Which of the following guns can be shipped into MA via a FFL

Working on getting my MA pistol license. My father a bunch of hand guns and being the great dad that he is, he said he would send me 4 or 5 of them:

Below is the list of guns as well as my current assumptions from he approved roster etc. I will update the list as feed back comes in.

Thanks,
Alex

1) W. German Sig 226 9mm (also has pre ban hi cap 15 round mags that were manufactured and owned in NYS before sept 1994. They were not in MA prior to the ban)?????
2) Beretta 92g elite 9mm. I know the beretta 92 is OK, but does it matter that this is the "elite model"? It has a standard frame etc. (also has pre ban hi cap 15 round mags that were manufactured and owned in NYS before sept 1994. They were not in MA prior to the ban)?????
3) Beretta 96 40s&w(also has pre ban hi cap 11 round mags that were manufactured and owned in NYS before sept 1994. They were not in MA prior to the ban)?????
4) Sig 229 40 S&W (also has pre ban hi cap 12 round mags that were manufactured and owned in NYS before sept 1994. They were not in MA prior to the ban)????
5) HK45 NO GO
6) HK P2000 40S&W NO GO
7) Sig 239 9mm GO
8) S&W model 36 5 shot 38 special revolver ???
9) Walther PPKs -.380-GO
10) NAA Guardian-.380-????
11) Colt Mustang PL II- .380- NO GO
12) HK P7 9mm NO GO
13) Sig P220 45acp- GO

1) W. German Sig 226 9mm (also has pre ban hi cap 15 round mags that were manufactured and owned in NYS before sept 1994. They were not in MA prior to the ban)?????
3) Beretta 96 40s&w(also has pre ban hi cap 11 round mags that were manufactured and owned in NYS before sept 1994. They were not in MA prior to the ban)?????
4) Sig 229 40 S&W (also has pre ban hi cap 12 round mags that were manufactured and owned in NYS before sept 1994. They were not in MA prior to the ban)????
7) Sig 239 9mm GO
9) Walther PPKs -.380-GO
13) Sig P220 45acp- GO

If these were manufactured before 10/21/1998 they would definitely be fine since they're on the approved roster. If they were manufactured after that cut-off, you'll need to make sure they are Mass compliant.

Your 226 is definitely pre-98, so that won't be a problem. Looking for a two-letter date code on the bottom of the slide where the dust cover ends would be a good way to date the German-made Sigs. PM if you need help deciphering the codes. You could also send an email to Sig Sauer customer service with the serial numbers and they can give you a rough idea of when your Sigs were manufactured.

Mass compliant Sigs have the Ma**h*** cut into the hood of the barrel for a loaded-chamber indicator. I'm not sure what, if any, distinctions there are on the Beretta and Walther for being Mass compliant. Somebody else will have to chime in on that.

All the mags you listed will be fine. You could even have your dad send them directly to you in a separate mailing so that less stuff goes to the FFL.

2) Beretta 92g elite 9mm. I know the beretta 92 is OK, but does it matter that this is the "elite model"? It has a standard frame etc. (also has pre ban hi cap 15 round mags that were manufactured and owned in NYS before sept 1994. They were not in MA prior to the ban)?????
8) S&W model 36 5 shot 38 special revolver ???

I'm not sure on these. There is a Model 36 on the approved roster, but specifically the 36-10. I have not dealt with the dash numbers enough to give an answer on how exact they need to be.

And I have a feeling that the Beretta would not be okay since that specific model is not listed on the approved roster.

Of course, in the end, it all comes down to what an FFL will be willing to transfer for you. Make sure you get in touch with your FFL before you start getting things sent over to make sure they will be able to transfer.

5) HK45 NO GO
6) HK P2000 40S&W NO GO
10) NAA Guardian-.380-????
11) Colt Mustang PL II- .380- NO GO
12) HK P7 9mm NO GO

None of these can be transferred by an FFL since they aren't on the approved roster. The only exception would be if the older pieces (P7, Colt, NAA) were documented as being in Massachusetts at some point before 1998. I.e., on the off chance your father bought them in Mass, but subsequently moved to NYS with them, they could be transferred back. The P2000 and HK45 definitely wouldn't meet these criteria, though.

Did you just move here? Are you still a resident of your dad's state?
If so then just have him transfer them to you in that state.

Then you can bring them all with you when you move into Mass. You have I think 60 days to obtain the LTC after moving. Maybe 180. days dont quote me.

You would not need to transfer them either you just bring them all with you. No registration required unless you bring them in after the 60 days.

Just a thought.

Did you just move here? Are you still a resident of your dad's state?
If so then just have him transfer them to you in that state.

Then you can bring them all with you when you move into Mass. You have I think 60 days to obtain the LTC after moving. Maybe 180. days dont quote me.

You would not need to transfer them either you just bring them all with you. No registration required unless you bring them in after the 60 days.

Just a thought.

That was already suggested in a previous thread, but unfortunately he live(s/d) in New York City and his dad is also in New York state. In order to own a handgun in NY, you need to have a pistol permit and the guns need to be registered to said permit. It was decided that this would not be practical for his situation.

Yup....thanks for the suggestion, and I understand the nuances of the situation but its just not going to work out.

Alex

That was already suggested in a previous thread, but unfortunately he live(s/d) in New York City and his dad is also in New York state. In order to own a handgun in NY, you need to have a pistol permit and the guns need to be registered to said permit. It was decided that this would not be practical for his situation.

Back
Top Bottom