Which is a better house gun?

And if your burglar is deaf? [pot]

Then you can just sneak up on him and f*** with him, tapping him on the shoulder then hiding...

are we talking fully deaf or just hearing aid deaf? We can have some serious fun if it's hearing aid deaf

They'll hear it anyway, and still poop in their pants.

If he's deaf, one could always wait till he goes upstairs and really f*** with him, throwing baseballs at him from a lower staircase....
....it's not like he can hear you, so you can really take your time with your wind up

Imagine being deaf in a strange house and suddenly taking a baseball off the jaw hahahaha

A lot of shotgun recommendations.. not surprising.

Here's an interesting question. I've got a twelve-gauge pump that I got used, but it's a left-handed model. I'm a righty. I've never fired it. What should I be expecting regarding additional noise, or crap flying in my face?

Here's an interesting question. I've got a twelve-gauge pump that I got used, but it's a left-handed model. I'm a righty. I've never fired it. What should I be expecting regarding additional noise, or crap flying in my face?

The only difference will be that, if you shoot it righty, the empty shells will be ejected across your face. Based on a quick experiment, my RH 870 bounced a shell off the crook of my right elbow when gripped lefty. This experiment, however, was conducted: with a loaded (and therefor heavy) shotshell, and I only pulled the foreend about half as hard as I would ordinarily (weak hand and whatnot)

The only difference will be that, if you shoot it righty, the empty shells will be ejected across your face. Based on a quick experiment, my RH 870 bounced a shell off the crook of my right elbow when gripped lefty. This experiment, however, was conducted: with a loaded (and therefor heavy) shotshell, and I only pulled the foreend about half as hard as I would ordinarily (weak hand and whatnot)

No biggie. I was more concerned about whether or not any hot gasses escape from the ejection port. I'd hate to scald the crap out of my forearm.

No biggie. I was more concerned about whether or not any hot gasses escape from the ejection port. I'd hate to scald the crap out of my forearm.

I've shot my 870 (as well as other RH long guns) lefty, and I don't remember getting any/too much gas in the face with any of them. It might be worse if you shoot it one-handed (and let the action pop itself open), but if you don't open the action until the shot goes off, you should be all set.

That being said....try it out!

Sell it and get a right-handed model. Why take the risk?

I guess it depends on how quickly the neighbors can duck. I'd go for the 12 gauge. There are some ammo manufacturers that have introduced jacketed rubber bullets that expand even when the hollow nosed ogive would have filled with drywall. I've got no personal experience with them, so I can't really say how effective they are. I agree with the others who say to pick what you shoot best under stress. BTW, it's also got to be locked up or "under your control" in MA. Since a locked weapon is a good way to get you're @ss kicked (or worse) by an intruder, you've got to have the weapon ready quickly and stored safely. This can present a challenge if you are sleeping, waking up foggy, and trying to find your defensive firearm in the dark. Since I don't really like to wear a holster to bed (the wife might object,) under the mattress seems like it's arguably under my control... since someone would have to wake me up to get to it. For me, it's my 9, soon to be a 12 gauge tactical mossberg with an adjustable stock, short barrel, and flashlight.

And if your burglar is deaf? [pot]

[laugh2]

If he is deaf and didn't hear your barking dog, or the awesomeness of your racking shotgun, I say, make him a sammich, pour him a coke, and give him 20 bucks for havin balls. OR.....

Jump in front of him with a menacing look on your face and in sign language spell out " Cha-chick" while pointing at your shotgun. He will sign back "Oh Shit!" and run away

If he is deaf and didn't hear your barking dog, or the awesomeness of your racking shotgun, I say, make him a sammich, pour him a coke, and give him 20 bucks for havin balls. OR.....

Jump in front of him with a menacing look on your face and in sign language spell out " Cha-chick" while pointing at your shotgun. He will sign back "Oh Shit!" and run away

Damn if I didn't manage to derail an entire thread with one smartass comment. Wow.

trainwreck1.gif

[laugh2]

hahahahahahahahaha

I actually picked up some of the Winchester defensive ammo - 3 00 pellets and a 1 oz slug. Yeah, it sounds sort of iffy, but I'm pretty sure that it'll still put a few giant holes in any home intruder.

That said, I never want to have to test that.

Are you talking about the PDX1? I've shot about 50 rounds of the stuff, and I like it. The slug itself is pretty accurate out of my 870. The 3 00 bucks do seem to serve the purpose of a shot compensator. At what would be normal HD distances, it gives you about 2-3" from your slug.

Does the addition of a laser tilt the pistol vs. shotgun argument at all?

I have a sig 226 with the Sig 900L laser/light combo.

Given the stress of such an occasion, the layout of my house and the speed to access the pistol... seems like that with a red dot for the ol' "point and shoot" makes the most sense.

Well, that and I don't own a shotgun... and when I do get one it will likely be a Beretta semi-auto... and thus no awesome fear striking sound emanating from the pump action.

I keep one of my 1911's beside my bed for HD because 1. I know this gun will go bang every time I pull the trigger( I trust it big time) 2. I have trained the most with this gun so i know it inside & out and it fits me like a glove 3. This gun can punch a single hole in paper at 25 yards off hand .
I am not too concerned about only having 8 rounds per mag if i can't hit a human size target from 10 to 15 feet away while having the home court advantage with a gun i have shot thousands of rounds through training even if i am under stress well shame on me.

But what works for me might not fit others. So get what ever fits you best and train like hell with it learn the gun so you shoot like it's part of you.

I do keep a Mossberg 500 12g ready to rock as a secondary / fallback gun if i need a little more firepower

AR-15 and 30 rounds of 55gr hornady TAP.

I have my AR (28, 5.56) adequately accessible.

AR 15 w / hollow points. [wink] do own 45 auto's.... but i stick with the nina and 5.56 for "most" applications.

Really?

Not me. Old house, small rooms, they will be digging 5.56 slugs out of your neighbors sugar jar.

Out of 81 posts fencer is the only one who questions this?
Any high powered rifle would be my last choice for home defence.
Hey if you live out in the middle of nowhere it may be a good choice but I'd have to live a few hundred yards from any dwelling before I considered it.

I hear this a lot. I'm honestly curious about it rather than trying be an Internet d-bag [smile]. Do you know of any real world data that backs this up?

Yup on a weekly basis. The nightly news reporting from Dorchester.

I use a glock 23, I grab it, pull the pin and lob it the general direction of the noise. This allows me enough time to get to my real guns. That's when I come out blazing with a Saiga 12 under each arm with 20 round drums. If you can get through a wall of 180 lead projectiles, then by all means I will listen to your speech to why I should accept God as my savior

Dude you sleigh me. [rofl]

I'm not sure of the safety positon on a south paw pump but.
If it's reversed you have to reach under the trigger gaurd to depress it.
Something you might have to practice in a tactical situation.

I'm trying to decide which is a better house gun, a 9mm with a 15rd mag, or a .45 with an 8 rd mag? (Beretta vs Sig)
Anyone have an opinion? Thanks.

My personall choice is G21. 14 preban rounds of .45 ACP. Best of both worlds. Big holes and lots of them.

Really?

Hey if you live out in the middle of nowhere it may be a good choice but I'd have to live a few hundred yards from any dwelling before I considered it.

I own both soft and hard body armor, and regularly wear the soft. Surplus PD vests are cheap. Who's to say the punks (or JBTs) kicking in the door aren't wearing it? The AR isn't my primary HD arm, but it's there if I need it.

Not to mention, if I have time to realize the folks in my house are wearing armor, and grab my AR, chances are I'll be shooting from the top of the stairs, and most everything will be going through the floor into the basement, or at the worst out the door into the porch.

I'm not sure of the safety positon on a south paw pump but.
If it's reversed you have to reach under the trigger gaurd to depress it.
Something you might have to practice in a tactical situation.

Pumps have safeties? I don't think my 870 does [laugh]

Pumps have safeties? I don't think my 870 does [laugh]

last I checked 870's had safeties. I just cleaned mine and it's got one near the trigger guard. Depending on how new they are, they also have those "rem-lock" piles of shit locking safeties that can be turned with a tooth pick.

and you "regularly" wear body armor? Do you live/work in a war zone?

last I checked 870's had safeties. I just cleaned mine and it's got one near the trigger guard. Depending on how new they are, they also have those "rem-lock" piles of shit locking safeties that can be turned with a tooth pick.

Well, I just checked...and yes, my 870 has a safety. Who knew? I've never used it.

and you "regularly" wear body armor? Do you live/work in a war zone?

Fitchburg is only a mile or two away [laugh]

Should probably add, "regularly" might be a bit of an overstatement. But I do, occasionally, wear my soft armor out of the house, mostly for shits-n-giggles. But, if you think about it....most of us carry guns to defend ourselves. Is a IIIa vest really that much of a stretch?

Last edited:

There is a reason police are moving away from the MP5 to M4 clones... and a big part of that reason is 5.56/.223 projectiles tend not to sail through as many walls as a 9mm will. (given proper bullet selection, of course)

-Mike

There is a reason police are moving away from the MP5 to M4 clones... and a big part of that reason is 5.56/.223 projectiles tend not to sail through as many walls as a 9mm will. (given proper bullet selection, of course)

-Mike
Quoted for truth. Not just walls but the 9mm go through people worse than 5.56 also. You would think it would be the other way but its not.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Not to mention, if I have time to realize the folks in my house are wearing armor, and grab my AR, chances are I'll be shooting from the top of the stairs, and most everything will be going through the floor into the basement, or at the worst out the door into the porch.

Now there speaks a man who's thought this sort of scenario out - he knows what the likely areas he'll be shooting are, he knows what's behind them... and that he's got a safe direction to shoot IF he's shooting from the top of the stairs. Gee... just like the NRA Personal Protection In The Home course tells us to do. Amazing.

+1 to you, sir.

But I do, occasionally, wear my soft armor out of the house, mostly for shits-n-giggles.

Hey, there's no law agin it, as long as you're not committing a crime!

-Mike

But but but it's a big scary rifle round.

Back
Top Bottom