Woo Hoo my Dillon 550 arrived (pictures added)

The Goose

NES Member
I ordered it last Friday and it arrived this afternoon. I watched the video and I am pumped. I got all of the extras except for the automatic case feeder conversion. I am dying to set it up, but i have to go out tonight. This press looks incredible.

Last edited:
Way to go. Now you can snub your nose at the high cost of loaded ammo.
Of course, you will replace that worry with concern over the high cost of bullets!!!

Congrats. I've had my 550 since around 1993 and the press, and especially Dillon as a company couldn't be better.
-Cuz.

Just be patient with learning the operation. It takes some time to learn how to operate it and you will have to tweak it in order to get it to run properly. Keep the primer bar clean using alcohol every few hundred rounds.

This forum has some great tips in operating the machine..

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

If you are nearby, Kittery Trading Post does stock some of the Dillon items such as powder measures and the quick change kits for the same price as Dillon direct.

You might want to pick up a spare parts kit. Even through Dillon will replace anything that breaks or even lost, this saves you the down time waiting for them to ship it out. It contains many of the items that tend to wear out over a period of time.

If you didn't order the "Strong Mount" get one. Also make sure your bench is rock solid. You will be applying a lot of force when operating the press. I bolted my bench to the floor and wall and store lead on the bottom shelf.

The "Achille's Heel" of the 550 is the priming system. Dirt from the primer pockets gets into it because the priming is done at the same station as the resizing/decapping. I keeep a tooth brush handy and clean the primer slide and press every once in a while.

I have had my 550 for over 20 years and love it. Good luck with yours.

Pics will follow once I get it set up. I did get the strong mount and the spare parts kit. Also aluminum roller handle, bullet tray, cover, tools etc. I did not get the low powder alarm as it did not seem so necessary.

Question? How many get additional tool heads for other calibers? Is that a good way to go?

get em

I would recommend getting them.... along with a powder die
for that caliber and moving the powder dispenser as needed.

Also get the tool head holder for each caliber or make one.

JimB

Awesome Goose -- setup should only take about 1/2 hour or so then another 1/2 hour to 1 hour setting up your first caliber to press. Enjoy it!!!
I have purchased extra tool heads and quick caliber conversation kits to make changing calibers as simple as removing and replacing the tool head.

The price of the press is inconsequential compared to the conversion kits, quick change kits that are added on later. I shutter when I think about the total cost I have into the setup. But it makes loading pistol ammo so easy I tend not to worry about it.

The perfect setup down the road is a second machine set up to load large primers and another to load small primers.

Once you get used to the operation, swapping calibers is a snap. Even better, I load mostly 30-06, 308 and 45ACP which all use the small shell holders. All I do is slide in the dies set up with the powder measure and I'm set to go in a few minutes.

Congrats on the press! It'll be loads of fun (hardy har-har) But seriously... you'll really enjoy it!

I've a favor to ask from someone with the strong mount (I think they're the same for the 650 and 550) But does anyone have dimensions? All I really need is the height and the width at the bottom. Any help is appreciated

Pics will follow once I get it set up. I did get the strong mount and the spare parts kit. Also aluminum roller handle, bullet tray, cover, tools etc. I did not get the low powder alarm as it did not seem so necessary.

Question? How many get additional tool heads for other calibers? Is that a good way to go?

I use extra tool heads and powder measures; it makes caliber conversions a snap.

I spent the last 3 days slowly setting up my new Dillon, but here she is. Let me just say that the little extras I bought were well worth it. The tool rack mounted on the back is outstanding, especially when tinkering while getting adjusted and acclimated. The right tool is in front of you all the time. Also the bullet holder and empty case holder are extremely convenient. The advice given repetitvely by others to get the strong mount is now reiterated by me. It is worth it.

I loaded 200 rds of .44 special this morning and what a joy. I am going very slowly right now and just learning the machine. It is truly a marvel. When I got into reloading I ignored the advice of many who said go right to the Dillon 550. Now I know why that advice was so common. This is one hell of a machine. If I had it to do again I would go straight to the Dillon and spend the dollars I wasted on other stuff on additonal caliber conversions, tool heads, dies etc. It does take a bit of work to set up and understand the Dillon, but even that process was enjoyable.

Dillon550002.jpg

Dillon550001.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Is it smoother than the Lee? I have a Loadmaster, and it seems to hang up a bit on the deprimer/resizer die. It wasn't bad with .45 acp, but doing 9mm now really stinks.

Jr

same thing

I made the same mistake. I thought i could do it with a less expensive
press... it did work, but i wasted a lot of time tinkering with it
to get it running making it difficult to produce any volume.

I bought a Dillon.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom