• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Day hiking prep

They have them for inside your shoes too. I tried them out one time tailgating at a Pats game. They were actually too warm, but of course I wasn't stranded in the woods in snow.

Yeah, and in a pinch if you have to sit still you could stuff them inside your joints. I use them up when winter camping and coyote hunting.

One problem with hydration systems is some people tend to drink too much since it’s always available at the spout. Now you are just spending time peeing more and melting snow for water. If you use water bottles you can better monitor your intake. I carry 2 - 1 liter wide mouths (ice blockage less of a problem) and drink 200/300 ml per hour. If you sweat like a pig on a moderate pace you can carry more water or work on your base fitness. I’ve seen some recommendations as high as 500 ml /hr, I’d burst at that rate.

A fairly standard approach on big mountains is to move for 1 hr then stop for 5 mins to pee, eat, drink. Repeat. This keeps things moving, warm and efficient which is key in the winter.

The planet is your oyster:
you can walk in any direction, and the ground cover has no say in the matter.

One problem with hydration systems is some people tend to drink too much since it’s always available at the spout.
I did run out of a full 70oz Camelbak plus two bike bottle refills
on the way down Boott Spur one (summer) day.
But it wasn't really a problem.

On the one hand, there's how the medical tents at the Boston Marathon
won't run an IV without a blood test to see if the patient is parched or flooded.

On the other hand, I'm still gobsmacked at a colleague's husband
taking a swig, swishing it around his mouth, and spitting it out.
(MA/NH - not Arizona; or would that be more egregious?).

Regarding fluids:

I like to use insulated bottles (big fan of Hydroflask, personally). Pre-heat with boiling water, then fill with hot water. Depending on how far I’m driving and how far I’m walking once I get there, I might do this at home, or I have a electric kettle that plugs into the cigarette outlet in the car.

If you’re short on insulated bottles (they’re not cheap), I would recommend using the ones you do have for water, and putting disgustingly warm Gatorade (or similar, I usually use nuun ) in the uninsulated ones, on the off chance the sugar/salt depresses the freezing point enough that it’ll stay drinkable.

Otherwise/also, keeping the bottle you’re actively drinking from inside your jacket can help too.

As for everything else, I like to pack enough clothing that I could put it all on, and be just warm enough that sitting down for a half hour lunch break won’t be uncomfortable. It’s a decent balance IMO between packing too much, and freezing to death if you get stuck overnight.

-Two flashlights. I don’t care how long the planned hike is, or what time of year.

-Pealess whistle. I like the Fox 40, and the Vargo Ti emergency whistle. Bonus: a lot of hiking packs will have one built into the sternum strap buckle.

-Jetboil or other stove. Don’t underestimate the benefits of a hot drink or meal. I carry a JB Flash, a few teabags (Oolong, usually), and some instant oatmeal packets.

I have an old school Aladdin Stanley thermos that keeps fluids hot for long periods of time. I think they claim you can get 32 hours out of one, which I can attest to. I work 24 hour shifts and have made tea at home to bring to work. Sixteen hours into the shift I underestimated how warm it would keep it and burned myself. I'm sure cold temps might affect it, and it might be a bit heavy and bulky, but I have one already, so what the hell. Might be good to fill with boiling water to have as a spare for emergencies.

1607549592618.jpeg
Forgot about this! My Ukranian friend introduced me to this. He said soldiers in the field during winters needed a big morale boost. Hot soup was the answer. I say bring 2: one for soup, one for hot tea! It’s pretty nice when you’re freezing your ass off at the summit and you have hot food at your disposal.

Last edited:
View attachment 420815
Forgot about this! My Ukranian friend introduced me to this. He said soldiers in the field during winters needed a big morale boost. Hot soup was the answer. I say bring 2: one for soup, one for hot tea! It’s pretty nice when you’re freezing your ass off at the summit and you have hot food at your disposal.
The big thermos’ are a bit on the big/heavy side, but one thing is for sure: with a good preheat, then filled with freshly boiled water, you’ll have hot water for a day plus, and liquid water for basically forever.

Another thing I’ll mention: tea is easily the most palatable and stomach-friendly hot liquid. I prefer Oolong for the flavor and mild caffeine content.

Trail map and compass, for sure. A topographic map of the area will show where roads, rivers, railroad tracks, buildings, etc. are. Turn around, before you think you need to. Daylight is your frind. Snow should make it easy to follow you footprints back. And rule no. 1. DON'T go alone. Stay safe.

Snow should make it easy to follow you footprints back.
maxresdefault.jpg

And rule no. 1. DON'T go alone. Stay safe.
This is more important than anything. Winter hiking has far less people than summer hiking. You won't see other people often, if at all. Nobody is going to save you.

Everything is more challenging in winter hiking: hydration, food, navigation, pacing, carried weight, energy requirements, treating injuries, electronics dying in freezing temps. You absolutely need at least partner to winter hike with. Small groups are the best.

This is more important than anything. Winter hiking has far less people than summer hiking. You won't see other people often, if at all. Nobody is going to save you.
The exception that proves the rule:
Oncet a colleague was snowshoeing up Cannon on the Kinsman Ridge trail
after a wicked snow storm, and his party bumped up against another one.

At the steepest spot the trail was armpit deep in powder,
and they couldn't make progress. The two groups collaborated -
each person in turn would take point and windmill for five minutes to pack some trail;
then fall back and let the next person take over.
Each person might make only a couple yards of progress in that time.

They got 'er done, but it was excruciating.

Now in case of emergency, that's a short descent to Lonesome Lake.
And it's nothing compared to any tale about hiking above treeline.

But you wouldn't want to be faced with such powder conditions
in the middle of nowhere, and have to move forward to exit.

Back
Top Bottom