Which Massachusetts towns have the most LTC Class A's ?

Too bad the reporter failed to differentiate between those LTC's with restrictions and those that allow CCW

I assume they don't differentiate across restrictions on a class A license. Interesting data for a curious mind, I assume the next investigative report is on percentage of people speaking their mind and so on...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/26874558/detail.html.

Westport with 9% takes first place with towns over 10,000 residents. Boston is near the bottom, which explains why there is so much less crime in Boston.[wink]

See if your town is on the list.

Based on the linked PDF (Class A Licences to Carry By Town), Westport is nowhere near first place. A quick count came up with ~79 towns with a higher percentage of LTC-A licensed residents. From what I can tell, Chesterfield takes 1st place with 27.7%.

Well, it looks like I live right in the "gun belt" of Mass. My town and all surrounding towns made the list.

Very interesting data.

Last edited:
They are probably just referring to the fact that you can't have a mental disorder and get a LTC.

mental health check? I don't know, with the officials we are electing, that should be a requirement to vote.

Seriously though, I heard something on the radio that 1/3 of all Americans, one time or the other used anti-depressants in their life time. Some smoking secession drugs may be classified as such. Also, not everyone with a class A license actually carries on a daily basis. You should always try to get A for "all lawfull purposes"

At the bottom of the list are much larger cities like Boston, which has 3,730 residents with Class A licenses or less than 1 percent of its population. Other towns with the lowest percentages include Brookline, Cambridge, Chelsea and Watertown.

No surprises there. [sad2]

I love the photos in the article showing the police on stops.

Heh, the only time many of those towns get a mention in the press is when something bad happens, and I'm sure they didn't pay to send a photog out to get current pics. One of the pictures in the slideshow was of a cop car that looked straight out of the 70s. I'd attribute that to laziness more than malice. If it was malice, Rosenthal would have been interviewed.

In other places the higher percentages of gun owners might not be treated like a dirty little secret, rather as people freely exercising their Constitutional rights.

If the article really wanted to be accurate about "Which Mass. Towns Have Most Armed Residents?" they wouldn't be relying on firearms licensing data.

There are a lot of town in MA with plenty of guns and very few licenses.

I'm not sure why they say Wesport has the most LTC per capita. They link a PDF list with this article that shows towns with much higher ratio's; Chesterfield 27.7%, Gosnold 25.6%, Peru 24.2%, Tyringham 21.8%, Shelburne 21.0%, Middlefield 20.1%, Savoy 19.9% etc,etc.

Wesport is way down the line @ 9.2%. It must be a minimum population of 10,000 as the criteria, or something like that?

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/download/2011/0215/26874175.pdf

Were you not aware of this?

MGL 140 s131e said:
In searching for any disqualifying history of the applicant, the colonel shall utilize, or cause to be utilized, files maintained by the department of probation and statewide and nationwide criminal justice, warrant and protection order information systems and files including, but not limited to, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The colonel shall inquire of the commissioner of the department of mental health relative to whether the applicant is disqualified from being so licensed. If the information available to the colonel does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law, he shall certify such fact, in writing, to the licensing authority within said 30 day period.
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

If the article really wanted to be accurate about "Which Mass. Towns Have Most Armed Residents?" they wouldn't be relying on firearms licensing data.

There are a lot of town in MA with plenty of guns and very few licenses.

Really? Mattapan and Roxbury have unlicensed induviduals with firearms in town???[wink]

I'm not sure why they say Wesport has the most LTC per capita. They link a PDF list with this article that shows towns with much higher ratio's; Chesterfield 27.7%, Gosnold 25.6%, Peru 24.2%, Tyringham 21.8%, Shelburne 21.0%, Middlefield 20.1%, Savoy 19.9% etc,etc.

Wesport is way down the line @ 9.2%. It must be a minimum population of 10,000 as the criteria, or something like that?

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/download/2011/0215/26874175.pdf

The article stated that they used a population of 10,000 as a minimum requirement. Apparently those other towns don't exist. They skew the numbers too much. Can't have us looking like the wild west now.

Rochester solidly at 11.3% of population... that will go up as the PD has like 20 something licenses pending and I have about another 8 lined up for Firearms Safety Classes!!!

The article stated that they used a population of 10,000 as a minimum requirement. Apparently those other towns don't exist. They skew the numbers too much. Can't have us looking like the wild west now.

Sorry, I didn't read the article, just what I saw on the way out the door this AM. I'd wonder how the counties break down percentage wise?

Back
Top Bottom