Winter Shooting Gloves

You can take a pair of mechanic gloves or the like, rub Vaseline on your hands, put on latex exam gloves then the mechanic style gloves over and be warm while still maintaining dexterity. I've done this while working outside on extremely cold days, beats wearing a glove that makes you useless.

Whats the science behind the Vaseline and latex gloves ?

Outdoor research gloves are good, but expensive.

Yesterday I was at the range and had borrowed my wife's black diamond gloves. It was 20 degrees out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001HZ5BRO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

They actually worked really well...warm and not much thicker than bare fingers. No problem operating the Garand, Arisaka, and even my daughter's cricket rifle with them.

When it's very cold, combine with thinsulate style mittens that you can pull back the finger cover.

I'm also looking at milsurp cold weather shooters gloves. But I think I might get my own pair of black diamonds.

The latex gloves are just to keep the Vaseline contained. The Vaseline seems to trap body heat somehow.

Yeah, when I run in the uber cold winter days/nights a little Vaseline on exposed skin makes a huge difference. I think it keeps the cold air from being in direct contact with your skin. Or it's magic. Either way, it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in Germany, I had a pair of sniper gloves. Warm, and the index finger was removable. I just use mechanix now, good enough for me.

I got two pairs of these for free at a Nascar race, Irwin Tools had a demonstration exhibit and they were giving stuff away.
I like the open fingertips especially for loading and unloading single action revolvers.

carpenters-gloves-1017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom