Why do Police Departments make obtaining LTC so difficult ?

I may be off base but remember when Prop 2 1/2 was passed ? A lot of municpal budgets now could not grow at the previous rates so Dept. heads would cut back on things that would make the taxpayers upset such as not providing crossing guards. Parnets would get incensed and call their town fathers and the PD would explain they had to get rid of the crossing guards because of Prop 2 1/2. Next town budget meeting, extra money would be put in the budget for crossing guards. With the increased applications for LTC's and FID's, I am hearing of applicants waiting for months just to get processed. I am wondering if PD's are doing this purposely so the applicants will complain to the Town fathers who in turn ask the PD's "what's going on" and they are told "we need more money to process all these licenses". Just a thought...

Simple. The system was designed to restrict or deny you your civil rights.

I think I would say that the system was designed to allow for arbitrary restrictions or denials of your civil rights.

The biggest problems I see are the financial and time burdens as well as the subjective nature of "suitability."

I wish a state rep had to personally tell a young mother that she has to spend hundreds of dollars and wait months to possibly protect herself and her baby from a criminal that has no such burdens.

Eta. I think we should not allow for mental illness tests ever as these only add to subjective denials while again doing nothing for the criminal that still ignores these new laws.

Sent from my mobile device.

Last edited:
There may be a State Law, but there is absolutely no consequence to breaking it.

That's the PROBLEM.

BTW, my 40th Day is tomorrow, January 22nd, 2013.

Not holding my breath.

So did you file the suit yet?

There may be a State Law, but there is absolutely no consequence to breaking it.

That's the PROBLEM.

^ This. Until/unless the licensing officers have a negative consequence, they will continue to do exactly what they are doing, and nothing more. Maybe if they lost their funding due to noncompliance, they'd change their tune.

I am not joking. When you write "difficult", what part of the process are you referring to?

Dave

dif·fi·cult
Adjective
  • Needing much effort or skill to accomplish, deal with, or understand.
  • Characterized by or causing hardships or problems.

Synonyms
hard - heavy - trying - tough - arduous - laborious

The entire process is most definitely difficult. If it wasn't we wouldn't have 5000 threads here asking for help understanding it.

Title should be "why do Some police depts..."

Many do it quickly, easily, and without fanfare. But these are typically the smaller departments run by reasonable chiefs that have no illusions of their own importance.
Being small they make up an even smaller percent of the total permits issued.

What we hear most about are the departments in the larger population centers.

Think about what it takes to move up in big departments and be the chief in a city? What type of ego will typically succeed?

You can answer your own question.

Community policing still exists and good chiefs are out there, just mostly in the sub 5000 pop towns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the REAL question is why won't many departments issue a machine gun license?

MA had a real brainwave with naming that one: "If we call it a 'Machine Gun License' everyone will think that's too scary and no one will issue it!"

Thank God Spencer's chief DGAF

speaking only for NH i usaully have the person wait if they come in for a license. it takes me no more than 15-20 minutes to do one. if i dont have a call pending you walk out the door with your license.

Its all about "petty authority". Put a pissant in charge of something and watch them turn into a tyrant. DMV? Club bouncers? This mentality is more common among cops because petty tyrants are drawn to jobs where you get to tell people what to do. It was also this type of mentality among supervisors that led to much of the Post Office shootings back in the 80's 90's.

Even That is too long!

If everyone who documents that they went over the forty days for the issuance of the license were go to the court and file for a hearing, the courts would be stacked up and the clerks of court would get pissed at the chiefs. Nothing moves through the court without the clerk of court moving it.
he was talking about a ccw permit...no ltc required just to buy/own in maine like there is in mass...but your point is still entirely valid.

Because it allows one person to be arbitrary and capricious without penalties for doing exactly that.

The 2nd amendment is the right and the law.

Any other written law is only about restricting and in the case of MA laws abuse of power...when you need a permit and insurance for free speech you will understand

Last edited:
Because it allows one person to be arbitrary and capricious without penalties for doing exactly that.

The 2nd amendment is the right and the law.

Any other written law is only about restricting and in the case of MA laws abuse of power...when you need a permit and insurance for free speech you will understand

Why is it when I ask a particular person a question someone else feels they need to answer it for them? This has happenned twice now in the same thread. Please afford intelligent people the opportunity to speak for themselves and explain their thoughts.

Dave

And your question was!! And to Whom!!! Your questions and last posting, lead me to believe that your are A TROLL!!!!!!!

Maybe I misunderstand how this works, but when someone makes a statement on this forum that isn't clear to me I quote them and ask a question. I believe this is directed to the person who made the original quote. Am I mistaken?

If I expressed an opinion here and someone quoted me and asked me a question, I would think they want me to answer them, and not want someone else to answer for me. Do I have it wrong?

Dave

Maybe I misunderstand how this works, but when someone makes a statement on this forum that isn't clear to me I quote them and ask a question. I believe this is directed to the person who made the original quote. Am I mistaken?

If I expressed an opinion here and someone quoted me and asked me a question, I would think they want me to answer them, and not want someone else to answer for me. Do I have it wrong?

Dave

Kinda, yeah. This is a forum. Anyone can ask a question and anyone can answer it. If you want 1 on 1 comms, go to PM....

Framingham was straightforward. The only issue is that prints and photos are only certian hours on Thurs only. The people were helpful and the LEO in charge seemed very nice. This was for myself and two sons......FYI

Have to say, just renewed my Boston LCF and everyone was perfectly friendly and helpful. More so than when I renewed six years ago. Don't know if that would pertain to new applicants, but more people are applying in Boston than at any time I can remember. BRP is considering going to two intro classes per month. I'm told Boston Gun & Rifle are also filled up for some time.

mine was easy to get in Franklin, just took the time that they said it would. called for an appointment, went in two days later, filled out the application online right there and did pictures/prints and off I went. didn't even have to be late to work

So I guess the theme here is that if it's easy for some people in a few towns to jump through the hoops, then the whole system is just A-OK? All of those people in Worcester, Everett, Quincy, Boston, Springfield, Salem, etc, etc, etc are just whiners?

no, just saying that not every town sucks and tries to roadblock you. some either care about your right to carry or at least aren't interested in controlling their town population

no, just saying that not every town sucks and tries to roadblock you. some either care about your right to carry or at least aren't interested in controlling their town population

Do you really believe that?

Do you really believe that?
that some chiefs may be the exception to the rule? Yes I do, I dont consider it likely or widespread but I do believe there are some in this state who think law abiding citizens can exercise their rights. I have personally seen individuals who could have easily been restricted or worse under the current state guidlines, get their class A with no restrictions with no real issue

there are some towns where it is as easy as the state allows to get a LTC-A.

you may not believe it but it is true

Back
Top Bottom