Why do Police Departments make obtaining LTC so difficult ?

Well as long as the state allows....
trust me I am not saying the process in Mass is acceptable by any means. I am merely offering a positive review of my town who wasted no time in getting me in, filing my application and getting it off to the state and also informing me when it was completed
leads me to believe that they do not share in the belief of other towns where it should be a long frustrating drawn out process meant to anger or turn away their residents

So I guess the theme here is that if it's easy for some people in a few towns to jump through the hoops, then the whole system is just A-OK? All of those people in Worcester, Everett, Quincy, Boston, Springfield, Salem, etc, etc, etc are just whiners?
The theme is that experiences vary widely, with some cities and towns very responsive, others less so.

Perhaps adding your initial experience in Melrose would help add something positive to the thread - rather than whining about whiners? Because now if you object to this post it will be whining about whining about whining about whining.....

Some police departments, not all. In Shrewsbury its a simple straight nice process just takes a little time. The issuing officer was a very cool guy, we talked about the kids, the town, gardening and all sorts of shit.

This. Pepperel LO is a great person. We chatted each other up during the whole process. Me thinks she was getting a feel for my demeanor. All in all, easy, and 6 weeks from class to receipt of license.

Not all towns are Lowell or Worcester....

This. Pepperel LO is a great person. We chatted each other up during the whole process. Me thinks she was getting a feel for my demeanor. All in all, easy, and 6 weeks from class to receipt of license.

Not all towns are Lowell or Worcester....

They are still shitting all over you. Let's not get confused here, this isn't some secret squirrel O-M-G I'm a g-man concealed license. This is a control on your ability to own. Shit, your ability to own anything related to firearms basically. Any wait, any agreement to this process is off the frickin' wall and wrong.

That LO is NOT a great person.

The theme is that experiences vary widely, with some cities and towns very responsive, others less so.

Perhaps adding your initial experience in Melrose would help add something positive to the thread - rather than whining about whiners? Because now if you object to this post it will be whining about whining about whining about whining.....

Having to go beg the local chief for a "permit" to exercise a natural right that is guaranteed by our Constitution (both US and MA versions) is disgusting. It's really great that (some of) the people who have unchecked control over our rights are nice and like to talk about gardening though.

Last edited:
the topic is titled why do police dept make obtaining a LTC do difficult. My police department did not in my mind, my state does

thats the only argument I was presenting. I am certainly not arguing that the process is pleasant or something I enjoy having to go through, I am certainly opposed.

if we are discussing the state mandated process then thats a different story, I was merely responding to the questioned posed in the thread title

The process in my town was simple and painless as it has been for others that I've talked with. Yes, it is difficult in some towns, yes the state imposes restrictions, but ALSO yes there are locals who do their best to get make it as easy as possible. Don't chuck them all in the same box. Ron

Because it is a power trip forcing you to pretend to respect them.
^This.

According to the FRB, after 5 weeks of waiting my LTC application process hasn't even been initiated yet. Zero progress has been made in the five weeks my local PD has been sitting on my application. There's simply no excuse and its a blatant disregard to serve the community.

^This.

According to the FRB, after 5 weeks of waiting my LTC application process hasn't even been initiated yet. Zero progress has been made in the five weeks my local PD has been sitting on my application. There's simply no excuse and its a blatant disregard to serve the community.

But was the guy that took your application a nice guy?

I feel bad for people who have to wait so long for theirs, especially renewals.
I was originally told to not even bother calling for 8 weeks when I applied and mine came in 4 weeks, Class A unrestricted.
No hoops to jump through. The interview was nothing but a formality. We shot the shit while he typed all my information in.

I also live in a small city, 38,000 people. So it wasn't a small town type setup.

When I applied in Woburn in 2004, it was a simple straightforward process. The licensing officer was somewhat friendly (read: not a jerk) and they never gave me a hard time or any attitude. While I was waiting for him to grade my multiple-choice "gun law test", I fixed the lady's printer in the office. She was really friendly and always helped me when I called to check the status.

