WinClean ammo? I think my 1911 hates it...

Folks. Any of you try the Winchester “Winclean” ammo? I ended up with 6 boxes of this stuff by mistake. Asked the goofy kid for my usual “Winchester white box in .45 ACP” and got this stuff which does come in white box, but I digress. Anyway…

I was having some problems with my 1911, which (appeared) to be corrected by a change of mag springs, recoil spring, and firing pin spring, and some minor work on the feedramp by the smith. Has been running smother than a prom queens (add dirty joke here) for the last 300 or so rnds. Issues I was having for reference:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=279370

However, shot an IDPA match yesterday and had two odd FTF using this ammo for the first time. This winclean stuff is 185g and has an odd shape to the bullet. I’m assuming the problem was the bullet vs the gun as the type of failure (hard to explain, but it seemed like some type of double feed) as it’s never had that issue before.

Also, I shoot exclusively 230g ball and occasionally 230g JHP (testing carry ammo once in a while to make sure what I carry feeds) and use a heavier recoil spring, so I wonder if it’s a simple matter of the 185g bullet.

Right now, my assumption is the gun simply does not like this ammo, but I wont know until I get back to the range and run a bunch of 230g through it and see if it only does it with this ammo.

On the plus side, I must say when they say “clean” they mean it. I was amazed the patch came out almost totally clean when I ran it through after 100rnd. Kinda weird honestly. The barrel literally as clean as if I had not shot at all.

Any of you use this ammo? Have problems with it as (I think) I did? Like it? Hate it? Personally don’t plan on buying it again and will scrutinize my “white box” ammo purchase much closer. Like I said, right now my conclusion is my gun don’t dig this ammo, but only future testing will confirm.

185g “Winclean” .45 ACP:

DSC01023.jpg

Will,

My SW1911 hates eating WinClean. I love using it because it's clean and it leaves nice round holes in the paper. Yet, it will not feed reliably. From what I've read, polishing the ramp will help. I never got around to it and now use WinClean in my revolver (I haven't modified anything on the 1911 .. it's stock). Winchester White Box makes a right mess of my 1911, so I switched to CCI Blazer. It's a lot cleaner (230 grain ball), yet ejects the aluminum cases right at my face. Oh well, I wear a hat.

If you do polish the ramp or get it polished, please let us know the results.

Back
Top Bottom