Why is it called a talo edition

Amazing Glock models!

Everything is laser engraved these days. Hand engraving cost too much and nobody wants to pay for it unless it's in an ultra high end gun.

My dad was friends with Bill Ruger Jr. We went to the company HQ in Southport many years ago, I'd guess late 90s, and watched the engravers working on shotguns and revolvers. That project only lasted a few years as nobody really wanted to pay for a custom shop Ruger.

I'll contrast that with a friend of mine named George Spring. He was THE master engraver at Colt in West Hartford. He did a set of pistols for one of the Bushes. He said he had something like 200+ hours into the guns.

TALO is an acronym for Texas, Arizona, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. I forget if it is a single firearm distributor for the region or a collection of them in those states. Every once in a while they will come out with a special edition of a firearm. Sometimes it is a special color, sometimes it’s engraved. I’m not sure how collectible they are or if they are limited production runs.
TALO is Texas, ARKANSAS, Louisiana and Oklahoma. Not Arizona.

Everything is laser engraved these days. Hand engraving cost too much and nobody wants to pay for it unless it's in an ultra high end gun.

My dad was friends with Bill Ruger Jr. We went to the company HQ in Southport many years ago, I'd guess late 90s, and watched the engravers working on shotguns and revolvers. That project only lasted a few years as nobody really wanted to pay for a custom shop Ruger.

I'll contrast that with a friend of mine named George Spring. He was THE master engraver at Colt in West Hartford. He did a set of pistols for one of the Bushes. He said he had something like 200+ hours into the guns.
Pics please

Some of it is just that Franklin Mint type stuff. OK, maybe not. Maybe halfway between a special Colt edition SAA and a Franklin Mint ruined firearm.
No denying it, that's one nice looking peashooter!

Nice gun:

Another I'd like:
1715218928760.png
1715218956433.png

Last edited:
I look at them like Shelby edition wahtever's from Ford. At one point, it meant something special. But over time, it was just a few aftermarket parts for a bit price bump.
Well, the Shelby tag did go to aftermarket bits for a while, but it came back pretty hard. The last round of Shelby GT500s in 2022 moved the engine from a naturally aspirated 5.0 liter making ~480HP to a supercharged 5.2 liter putting out 760 HP.

TALO is the pimp my ride of the gun world.

I've only one TALO influenced firearm, a recently bought 10/22 Sporter, and so far I actually like it better than the standard model, which I've owned for about 30 years. It's a bit lighter, balances and aims better due to the altered stock else it's just another Sporter. I wanted a semi specifically to go with a pump, bolt and lever for a shooting gallery I made (for use at 50 yards) and as a base for a scoped rifle amongst the group. One criteria is using open sights, off hand, on mostly non molested factory products. Plinking with a scope and a rest is as boring as shooting at bullseye targets all day.

The lever action sports a Williams FP sight but all my Marlins do. The others are as from the factory. The only modifications I'm making to the 10/22 is I've added low Warne maxima QD bases and mounts and a Vortex Diamondback rimfire 3-7. It's a return to zero so it won't normally be on it. That's only for if I go after marbles. I did add a Volquartsen auto bolt release as I'm left handed and the bolt functions on 10/22's suck for me and it wears a new 1903 type leather sling for a stabilizer. I'll be popping the barrel off sometime this weekend and breaking out the old gunsmither cleandrill to bore a cleaning rod hole in the receiver. Why Ruger does't do it themselves is beyond me. When I reassemble it I'll be replacing the V-block with a Tandemkross one. Why not?

This is the TALO model. It is supposedly a limited run of only 1,000.

10:22.jpg

Naturally, I keep all the original parts for if I ever sell one (never have) and the buyer wants a stock model, I can reverse it sans the hole.

And on Ruger. I know that the 10/22 and the Mark pistols are the erector set of .22's but why not incorporate some of the more favorable aspects offered as factory standards. Hell, they have the BX trigger group. Make it a standard, keep what you have now and charge an extra $25.00 to make up the difference. It isn't like thier stuff is at basement prices anymore.

They should also supply a roll of painters tape with every firearm that uses their push pins to hold everything together. I've learned the hard way working on thier products to tape over ANY pin that I'm not going to be removing. No tilting anything until that's accomplished. There have been more than one occasion that I've found my hand full of parts, springs and a pin from it just slipping out. One time it happened to me twice while working on a Mark V. I made the mistake of tilting it with the grips off to get a better view and got a hand full of parts. I'm like aw man and then tilted it the other way as a involuntary response and got some more and another pin thinking (while looking at this odd plastic part), what the hell is that thing.

Last edited:
Well ... they should check the stuff they distribute. No way I was putting all the stocks parts back in the gun and sending it back for them to do a sh*t job a second time. I decided to have it done the right way.

But I will still talk sh*t, because it speaks to the quality of people they work with. There are probably hundreds of people with the same issue I had.

I will give them one positive, they were very quick to reply to my Email and tell me to ship it to Ruger. :/

I went to @Golddiggie house, we were ripping the Cerakote with our fingers. Zero prep work underneath. I wonder how many were sprayed that way.
So why didn't you ship it back to Ruger? The ones who did the crappy Cerakote job on it?

You can get in touch with a live human in about 2 minutes at SR and they will email you a shipping label. So zero cost to you both ways and very little time invested.

So why didn't you ship it back to Ruger? The ones who did the crappy Cerakote job on it?

You can get in touch with a live human in about 2 minutes at SR and they will email you a shipping label. So zero cost to you both ways and very little time invested.

I doubt it was Ruger that did a sh*t job.

When I Emailed the guys, 2 people contacted me, one was Lipseys and the other was some dude that aparently did the cerakote.

That seemed sketchy AF, and Lipseys answer was lame. They sold it under their name, fix it for me.

I wasn't going to deal with the morons that did a sh*t job the first time and wait weeks. I chose to have it done right.

Nice gun:

Another I'd like:
I have the TALO walnut/stainless american in .22 rimfire regular not magnum. It is a nice gun.

Back
Top Bottom