My wife applied in Billerica in 2012. The process was EXTREMELY easy, took just over 2 months from the moment she applied to the moment she picked up her license, and the licensing officer was the most friendly, professional cop I've ever met. I've talked them up on NES before, but I just want to say again that I have all the respect in the world for the Billerica PD. They are top notch!

When I applied in Woburn in 2004, it was a simple straightforward process. The licensing officer was somewhat friendly (read: not a jerk) and they never gave me a hard time or any attitude. While I was waiting for him to grade my multiple-choice "gun law test", I fixed the lady's printer in the office. She was really friendly and always helped me when I called to check the status.

My wife applied in Billerica in 2012. The process was EXTREMELY easy, took just over 2 months from the moment she applied to the moment she picked up her license, and the licensing officer was the most friendly, professional cop I've ever met. I've talked them up on NES before, but I just want to say again that I have all the respect in the world for the Billerica PD. They are top notch!

My wife just did the renewal for her Class-A unrestricted and it took about 4 days from the time she dropped off the paperwork to the time she went in to meet with the licensing officer at Billerica PD. No weird stuff needed and no jumping through hoops or hounding the PD for an appointment. He went over the application with her and entered it all on into the state system while she was there so now any waiting is due to the state not BPD.

Obviously there are some of you out there who will never get it. Feeling sorry for your paranoia and hatred. Ron

The fact that NOT every chief and licensing officer is a piece of crap who is trying to infringe on our 2a rights. Ront

The fact that NOT every chief and licensing officer is a piece of crap who is trying to infringe on our 2a rights. Ront

Free men don't beg for their natural rights. Just men don't require people to do so.

I feel sorry for any man who lacks the character to uphold his oath.

Last edited:
I have an interview for a Class A next month in Holliston, Ma, what can I expect, what information are they looking for during the interview?

not every one but too many are.

in my experience I have recieved these replys from one chief"**** off I don't give class a ltc 's to just every one who walks in here."

to one l.o." you can only have a BLTC because I don't know you."

to the next l.o. " come on in ,who the hell gave you the "b"? oh, that dick is retired now I only give "A,s" if you check out.

I have an interview for a Class A next month in Holliston, Ma, what can I expect, what information are they looking for during the interview?

Both of my parents went in the beginning of December. All they had to do is drop off the application and have their fingerprints and photo taken. I think they were both out the door in less than 30 minutes. They got the call that their license's were in last Saturday, Class A ALP.

I think that in this state people have the default mindset of why. What I mean by that is they have the why do you need that? why do you worry about someone: attacking you, breaking into your home, etc. Why don't you think that the police are going to be able to help? They have the idea that this is a civilized society and owning guns is not necessary. They will say "ok hunting sure" but then they will think why hunt the grocery store has everything you will need. Sport "ok sure skeet or trap I get it then all you need is a shot gun." That's my opinion of the general populace here in this state and probably in the northeast and west coast.

Add to that, the Napoleon syndrome. Many people who obtain a position of power and authority with the absolute power of governance over certain things will ultimately abuse that power. The founding fathers knew full well the nature of man and were intelligent enough to see fit to severely restrict the powers of a federal government.
As for local chiefs, For every really good one who honors his oath of office there are ten who are not fit to shine the shoes of those whom they are sworn to protect and serve. They have become jaded over the years and have developed the "us vs. them" syndrome and see anyone with any type of firepower as just another player in their lifelong delusional fantasy of fighting it out with the "bad guys".

This is why I relish now living in a community where the sheriff is the top law enforcement officer and his actions are highly subject to public scrutiny as is his very job with the next election. If he screws his constituents, he'll be unemployed with no pension. The decisions of officers like this are almost ALWAYS better than those of any appointed, incorporated municipal police chief's, especially when it comes to gun rights.

Back
Top Bottom