Wife is getting ready to build her SBR

Ok, I have a question. I know I have to fill out the Form 1 but the part I am getting stuck up on is the overall length. She is going to be getting a 14.5" Barrel and a 6 Pos. Stock.

Another question is for caliber, would I put MULTI (as it is listed on the lower) or 5.56?

Thanks for any help,

Brian

Call ATF in Boston, they should be able to answer your question about the stock. As for caliber, put what is marked on the gun's receiver.

I suggest multi, or list out all AR-15 calibres. Otherwise you'll be stuck with 5.56/.223 I believe the receiver also has to state the same.

I always put the length the rifle would be with the stock collapsed and the shortest barrel I plan on putting on the rifle. Also i'd list any forseeable calibers you may use.

Don't call your field office they won't know what you're talking about. Call the NFA branch of the ATF. # is on the ATF website.

To determine minimum legal length for a non-SBR, the ATF measures with the stock extended (I see no reason why it would be different with an SBR)...

A short barreled rifle is a rifle (which is defined as a shoulder
fired, rifled bore firearm) with a barrel length of less than 16",
or an overall length of less than 26", or any weapon made from a
rifle falling into the same length parameters (like a pistol made
from a rifle). In measuring barrel length you do it from the
closed breech to the muzzle, see 27 CFR sec. 179.11. To measure
overall length do so along, "the distance between the extreme ends
of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of
the bore." 27 CFR sec. 179.11. On a folding stock weapon you
measure with the stock extended, provided the stock is not readily
detachable, and the weapon is meant to be fired from the shoulder.

http://www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/nfa_faq.txt

with a 14.5" upper you could just get a vortex or like length flash suppressor perm. attached to the barrel thus avoiding the 200 dollars. Just something to think about even though its coming from a person who did spend the 200 to register a 14.5" gun himself

Here is what I did and I just got the stamp back. Put .223 for the caliber, it does not preclude you from using the gun in other calibers. Put the length with the stock extended as well. As long as you retain the upper to put it in that original condition you are good to go, but you can put other calibers and other uppers on it to your heart's content. Keep it simple, don't overthink it and you'll have no problem getting it approved.

As others have said, ATF measures firearms with the stock in the longest configuration. Some examiners will accept caliber Multi, other won't. The fact is, it doesn't really matter. The registered caliber should be the one that your firearm is generally configured in, but you can temporarily reconfigure it to any other caliber, up to .50, as anything over that would make it a DD.

If you can't figure out the overall length of the firearm for the Form 1, you shouldn't be allowed own it. Simple math is involved!

--EasyD

As others have said, ATF measures firearms with the stock in the longest configuration. Some examiners will accept caliber Multi, other won't. The fact is, it doesn't really matter. The registered caliber should be the one that your firearm is generally configured in, but you can temporarily reconfigure it to any other caliber, up to .50, as anything over that would make it a DD.

If you can't figure out the overall length of the firearm for the Form 1, you shouldn't be allowed own it. Simple math is involved!

--EasyD

Easier said than done when I have NO upper to relate it to and stock etc is on order. Yes I can add 14.5" of the barrel, but what about the receiver itself? Ever think of that? I am the kind of person who believes in doing something right the first time and not keep throwing something up hoping it sticks.

Also, grow up some. Snide comments like yours just show you to be on the immature side, especially since you do not know me personally.

Last edited:
Easier said than done when I have NO upper to relate it to and stock etc is on order. Yes I can add 14.5" of the barrel, but what about the receiver itself? Ever think of that? I am the kind of person who believes in doing something right the first time and not keep throwing something up hoping it sticks.

Also, grow up some. Snide comments like yours just show you to be on the immature side, especially since you do not know me personally.

I'll admit I assumed you had access to a AR lower with a similar stock, and a barreled upper of any length. Those items along with a measuring tape, a cleaning rod and some simple math can determine the overall length of the assembled rifle with any length barrel.

Also, take a joke some. Snide comments like mine just show that I'm on the smart ass side, which as little to do with maturity level and I'm like that with everyone, including people I don't know personally.

--EasyD

Several people here who have experience with SBRs have already told you exactly what you need to do. Judging by your comments above I wouldn't expect any more advice. Good luck with your transfer.

Back
Top Bottom