• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why an o/u?

peterk123

NES Member
They are probably more idiot proof. Certainly less moving parts. But now that I'm putting a bunch of rounds through my V3 in an attempt to miss less clays, I'm finding the gun to be incredibly reliable. Feels good in the hand. Now I will admit, the balance of my wife's cheap o/u felt really nice.

So why is the o/u king for clays, and probably birds? The best semiauto is probably a fraction of the cost of a good o/u.

They are probably more idiot proof. Certainly less moving parts. But now that I'm putting a bunch of rounds through my V3 in an attempt to miss less clays, I'm finding the gun to be incredibly reliable. Feels good in the hand. Now I will admit, the balance of my wife's cheap o/u felt really nice.

So why is the o/u king for clays, and probably birds? The best semiauto is probably a fraction of the cost of a good o/u.
I can't hit the broad side of the barn with a side by side and a stone cold killer with an over/under. There doesn't seem to be a logical reason for this but the damn thing is real.

all the above reasons but it comes down to how well the shotgun fits you.

I personally like my cheapo beretta 686 (cheap for a o/u) better than my Ethos sport (on the higher end for semi auto). Because it fits me better.

but to be fair, I'd rather my M2 over my ethos even.

Can't wait to get back to addieville to busts some clays.

Shoot whatever works for you.

I know that an o/u is supposed to be more reliable, but I also know a bunch of people with o/u guns, that they have to get repaired.

I run an A5, built before WWII, and the only breakage I've ever had is a broken firing pin. On a gun that was 60+ years old, I'll give it a pass.

My kid as a Browning trap gun. I hate it. I don't like the balance, the recoil impulse....even the curve of the pistol grip I find awkward.

To each their own.

I chose a Benelli Ethos sport because all the o/u’s I wanted were big bucks.

I like it. But I would have preferred a o/u.

I started clays with a cheap field o/u. I’ll still bring it out.

I love watching this kid shoot. So bizarre. But he's won a LOT with a semi auto. Joseph Fanizzi.

Of course, many more use a o/u. Pew pew whatchya got with you.

And the choke thing-most people miss by feet. not inches. So for MANY, having two different ones doesn't make much of a difference. I'm still learning to read the bird and lead properly. so far, there is little to no difference between an IC or Mod. I'll likely never have to move to a full choke. Most shooters I aggravate with my questions say the same.
joe fanizzi.png

O/U you can run two different chokes for closer and further shots.
This, at least for birds. Most game birds excepting the biggest, fattest pheasants are going to get the hell out of Dodge VERY quickly and your second shot will be much farther than the first. Close in with a tight choke you will turn the bird into hamburger. Also you can reach out and tough birds that flush wild at greater distances. Improved cylinder for your first shot and Modified or Full for the second.

Just took the opportunity to take a look at my favorite WMA area with Google Maps and measure the distance for some longer shots I've taken successfully. 50 to 60 yards, though with 3" shells and a heavy load of #5's.

On a budget I recommend TriStar. Moderate budget take a look at Franchi O/U's.

I just shoot at places it doesn't matter. 🤣

Honestly though I think for most people it's about how the gun mounts/points and that kind of thing.
So you are the one leaving hulls on the ground?

So you are the one leaving hulls on the ground?

Yes.... I shoot at places where they have staff that clean those things up.

If I was at a private club obviously I would pick my own shit up or whatever the local convention is but if I'm shooting at a place where nobody picks their shit up guess what I'm not picking mine up either. 🤣 nobody ever really mentioned that stuff other than obviously yeah if you're hunting you want to pick your shit up but popping a bird here or there and picking your hulls up is not a big deal. I want to say the distribution is like 50/50 with guys that are shooting Sporting Clays as to what thing they're using. A lot of people I shoot with have and use both kinds. Obviously if we're shooting fun stuff formats like triples or whatever then autos end up being the predominant gun.

Yes.... I shoot at places where they have staff that clean those things up.

If I was at a private club obviously I would pick my own shit up or whatever the local convention is but if I'm shooting at a place where nobody picks their shit up guess what I'm not picking mine up either. 🤣 nobody ever really mentioned that stuff other than obviously yeah if you're hunting you want to pick your shit up but popping a bird here or there and picking your hulls up is not a big deal. I want to say the distribution is like 50/50 with guys that are shooting Sporting Clays as to what thing they're using. A lot of people I shoot with have and use both kinds. Obviously if we're shooting fun stuff formats like triples or whatever then autos end up being the predominant gun.
Gotcha, after you and your buds are done shooting and passing the Grey Poupon, you drive your Range Rovers back to the club for an aperitif and some pâté while the serfs collect hulls.

8d0pjc.jpg

[rofl]

LOL just busting balls. I don't shoot anywhere that has someone to pick up hulls and bitch like an old man when I see some left by other hunters.

You’re going to suck at 5 stand until it clicks. Leading and reading speed can be frustrating but once you get it, you’ll be addicted.

Sporting clays are is even better.

You’re going to suck at 5 stand until it clicks. Leading and reading speed can be frustrating but once you get it, you’ll be addicted.

Sporting clays are is even better.
I’ve done sporting clays a bunch. They did not have it as an option yesterday as it was too cold to wander the woods for 1.5 hours. And I thank them for that! Lol

Yeah. 5 stand was a fun challenge. I think had a bunch of blanks mixed in… lol

I hunt with an over under, if you use a pump or auto loader and miss with the 3rd shot your getting your balls busted.

It’s also nice to have two different chokes for different scenarios. For example I usually shoot improved cylinder first and then modified.

I like the O/U when unloading. It might seem trivial but I’ve hunted in areas where you get in and out of the truck 10 times in a day and that’s not even counting crossing fences.

Last edited:
This, at least for birds. Most game birds excepting the biggest, fattest pheasants are going to get the hell out of Dodge VERY quickly and your second shot will be much farther than the first. Close in with a tight choke you will turn the bird into hamburger. Also you can reach out and tough birds that flush wild at greater distances. Improved cylinder for your first shot and Modified or Full for the second.

Just took the opportunity to take a look at my favorite WMA area with Google Maps and measure the distance for some longer shots I've taken successfully. 50 to 60 yards, though with 3" shells and a heavy load of #5's.

On a budget I recommend TriStar. Moderate budget take a look at Franchi O/U's.
I think I started thinking about clays and birds three years ago. I'm sure I posted about it and one day owning a citori. I'm getting closer 😁

So I figure if we continue to this on a weekly basis, I will commit to the citori cxs. Not a cheap gun, but certainly much less than some of the others in the citori line (especially the 725 series), and it will serve me well chasing those damn grouse. We got lots of pheasant too. Just not sure how successful I will be without a dog.

So I figure if we continue to this on a weekly basis, I will commit to the citori cxs. Not a cheap gun, but certainly much less than some of the others in the citori line (especially the 725 series), and it will serve me well chasing those damn grouse. We got lots of pheasant too. Just not sure how successful I will be without a dog.
I'm lusting over one myself. they are supposed to shoot much flatter than their other models and point of aim/point of impact is similar to a Beretta 686 which I'm shooting fairly well with.

I'm thinking of one in 20 guage.

We went out and flung more clays this afternoon. Most fun so far. Not because I hit more clays, but because my wife started to connect.

As I'm starting to get a better understanding of what my gun does and how I'm lining up, I have a question for you guys. My most comfortable position is cheekbone on the stock with light pressure. But if I do that, the front bread appears to be like a quarter inch above the middle bead. However, I feel like I'm more in line with my barrel when I push my cheek into the stock. It's perfectly fine, I just don't know if that is normal or how repeatable it is. Thoughts?

Also, beads are not coming into play when I'm shooting. I couldn't tell you where they are if my life depended on it. I just look at the clay and shoot. My question is more from a static position. Trying to understand where I should be I lining up from a height standpoint.

Last edited:
Great timing, I was looking at an O/U last night.
Anyone heard anything good, bad, or otherwise about CZ O/Us? (Reaper Magnum, specifically)
I see some great reviews mixed with barrel misalignment and light strikes. From what I understand the CZ shotguns are made in Turkey… I already have a Turkish made shotgun that has issues. I can’t afford a Cynergy.

I have a question for you guys. My most comfortable position is cheekbone on the stock with light pressure. But if I do that, the front bread appears to be like a quarter inch above the middle bead. However, I feel like I'm more in line with my barrel when I push my cheek into the stock. It's perfectly fine, I just don't know if that is normal or how repeatable it is. Thoughts?
In my limited experience in clay shooting over the past year, I think this means the gun does not fit you correctly. If you had an adjustable comb you could get consistent sight picture mounting the gun comfortably.

In my limited experience in clay shooting over the past year, I think this means the gun does not fit you correctly. If you had an adjustable comb you could get consistent sight picture mounting the gun comfortably.
Egh.

I’ve shot a ton of guns. I never blamed a lack of fitting.

I think it’s an excuse unless you are a pro.

My last trap shoot was 22 out of 25. Off the shelf semi gun.

Egh.

I’ve shot a ton of guns. I never blamed a lack of fitting.

I think it’s an excuse unless you are a pro.

My last trap shoot was 22 out of 25. Off the shelf semi gun.
In my mind it probably shouldn't matter as long as everything goes to the same place each time you mount onto the gun. Then you just aim accordingly. If the way I set up makes me shoot high, just aim lower. Am I wrong?

In my mind it probably shouldn't matter as long as everything goes to the same place each time you mount onto the gun. Then you just aim accordingly. If the way I set up makes me shoot high, just aim lower. Am I wrong?
I’ve shot a bunch of guns.

It’s really relative.

Just get used to it and/or accommodate the gun.

I gave a well know member my old 870 and said good luck. He did really well.

this was his first shotgun shoot

Back
Top Bottom