Wood or Plastic on an AK type rifle?

Guys,
I sure it has been posted here before, but do you prefer wood (old school) or plastic furniture on an AK type rifle?

Wood would be from Ironwood designs.

Plastic would be american made just like the Bulgarian stuff Kvar sells.

The third option is a rail system like the U.S. Palm set.

Thanks,
smitty

Last edited:
I'm old school. I preferred wood. But if I need a gizmo rifle, I'll add rail and toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood for your first.

When you buy a second one, put anything you want on it. I bet pink decoupage grips with hello kitty stickers would be hawt

sent from tapatalk mobile app

The plastic K-Var stuff that is US made looks pretty close to the russian / bulgarian plum furniture. The black looks close to the bulgarian black plastic, too. Both are a little bit lighter than the deeper hues, but it's more along the lines of the "original" look than Tapco crap.

It's very light, too. My bulgarian AK-74 that I built is my lightest AK.

But, there is something to be said about the wood grain of a nice AK stock set... I have russian Tula wood waiting on a Tula AKM kit build that I have, and it's absolutely, positively beautiful. It has a very old smell of faint formaldehyde, iodine, old shelac, and pine tar. The wood grain changes color as you twist it in the sunlight. There are old russian proof stamps that were punched when the shelac was young and limber. It's... beautiful.

My romanian wood has another type of beauty- it's rough around the edges. And solid. There is no beauty to it except it's even color and rugged looks.

the pictures actually make the romanian wood look better than it is, as well as mask some of the beauty of the russian wood. If I could learn how to take better pictures, I might be able to capture some of the luster of the luminescent grain coloration of the ruskie stuff.

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

here's the "Battlefield Pick Up" (BFPU) styled Type 3 russian wood that I have on a kit that is getting rewelded back together. It looks pretty beat, but it's got some pretty interesting marks as well as colorization, as if it were used for war like purposes other than taking recoil (it has Israeli acceptance marks on it, so it's seen conflict in the middle east, at the very least). It's dark, and will lend to a very nice look on a hot blued gun.. it's so dark that it's almost intimidating, especially for the typical AR fanboi.

IMG_1153.jpg

and here's the bulgarian AK74 build with the "faux" bulgy/ruskie Kevlar stuff.

IMG_1044.jpg

as long as you don't go with something cheesy looking, like a AR-15 stock, I would be fine with it. [grin]

Last edited:
I like the looks of wood on AKs, but I have a lot of trouble finding wood furniture that I think is priced fairly. I dont want to buy a beat up set since I have no ability to refinish wood.

I have plastic on my 74's and the stock weird wood on my old MAK-90

I like the looks of wood on AKs, but I have a lot of trouble finding wood furniture that I think is priced fairly. I dont want to buy a beat up set since I have no ability to refinish wood.

I have plastic on my 74's and the stock weird wood on my old MAK-90

the russian wood aint cheap, that's for sure. The Tula stuff came on a $400 AK kit. The Russian Type III kit cost me $600. On their own, russian stuff runs anywhere from $150 to $250, depending on whether it's the real deal, new old stock, or Ukrainian refurbished.

The Romanian stuff cost me $50 in a "box of crap" from a AK builder in Oregon. Unless you browse enthusiast sites where people are willing to let go of good stuff on the cheap, you're going to pay out the nose for good stuff.

Ironwood Designs makes some very good looking US wood. But it costs a pretty penny. And then you have to finish it off yourself, which can be fun- especially if you're trying the "old country" ways of swedish pine tar and melting your own shelac bugs.

That's one of those "tastes great... less filling" questions.

It all depends on your tastes (obviously), and the AK the furniture is going on (are you looking for authenticity?).

Ironwood Designs does manufacture some quality products, but it's almost too clean, and showroom furniture like in appearance... it just doesn't have that "look" factor no matter how good your refinishing skills are if you had used an original stock set.

The K-Var poly stock sets are nice, but way over priced.

I have a Bulgarian Arsenal AK that I would love to put plum furniture on, but I really can't justify the cost/expense just for appearance when there's already a perfectly good stock set on there.

If I were you... Google around until you find the "look" that just grabs you by the balls and duplicate as best as you can.

Ohhhh... and my triplets....[smile]

aks.jpg

the wood on that underfolder looks outstanding. Nice hardware, all around!

Thanks.

Considering that it was my second attempt at home building, I'm really happy with the way it came out... even if I had to weld the stock in place. [sad]

pkmks2.jpg

INFO:
The rifle is an milled Arsenal of Bulgaria SA-93. Right now it has no furniture on it at all.
I have changed out: all the fire control parts, gas piston, and safety lever with US made parts.
Under 922r I can now with a US stock set add a pistol grip.
(Note the rifle has no cleaning rod, or slant brake, so it will never be a 100% right unless I thread the barrel and change the front sight out.)
I do have the lower tang to install (if needed)
I am thinking of a Ironwood Designs stock set for a milled single tang Bulgarian rifle.

smitty

Okay, I think Ironwood may be the way to go.
Just a few more questions what options?
I mean what grip / hand guard options if any?
Would this look okay, single tang butstock, with recoil pad, flat checkered pistol grip, and then AKM-RUSSIAN pattern hand guards?
Like I said before, my rifle is never going to be 100% correct.
I just want a good quality AK that will be liked by me.
As for finish it will be Brownell’s Molycoat, Alumahide, or Duracoat.
Thanks for all the replies so far.
smitty

Wood on Chinese (seeing plastic on a chinese ak makes me sad)

Plastic is fine on everything else.

I'm not very much into AK's, but if I was going to get one, I would either go for the Russian laminate wood, or plum polymer.

i think an ak belongs with wood ironwood designs used to make some really nice walnut ak stocks a few years back i dont know if they are still around though

i didint read fully before posting before cant wait to see some pics of the new stock

Back
Top Bottom