Woman's CCW?

AF1

What do folks recommend for a woman's CCW? Do we have any woman on the board who can make a suggestion?

I've talked my wife into getting her license, and we're going to hit the range so she can get a feel for a few things. She seems kind of partial to revolvers. Would a S&W J frame in .38 special be the ticket?

Absolutely NOT unless your purpose is to get her to hate shooting. The smaller revolvers tend to have more recoil than their larger brethren, and that is definitely a way to scare off a new shooter.

IF she's dead set on a revolver, have her try a full size revolver, like a K-frame - for a novice shooter they are much more pleasant to shoot. Heck, after 30 years of shooting I don't even enjoy shooting my J-frame. I do it because I need to stay proficient with it since I carry it. But I prefer my K-frame Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel for shooting fun, AND for carry if I'm wearing clothes which allow me to conceal it.

Have her try all sorts of guns at a rental range if you can - AFS in North Attleboro and S&W in Springfield are two good places to go.

Last edited:
I am a woman, and as a woman, I will tell you the only right choice is what she feels comfortable carrying and shooting. Let her try many, and choose what feels good to her. There isn't a right or wrong choice for a woman, just the right choice for her.

I am a woman, and as a woman, I will tell you the only right choice is what she feels comfortable carrying and shooting. Let her try many, and choose what feels good to her. There isn't a right or wrong choice for a woman, just the right choice for her.

Serious words of wisdom here.

Only the shooter can determine what works best for him/her. There is no "one size fits all" solution, least of all with having a man pick a gun for a woman.

... and to add to all of the comments above... make sure that she can properly and safely OPERATE the handgun. Just because she can hold it, shoot it, and conceal it does not mean that's an appropriate gun for her. She also needs to be able to operate the slide and safely UNLOAD & CLEAR the handgun.

... That's how I got HER PM9, and how SHE got MY K9...

I agree, and that's why we're going to the range. Just wanted to get a few ideas...

Contrary to popular belief there are no "special guns for women" or guns that are "better for women" and trying to do inane things like buying them .380s and other garbage like that typically won't produce the dividends expected.

They have to choose the gun on their own. Buying them something will just ensure that it stays in a safe at home, unused.

-Mike

Last edited:

Well said... Can I quote you in classes when the question comes up?

Just keep in mind....

1) Smaller guns often recoil more

2) Smaller autos have stiffer springs, especially those in .380 and smaller, which are often blowback and not locked-breech.

I have tried a bunch of different firearms. I ended up with a S&W M&P9c and a Ruger LCP. But it took me about a year to decide on the S&W.

So like people have said no one can choose the firearm for your wife, just have her try all different types until she finds one she is comfortable with. My first few times carrying were with my Sig Mosquito to get used to having a firearm on my person. Which for me was a lot harder to get used to then figuring out what firearm in what caliber to carry.

Just keep in mind....

1) Smaller guns often recoil more

2) Smaller autos have stiffer springs, especially those in .380 and smaller, which are often blowback and not locked-breech.

My wife carries a .380 my daughter carries a .45 most of the time when she has to she takes the smaller 9mm.

Myself and a few other women on the board carry 45's. As others have said, it has to do with what is comfortable in her hands. Where are you located? Between my husband and I, we have a few revolvers and semi-autos. I would be more than happy to take her to the range and let her try out a few different guns.
We are in the Plymouth area. Let me know.

My wife tried my 642 and looked at my like I was insane. She did enjoy the same round in the 686 though. Obviously it's a very different experience. :)

Back
Top Bottom