Who do you Remember on Memorial Day ...

On Monday I will drink a shot of Jack Daniels for each member of Team 3A, F. Co. LRRPS, 25th Infantry Div.

Joseph Fitzgerald
John Jakovac
Brian McGar
Carl Flower
Charles Rogerson

Although they were KIA on 31 May, 1967. their bodies were never recovered until 30 years later.

They were buried in April 1997 at Arlington National Cemetery, with my brother John leading the burial team.

John was their Team Leader, but was on R&R in Hawaii with his wife when they were killed......and he always blamed himself for their death because he wasn't there.

He never got over their deaths...or the guilt he had about them.

John eventually joined them at Arlington in 2003, when he passed on to the other side.

I like to envision them all sitting together in a "Hootch" again, drinking Jack Daniels and listening to Johnny Cash and the Doors....

And I hope they finally let him know that it wasn't his fault.....because I could never convince him of that.[sad]

Marshal Huckaby, also a Member of the F Company LRRPS wrote this poem for the members of Team 3A.

Loudly Calls the trumpet,
that summons Americas sons,
Come forth ! You have a duty,
and a job that must be done;

Leave behind your friends and family
despite your tender years,
shoulder the mantle of the soldier,
no time for childhood fears:

Did not your fathers before you,
also hear the trumpet call?
and put their love of country,
and their duty above it all?

They stood at Bunker hill,
and some at Shiloh fell,
their youth lost in the trenches,
that turned France into a living Hell.

They stormed those deadly cliffs,
Rangers, so young and proud,
as again their country called them,
Oh, the Trumpet, it calls so loud;

Why must that trumpet call us,
to face, bayonet, shot, and shell,
and join all those before us,
who charged that deadly hail.

We're not supermen ,
Just Americans, you and me;
who know , as those before us,
that freedom is never free;

What is that mournful sound ?
please, not the Trumpet bray,
must each generation of young men,
suit up and march away?

Why was Korean our problem?
couldn't they handle this alone,
why should I leave my family,
can't duty be served at home?

Mother can you hear the music,
is there a band that's playing near?
can it be some joyous party,
and not the Trumpet I hear.

To Viet Nam went our young men,
bravely toward that foreign shore,
please, won't there ever be a day,
when the trumpet sounds no more?

Lo, gently calls the Trumpet,
and beckons from the wall,
Joseph, Charles, John, Carl, and Brian,
march toward their final call.

Last edited:
Monek Weitz. He was vaporized at a FO post his first day in country. He was 18 years old and died on May 25, 1969. Nothing was ever found of him and 3 others when the whole top of a hill was blown up. I think 13 died, but, the remains of some were found. HIS FIRST DAY IN COUNTRY. [sad]

My Grandfathers:

Jack Fisher, United States Air Force
jackjeep2.jpg

John Dowd, United States Army
poppopjp.jpg

My cousin who I never met.
CWO-1 Walter Olinsky
2nd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division
KIA September 1969 in Vietnam.

He was only 20 years old and the family still sheds tears for him when they get together after all those years. My 9 month old son's middle name is Walter in his honor.

Corporal James H. McRae, USMC
Corporal Matthew R. Zindars, USMC
Lance Corporal Robert A Lynch, USMC
Hospitalman (FMF) Daniel S. Noble, USN

All four were KIA from an IED blast in Iraq on July 24th, 2007. I will never forget them, and I will never forget that day.

Corporal Tommy Wolford - F Company 82nd Airborne
Passed: 13- June- 1944

Capt. T. Moore 7th Armored Cav
Pvt L. Bitner - US Army, Vietnam
And some others who are still with us

Last edited:
Michael A. Monsoor, MOH recipient; Ramadi, Iraq September 29, 2006. An insurgent threw a grenade onto the roof where Monsoor and his SEAL team were positioned. Monsoor jumped on the grenade, absorbing the explosion and saving his team. My brother was with him and his team for most of his tour, and credits the man with saving his life more than once. One of the team members told him that Mike's last words before jumping on the grenade were "I got it". Fair Winds, and fallowing seas.

Jeremy L Brown; Afghanistan, May 9th, 2010. He Re-enlisted and left 10th Mountain to be nearer his family. He joined the army before he even finished high school, entering service immediately upon graduation. News of his death hit us hard, especially while we were overseas. Pro Patria!

There are others; but, these two stand out in my mind.

I did 2 combat tours and by the grace of. God, no one got killed. When i was first starting out in the military, I did have a very good friend take his own life one night, and I think of him every now an again. He was a great kid, things just didn't work out for him. RIP brother.

Back
Top Bottom