Winchester SXZ Ammo line

Has anyone tried the Winchester SXZ ammo line at all? From what I found it's a Basspro exclusive so you won't find it in other stores. I got some gift cards for Basspro for Christmas and wanted to replace the ammo in my HD gun so i picked up some of it on a trip there. It seems like it's reasonably priced and I read some positive reviews on other sites via Google but I was wondering if anyone else has tried it on NES.

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/100834/reviews.htm

I looked at the stuff this weekend at BPS...What kind of coating did they have on the bullets? I read the packaging, but don't remember what they said the bullets were coated with...

Resonably priced too...~$20 for a box of 50 in .40 S&W

EDIT: Found it......Winchester Lubalox......WTF is Lubalox???

Last edited:
A while back, it was all I could find at BPS, I bought a bunch in 45ACP, and have shot about 300 or so through my Kimber, which is a total snob, with no problems. I would buy more if it were priced right.

I looked at the stuff this weekend at BPS...What kind of coating did they have on the bullets? I read the packaging, but don't remember what they said the bullets were coated with...

Resonably priced too...~$20 for a box of 50 in .40 S&W

EDIT: Found it......Winchester Lubalox......WTF is Lubalox???

I found some info on the coating on Winchesters site:

Link

What is the difference between Lubalox and Moly Coating?

Lubalox Coating:

* Black oxide
* First used in early 1990
* Does not increase diameter of bullet
* Used on Accubond CT®, Ballistic Silvertip®, E-tip and XP3® product lines
* Does not harm barrel
* Reduces barrel fouling
* Does not require barrel "seasoning"

Moly Coating:

* Molybdenum Disulfide
* First used in late 1990
* Increases diameter of bullet
* Was used on part or all of Power-Point® Plus, Partition Gold® Rifle, and one Hornet SKU
* Did not harm barrel
* For optimum performance barrel "seasoning" was required
* Could cause accuracy problems in some guns

# Will Lubalox harm the gun barrel?

Lubalox does not harm the barrel. In fact, testing shows that the coating often reduces barrel fouling.

# What product lines is Lubalox used on?

The Lubalox coating is used on AccuBond®CT®, Ballistic Silvertip®, E-Tip and XP3® product lines.

# When was Lubalox introduced?

The Lubalox coating was introduced in the early 90's on the Ballistic Silvertip® line. Considered one of Winchester's most successful introductions, this is the company's second largest rifle ammo line.

# What are the benefits of Lubalox?

The primary benefits of Lubalox is reduced barrel fouling. The process creates a surface on the bullet jacket, which increases the amount of shots possible between cleanings. Unlike moly-coated bullets, Lubalox coated bullets leave the barrel residue-free and do not require barrel "seasoning". Additionally, unlike uncoated bullets that tarnish over time, Lubalox protects the surface of the bullet jacket, keeping it looking like new.

# What is Lubalox®?

Lubalox® is the trade name Winchester® uses to describe a black oxide process. It is a very thin oxide bullet coating, often compared to the bluing on a steel firearm.

I've shot about 500-750 through my Beretta 92. They are clean and reliable, great for the range. Only one bad part, use a loader, if you don't your fingers will be black for the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom