action single action!
I loved my old Para P10, small reliable to the point of boardom,
and .40 cal. I currently am building a 1911 commander in .40.

Of course I have some bias... part of my problem is I own two P228's, and both of them have
better SA triggers than my P229 does. One of these days I will have a good gunsmith work some magic on it.

Mike- we should compare our collections someday as we seem to have the same Sigs! I also have 2 228s as well as a 229 in .40. I must say all three of these have damn good SA pulls. I love the 228 and bought another just so I could shoot the piss out of one and still have another!

Back on topic. The 229 is a great gun, but check the trigger if you can first- true with any gun if you can. 12 rnd mags are $$$ when you can find them so unless you carry with it the neutered mags do just fine.

I had a Sig 229, great gun. I vote for that. Some people still question my sanity for actually selling that gun, but I had my reasons. [laugh]

I vote for a Sig 229 in 40S&W as it is the most accurate and the most fun to shoot. I especially like to shoot it with the 357Sig barrel in it. It is like watching a flame thrower! :)

I don't care for Sigs or M+P's, so I'd say go for the Beretta. That said, I like the HK USP .40 best of any semi-auto I've ever fired. Too bad they're banned now (mine's 13 years old).

H&Ks are NOT BANNED! Dealers can't sell new ones, that's all. I've owned mine for ~5-6 years and I still see them in a couple of shops. You do pay a lot more than in a free state, but that's to be expected in MA! [rolleyes]

H&Ks are NOT BANNED! Dealers can't sell new ones, that's all. I've owned mine for ~5-6 years and I still see them in a couple of shops. You do pay a lot more than in a free state, but that's to be expected in MA! [rolleyes]

I know the 2000 models are on the list, but I was pretty sure the USP was banned.

The only .40 I own is a Glock 22, if I were shopping for another I would look at the Sig over the M&P with my only reason being proven reliability, if the M&P proves itself as time goes on than add it to the list. Also if all else fails one of each can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom