Why buy dozens of AR magazines?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
I keep seeing comments from people who want to buy 10, 20, 30 or more AR magazines.

I'm curious: why? Do they wear out that quick, or do you need that many for large action shoots of some kind? Or do you just want a lot loaded and on hand for the coming zombie apocalypse?

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something and should be buying more myself. I'm not expecting to go into combat any time soon, so I'd think that 5 or 10 mags should do me fine... but then, I freely admit I don't know it all. Yet.

Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject.

I keep seeing comments from people who want to buy 10, 20, 30 or more AR magazines.

I'm curious: why? Do they wear out that quick, or do you need that many for large action shoots of some kind? Or do you just want a lot loaded and on hand for the coming zombie apocalypse?

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something and should be buying more myself. I'm not expecting to go into combat any time soon, so I'd think that 5 or 10 mags should do me fine... but then, I freely admit I don't know it all. Yet.

Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject.

Because zombies come in hordes...[wink]

I don't know really... I have 6 and that's more than enough to me. I keep HD ammo in two mags, and the others mags come to the range w/ me

I think people are buying them in case there is another ban...they are cheap and small....etc....

They last a long while, but are in no means going to last 'forever.'

I keep one in each AR in the safe and a number of loaded ones on top of the safe. I think I have around 15-20.

Depends on how many rifles your trying to feed I would say 5-6 per rifle is not a bad start but since its harder and harder to find 30 rounders that are dated properly makes them a hot commodity for MA owners.

The more, the merrier!
There is nothing like sitting down in front of the tube loading a thousand or so rounds into mags.
Makes for one fun day at the range!

Actually, m16 mags were originally designed to be disposable.
They can were out more quickly than say m14 mags.
The newer mags are more durable and given most USGI mags are surplus, you never know how used/abused they are until you use them.

Plus, aren't we all waiting for that terrible zombie invasion?

Great question Drwarven1. I think about it all the time. I have more more than 10 30 Rounders. I use 4 for the range, 6 are new (old stock) and "in storage," 2 are loaded with a mix of Lake City P-tip and tracers and they are always in play. Then there are the magazines who have no official designation, sit in various states of preparation, loaded with several different types of rounds in a quantity that's not really important....

So I will come right out and admit that I probably have more than I need. Thing is, it just feels so good to have them stacked and ready...Plus, if the zombies do come there aren't going to wait while I load a mag, and boy, I'm gonna feel pretty darn silly when my head is getting torn apart and I realize I should have had more mags!

i think owning anything over 10 AR mags is getting on the high side. theres a lot of people who have trouble finding one or two for a decent price, and it does aggravate me a little when i see people ask for 6+ when there isnt a lot left in the first place for a good price.

you can buy a unlimited supply of 30 round mags in MA for $20-30 at stores. but when the price is $10-$15, people go crazy and want to buy as many as they can possibly at that price, at the loss of others.

right now i have
3 - 40 round mags ($30 each)
1 - 30 round mag that needs to be repaired ($30 each)
1 - new 20 round mag ($30 each)
1 - new 10 round mag (came with rifle)

i only want 2-3 more 30's and thats it for me, im trying to make a setup so ill have 4 30's and 3 40's insted of the normal 7 30 round battle load.

Great question. I have about 8-10 mags and 2 AR's but I prefer to have my "Ready to go" ammo loaded in stripper clips so my mag springs are at rest. I only have one mag loaded and its a 30 rounder loaded to 20.

im trying to make a setup so ill have 4 30's and 3 40's insted of the normal 7 30 round battle load.
And now that brings up the next question.

If the 30s are the normal battle load, why are there 20 round mags in existence? I understand that the 20s can be more reliable, but other than the obvious round count, is there a reason for preferring one to the other? Availability of mag pouches for the different sizes?

the 30 round mags replaced the 20's a while ago. i have seen 20's in the national guard left over from vietnam era, but all the new issue is going to be 30 rounders.

the army even tried 40 rounders also, but 30's became the standard 5.56 magazine size, just like 20 is the most common 7.62 NATO size.

7 30 round magazines is the typical load, and if you carry a pistol its 2 15 round mags. you can carry more if you can find it and want to have the weight, but 210 5.56 and 30 9mm is the minimum as far as i know.

And now that brings up the next question.

If the 30s are the normal battle load, why are there 20 round mags in existence? I understand that the 20s can be more reliable, but other than the obvious round count, is there a reason for preferring one to the other? Availability of mag pouches for the different sizes?

Shooting prone is easier w/ 20 rounders vs. 30 rounders. That's just my opinion though, and why I would go with them.

During the Fed Ban, I bought pre-ban mags when I could find them at gun shows for $20 or so each. Many were beat pretty hard by looking at the worn finish.

I will say that a bunch of the 30 rd mags didn't function to my satisfaction.

I did buy a bunch of worn 20 rd mags which work great and that is mostly what I use.

The rest, however many there are (and no, I have no idea) just sit around collecting dust. Someday I'll strip them, clean them and rebuild them (also got a bunch of green followers on a group buy some years ago).

For AR mags, I agree that many is wise due to reliability issues plus I have multiple ARs. Pistol mags I usually consider 5 to be a good number/gun.

Shooting prone is easier w/ 20 rounders vs. 30 rounders. That's just my opinion though, and why I would go with them.

The main reason is originally they only had twenties and there are alot of them out there. I like 20's when I use the bypod as well. But it's like any other gun. If the mag fits and works then toss it in the pile. I have some really old twenties that are almost shiny they are so worn out and they have metal followers. I love to keep one sticking out of my old preban SP1... looks like something out of a movie.

Indeed, the 30 rd mags will dig into your arm as well as form a "monopod" while shooting prone.

it wont if you know how to hold the rifle while prone correctly. a 40 round mag will give you issues with hitting the ground, but a 30 wont if you know whats going on.

And due to the Vietnam War and subsequent events, there is an almost unlimited supply of USGI AR mags out there. That's why the prices, even in ban states now (or during the Fed Ban) stayed sensible (avg was $20 each unless you insisted on the Prancing Pony logo).

Compare that to the handgun mags that cost $15-20 and were being sold for $75-90 during the Fed Ban (and some dealers still try to get close to this in ban states).

Enlighten us, O Sage! How do you hold it correctly?

i can show you guys at the next shoot. just support the rifle correctly off your elbows. the army makes you qual using a 30 round mag usualy, and you do not rest the magazine on the ground while shooting prone unsupported.

no need to get fresh mister dwarven, youll hurt my feelings!

ill look online right now to see if i can find a FM or something on it with a illustration, i know how much we love our photos here at NES.

i can show you guys at the next shoot. just support the rifle correctly off your elbows. the army makes you qual using a 30 round mag usualy, and you do not rest the magazine on the ground while shooting prone unsupported.

ill look online right now to see if i can find a FM or something on it with a illustration, i know how much we love our photos here at NES.

Or just shoot it upside down...lol

Enlighten us, O Sage! How do you hold it correctly?

THE SAGE HAS SPOKEN!
Second_Picture.gif

seriously guys, if your shooting your AR with a 30 round magazine in it and your afraid the mags going to touch then ground then you need to learn the basic shooting postions. go join the military or something, shesh! civilians!

in the above photo he has 3-4.5 inches of clearance from the bottom of the mag to the ground. id love to see how lens and fsorrent are doing it, that would be a pretty funny demonstration.

kisses for everyone[kiss], no hate intended!

Uh... wasn't trying to hurt feelings, I was just being my normal somewhat silly self.
in the above photo he has 3-4.5 inches of clearance from the bottom of the mag to the ground.
Thanks. Not owning an AR (yet) and never having shot one (or maybe once; I don't remember) I really don't have any idea of how far out a 30 round mag sticks out. This whole thread is actually informational for me; when I'm ignorant of a subject, I tend to ask a lot of questions so I can learn.

Again, thanks.

I don't even remember the last time I shot my AR prone . . . had to be close to 10 years ago. But I do recall one time using a sling and the 30rd mag and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

oh i thought you were busting my balls! sorry heh.
ill be going to both the car shoot and the pumpkin shoot, so if you want to learn any of the general fundementals about m16/m4 or AK shooting positions then i can give you a good basic course. others on this board from as much as i hear might be better then me, but im here never the less.
even try to tag along with me and billk on our every-other-weekend shooting extravaganzas by fitchburg, we bring all the fun toys out.

oh i thought you were busting my balls! sorry heh.
ill be going to both the car shoot and the pumpkin shoot, so if you want to learn any of the general fundementals about m16/m4 or AK shooting positions then i can give you a good basic course. others on this board from as much as i hear might be better then me, but im here never the less.
even try to tag along with me and billk on our every-other-weekend shooting extravaganzas by fitchburg, we bring all the fun toys out.
I'll probably just borrow Nickle's AR at the Bennington Appleseed Shoot just to try out the prone position with it.

I normally shoot prone with an M1, an Enfield or my 10/22 - and I can definitely state that a 10/22 with a 30 round Eagle magazine is a PITA to shoot with a sling whether it be prone OR standing. I keep thinking of selling them and then I think "But I can't get any more if I sell them"... so I keep them and don't use them much. Maybe I'll get that Gatling kit that's in the classifieds...

I'll probably just borrow Nickle's AR at the Bennington Appleseed Shoot just to try out the prone position with it.

I normally shoot prone with an M1, an Enfield or my 10/22 - and I can definitely state that a 10/22 with a 30 round Eagle magazine is a PITA to shoot with a sling whether it be prone OR standing. I keep thinking of selling them and then I think "But I can't get any more if I sell them"... so I keep them and don't use them much. Maybe I'll get that Gatling kit that's in the classifieds...

you and lens both mentioned slings and large sized magazines getting in the way. i dont undertsand how thats happening. do you have the sling tight to your body while prone? that could be the problem right there if thats what your doing.

id love to see how lens and fsorrent are doing it, that would be a pretty funny demonstration.

kisses for everyone[kiss], no hate intended!

Sure just bring a lot of $1 bills, and some heartburn medication and I can make it a pretty entertaining demonstration. [smile]

Don't blame a guy for trying to justify why he needs magazines, even if they don't make sense....just got with the flow. You're starting to sound like my woman, with all these questions about why you need this and that...[shocked]

[wink]No flame intended, but that's what happens w/ farts and matches...

Back
Top Bottom